Valencia Secondary get harsh welcome to SSFL with San Juan drubbing

By September 13, 2018

A double header at the Marvin Lee Stadium opened the Secondary Schools Football League Premiership division where the promoted Valencia Secondary faced a rude awakening in the form of San Juan North Secondary and a 3-0 defeat. 

It took just 15 minutes for Valencia to self destruct, their willingness to pass the ball short leading to a 15th-minute goal from the boot of Isiah Thomas.

Valencia had not learnt their lesson yet though and would be caught in possession again in the first half, this time Jerry Morris making them pay with his 27th-minute strike.

In the second half, Valencia started sprightly and looked to provide some problems for San Juan down either flank, their wingers showing good pace and skill for the first 10 minutes.

As San Juan slowly came into their own in the half, the brilliance of the Valencia attackers ounted for nill, as they would again shoot themselves in the foot, losing the ball for Renaldo Boyce to score.

The start wasn’t the one Valencia were looking for but some of their attacks were quite beautiful to watch.

In the second game of the double header there were no goals between Trinity College East and St Benedict’s, two teams that ended closer to the bottom of the SSFL table than they would have liked last season.

The football was good though, and St Benedicts in particular, put together some sublime attacks that should have, had it not been for very faulty shooting, resulting in at least a couple of goals.

For St benedict's, the most guilty of the parties was their captain, Keon Boney, who while showing enterprise in the attacking third, missed two sitters.

 

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • ICC World Cup warm-up:  Australia bt England by 12 runs ICC World Cup warm-up: Australia bt England by 12 runs

    Australia proved they will be challenging for their sixth World Cup title this summer after beating England by 12 runs in their warm-up match in Southampton.

  • ICC World Cup warm-up:  New Zealand bt India by 6 wickets ICC World Cup warm-up: New Zealand bt India by 6 wickets

    New Zealand cruised to a six-wicket win in their World Cup warm-up against India at The Oval.

  • Galatasaray leading race to sign Babel Galatasaray leading race to sign Babel

    Ryan Babel has had offers from several teams but says Galatasaray have made the most tempting proposal.

    The Netherlands international is looking for a new club after being released by Fulham following their relegation from the Premier League in 2018-19.

    The 32-year-old has been strongly linked with a return to the Turkish Super Lig, where he won the title with Besiktas in 2016-17.

    Despite his past allegiances, Babel says he would have no problem in accepting a move to Galatasaray, although he is yet to decide his future.

    "They have the best offer at the moment. I don't have to make a secret of that," he told Algemeen Dagblad when asked about the rumours linking him with the Turkish champions.

    "But there are also discussions with other clubs.

    "It wouldn't be the first time in football or my own career for things to go differently than expected, so I will just have to wait and see."

    Babel scored five goals in 16 league appearances for Fulham after joining in January on a short-term deal.

    The former Liverpool winger also spent two seasons with Turkish side Kasimpasa earlier in his career.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.