issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

Naparima slip gives St Anthony’s, Presentation big chance

By September 29, 2019
SSFL Premier Division action between Trinity College East and Speyside. SSFL Premier Division action between Trinity College East and Speyside.

Naparima College still hold a one-point lead at the top of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Premier Division but it is tenuous after Saturday’s round of games saw them give up two valuable points, putting St Anthony’s and Presentation College within striking distance.

Presentation College were the team this week on a bye, but they are just two points behind Naparima College with a game in hand. St Anthony’s College were comfortable winners against Trinity College Moka, the 3-1 result putting them just a point behind Naparima. They too have a game in hand, meaning Naparima could find themselves slipping to third if the chasing teams don’t slip.

Playing against Pleasantville Secondary, one would have expected the defending champions to have an easy day, but the game was anything but.

The seventh-place team would end up holding the champions 2-2.

Malick Secondary, who at one stage led the league, are in a stall, failing to win for the third week in a row, again the score 2-1. This time it was Carapichaima East that kept them pointless, helping their free fall in the table. Malick are now ninth, down from the fourth place spot they held last week.

This week it is Carapichaima who hold down the number four spot on the table.

East Mucurapo are fifth on the table after they enjoyed a 2-0 win over St Benedict’s College. The losers of that game now find themselves last on the table with just three points.

If there is a light at the end of the tunnel for St Benedict’s, it is the fact that they are just a point off 12th position on the 15-team tablen with St Augustine, Trinity College Moka and St Mary’s College all on four points.

Speyside Secondary are on the move, climbing to seven points and eighth place after a 2-1 win away at Trinity College East, while San Juan North Secondary visited Queen’s Royal College (QRC) where they pulled off a 4-0 mauling.

San Juan are up to sixth on the table, while QRC are 10th.

St Mary’s College seem to have stopped the bleeding, at least for now, earning their second points of the campaign after a 1-1 draw with St Augustine.

The two lie 12th and 13th respectively.

Pos

Team

P

W

D

L

F

A

+-

Pts

1

Naparima College

6

4

2

0

15

7

8

14

2

St Anthony's College

5

4

1

0

16

4

12

13

3

Presentation College

5

4

0

1

17

2

15

12

4

Carapichaima East Secondary

5

3

2

0

8

5

3

11

5

East Mucurapo Secondary

5

2

2

1

11

6

5

8

6

San Juan North Secondary

5

2

1

2

11

4

7

7

7

Pleasantville Secondary

6

2

1

3

8

9

-1

7

8

Speyside Secondary

5

2

1

2

7

16

-9

7

9

Malik Secondary

5

2

0

3

10

7

3

6

10

Queen's Royal College

5

2

0

3

8

15

-7

6

11

Trinity College East

5

1

2

2

6

9

-3

5

12

St Augustine Secondary

6

0

4

2

9

12

-3

4

13

St Mary's College

6

1

1

4

5

14

-9

4

14

Trinity College Moka

6

1

1

4

6

19

-13

4

15

St Benedict's College

5

1

0

4

5

13

-8

3

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia all tried to sign Elneny, says agent Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia all tried to sign Elneny, says agent

    Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia all tried to sign Mohamed Elneny from Arsenal during the transfer window, according to the midfielder's agent.

    Elneny swapped Arsenal for Besiktas on a season-long loan in August after falling down the midfield pecking order at Emirates Stadium.

    The Egypt international was also said to be wanted by other clubs, while reports in Italy this week suggested AC Milan may make an approach in the January window.

    "He received a lot of offers last summer, led by Leicester City, West Ham and Valencia, but Besiktas managed to settle the deal with Arsenal," agent Alan Nazmy told Egyptian TV channel Time Sport.

    "Milan and Roma previously tried to sign the player during the last winter transfer window, but the negotiations didn't work then, and he received more than one offer as well."

    Asked about fresh rumoured interest from Milan, Nazmy said: "I can't talk about it."

    Elneny made 89 appearances for Arsenal in all competitions after joining from Swiss side FC Basel in 2016, including 17 outings last season.

    Arsenal boss Unai Emery allowed the 27-year-old to leave following the arrival of Dani Ceballos and emergence of academy product Joe Willock, but the door has not been closed on a return next year.

    "Emery didn't ask for his departure from Arsenal because of his performance," Nazmy said. "He demanded that [Elneny] took a chance to develop his performance and return again.

    "It is possible for him to play with Arsenal again. It still remains a strong possibility."

  • Emotional Stoichkov calls for tough sanctions on Bulgaria after England clash Emotional Stoichkov calls for tough sanctions on Bulgaria after England clash

    Bulgaria great Hristo Stoichkov fought back tears in a TV appearance as he demanded action over the racist abuse England players suffered in their Euro 2020 qualifier in Sofia.

    The former Ballon d'Or winner suggested "heavier punishments" than stadium closures could be required in response to the shameful scenes that marred Monday's match.

    A section of Bulgaria supporters aimed monkey chants at Raheem Sterling, Tyrone Mings and Marcus Rashford and were also seen performing Nazi salutes.

    Bulgarian Football Union president Borislav Mihaylov stepped down amid the fallout and UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the organisation.

    The abuse witnessed at Vasil Levski National Stadium moved 53-year-old Stoichkov during an appearance on TUDN programme Futbol Central.

    "People don't deserve to suffer," Stoichkov said, before becoming emotional and hanging his head.

    Play was twice halted in the first half on Monday before a group of fans were ejected from the ground.

    Asked about about a suitable sanction, former Barcelona forward Stoichkov said: "That fans are not allowed in the stadium, or even heavier punishments, like in England a few years ago."

    Stoichkov did not specify a particular incident involving punishment in England. He may have meant the ban from European club competitions imposed after the 1985 Heysel Stadium disaster, when English clubs were barred from UEFA competitions for five years, and Liverpool excluded for a further year.

    The Sofia stadium that hosted Monday's match had already been partially closed as a result of racist behaviour from fans during qualifiers against Kosovo and the Czech Republic in June.

    Bulgaria head coach Krasimir Balakov issued an apology on Wednesday and condemned the racist abuse after initially stating he did not hear it occur during his team's 6-0 defeat.

    "I would like to say very clearly: since there were cases of racial discrimination in Sofia, I would like to sincerely apologise to the English footballers and to all those who felt offended," Balakov said.

  • Inter forward Sanchez undergoes successful ankle surgery Inter forward Sanchez undergoes successful ankle surgery

    Inter forward Alexis Sanchez has undergone successful surgery on his injured left ankle, the Serie A club have confirmed.

    Sanchez was substituted late in Chile's friendly win over Colombia on Saturday, with a dislocated joint causing damage to his peroneus longus tendon.

    The 30-year-old travelled to Barcelona on Wednesday for a consultation with professor Ramon Cugat and it was decided the issue should be operated on.

    A statement on Inter's official website read: "The visit [with Cugat] confirmed the diagnosis of the Inter medical staff and the decision was made to proceed with surgery on the left ankle.

    "The operation was performed in the afternoon on the peroneus longus tendon and it went exactly as planned."

    Sanchez, who joined Inter on a season-long loan from Manchester United in August, is expected to miss three months of action.

    The ex-Arsenal star has made four appearances for Antonio Conte's side this term, scoring one goal in Serie A, though he was sent off later in the same match against Sampdoria.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.