issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

The memories that brought the SSFL into your home and hearts

By Sports Desk September 26, 2018

The Secondary Schools Football League Premier ship division is upon us again. Take a walk down memory lane with SportsMax as we bring you memories of those moments you've found hard to forget.

Related items

  • Sarri tells Juventus players to adapt to game-changer Ronaldo Sarri tells Juventus players to adapt to game-changer Ronaldo

    Maurizio Sarri has told his Juventus squad they must adapt to Cristiano Ronaldo's game after hailing him as the "player who makes the difference".

    The Portugal international plundered 28 goals in his debut campaign for the Bianconeri following his move from Real Madrid, guiding them to an eighth successive Serie A title.

    He picked up where he left off in Juve's first pre-season game ahead of the 2019-20 season on Sunday, scoring a typically clinical goal in his side's 3-2 International Champions Cup (ICC) defeat to Tottenham.

    Speaking ahead of an ICC clash against Italian rivals Inter on Wednesday, head coach Sarri made it clear Ronaldo will be the focal point of his side in the forthcoming campaign.

    "He will be the player who will make the difference for us so the other 10 will have to adapt to him," Sarri told a media conference.

    "During this tour he will play mostly as a left offensive striker, knowing very well he likes to move more central next to the other striker.

    "As a team we have to be quick to adapt to his movements since he is capable of making the difference and he will do it for sure. In the first game, he scored and had a further couple of chances."

    The defeat to Tottenham also saw the debut of Matthijs de Ligt, the new signing from Ajax who arrived last week for an initial fee of €75million.

    Sarri described the 19-year-old as a "phenomenal prospect" but would not be drawn on whether he will command an immediate place in his preferred starting XI.

    "De Ligt is a phenomenal prospect," Sarri said. "He is a 19-year-old kid who has already been captain in an important club like Ajax so he is an important prospect.

    "I don’t know whether he will stay on the bench or not. If not, on the bench there will be other important defenders like [Leonardo] Bonucci, [Giorgio] Chiellini and [Daniele] Rugani."

  • T&T need better opponents than Caribbean teams claims U-15 coach Fevrier T&T need better opponents than Caribbean teams claims U-15 coach Fevrier

    Trinidad and Tobago national under 15 team coach Stuart Charles Fevrier has called on the TTFA to secure more matches with Central American opponents in order to close the gap between the twin-island republic and CONCACAF’s top teams.

    The recently concluded TTFA Youth Invitational football tournament proved to be a chastening experience for the national team.  The young Trinidadians lost matches to Panama, Venezuela, and Mexico. 

    The match-up with the Panamanians was closely contested with T&T losing 5-4 by the odd goal, the team, however, went on to lose 4-0 and 4-1 to Venezuela and Mexico respectively.

    With the tournament serving as a warm-up for the CONCACAF Under-15 Championship in August, the gulf in quality has proven to be a concern.

    “We need to play more Central American and North American teams instead of Caribbean teams.  It’s not that we can’t play Caribbean teams, we are from the Caribbean region but I believe now we have to focus a lot more on the Central American and North American teams.  If we are to qualify for any major competition these are the teams we have to beat,” Fevrier said.

    “Playing against Caribbean teams is a lower level obviously because when you watched the level of football tonight (against Mexico) for me it was very high,” he added.

    “In the last 10 minutes they were still going, it was nothing for them.  They already have a professional mentality and our boys are still playing college football.”

  • Bale's agent not interested in 'slanging matches' with Madrid boss Zidane Bale's agent not interested in 'slanging matches' with Madrid boss Zidane

    Gareth Bale's agent is not willing to enter into "slanging matches" with Zinedine Zidane after the Real Madrid boss claimed the Wales forward refused to play in the pre-season friendly with Bayern Munich.

    Madrid boss Zidane accused Bale of making his own decision not to feature in the International Champions Cup defeat to the Bundesliga champions at the weekend.

    The absence occurred in the wake of Zidane admitting his desire for the 30-year-old to be sold sooner rather than later.

    Bale's agent, Jonathan Barnett, branded the Frenchman a "disgrace" in response to those comments, but insisted there would be no ongoing war of words on Tuesday.

    "That's not something we've ever spoken about [missing the Bayern game]. I'm not getting into any slanging matches," Barnett told Omnisport.

    "I've never criticised anybody for anything other than what they said or what they did."

    Bale joined LaLiga giants Madrid in 2013 and signed a lucrative contract extension in 2016.

    And with three seasons still left to run on that deal, there is no urgency from his camp to force a resolution.

    Barnett confirmed on Tuesday to Sky Sports News that the player will not consider a loan move away from the Spanish capital amid strong links to the Chinese Super League, where clubs are reportedly considering offering wages of £1million per week.

    Barnett declined to reveal Bale's preference for China or Europe, adding: "If Gareth finds something that he really likes then we'll talk about it.

    "He's a Real Madrid player. He's got three years on his contract. Nothing can change that fact.

    "If he didn't have a contract it would be a problem for him. But he's fine. He's signed a contract and he's fine."

    Madrid face Arsenal in an International Champions Cup clash in Maryland on Tuesday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.