Coronavirus: ICC approves ban on polishing ball with saliva

By Sports Desk June 09, 2020

World cricket chiefs have approved a ban on using saliva to polish the ball and backed the introduction of coronavirus substitutes.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) gave its approval amid a raft of interim changes to regulations in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic hitting sport.

Rules on kit sponsorship have also been relaxed for 12 months, allowing teams to bring in extra revenue through placing a logo on the chest of their Test shirt and sweater.

There has been no international cricket since March due to the health crisis and the global governing body is keen to mitigate risks posed by the virus, protecting the safety of players and match officials.

Bowlers traditionally apply saliva to the ball to make it swing, but they will have to rely on sweat when the sport returns, with the use of any artificial substance already outlawed.

The saliva ban was passed despite a number of players, including former Australia captain Steve Smith, suggesting it would give batsmen an advantage.

Repeatedly breaching the new rule could result in teams receiving a five-run penalty.

An ICC statement read: "Players will not be permitted to use saliva to shine the ball. If a player does apply saliva to the ball, the umpires will manage the situation with some leniency during an initial period of adjustment for the players, but subsequent instances will result in the team receiving a warning.

"A team can be issued up to two warnings per innings but repeated use of saliva on the ball will result in a five-run penalty to the batting side.

"Whenever saliva is applied to the ball, the umpires will be instructed to clean the ball before play recommences."

Among the other changes will be the introduction of coronavirus replacements for Tests, but not Twenty20 internationals or ODIs.

If a player displays symptoms of COVID-19 during a Test series, teams will be allowed to replace them with "the nearest like-for-like replacement".

The ICC has also removed the requirement for a neutral umpire in all formats, due to restrictions on international travel.

With this perhaps leading to the use of officials with less international experience, an additional unsuccessful DRS review will be granted.

"This will increase the number of unsuccessful appeals per innings for each team to three for Tests and two for the white-ball formats," said the ICC.

"The ICC cricket operations team will support match referees when processing code of conduct breaches, and a neutral elite panel match referee will conduct any hearing remotely via video link."

Related items

  • US Open prize money cut, winners to receive $850,000 less US Open prize money cut, winners to receive $850,000 less

    This year's US Open winners will receive $850,000 less than the 2019 champions, but the United States Tennis Association (USTA) upped the first-round prize money.

    The major will take place behind closed doors in New York amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and is scheduled to begin on August 31.

    Men's and women's singles winners in 2020 will receive $3million, down from the $3.85m that was paid out last year, with the total player compensation package dropping from a record $57.2m for the previous edition to $53.4m.

    While runners-up, semi- and quarter-finalists will also see their payouts reduced, a first-round appearance will earn $61,000 in 2020 – an increase from $58,000 in 2019.

    The USTA will also provide $6.6m in grants and subsidies to players due to the absence of a qualifying tournament and a reduced doubles draw.

    "We're proud to be able to offer a player compensation package that maintains nearly 95 per cent of the prize pool from 2019," said USTA CEO and executive director Mike Dowse.

    "The prize money distribution for the 2020 US Open is the result of close collaboration between the USTA, WTA and ATP, and represents a commitment to supporting players and their financial well-being during an unprecedented time."

    Men's reigning champion Rafael Nadal and women's world number one Ash Barty have opted out of the US Open due to concerns about COVID-19.

  • Brilliant Babar and wasteful Buttler give Pakistan the edge at Old Trafford Brilliant Babar and wasteful Buttler give Pakistan the edge at Old Trafford

    Babar Azam made a classy unbeaten half-century and Shan Masood was given two lives by Jos Buttler as Pakistan had the better of a weather-hit opening day in the Test series with England. 

    The tourists were 43-2 at one stage after Abid Ali and Azhar Ali, who had opted to bat after winning the toss, were dismissed by Jofra Archer and Chris Woakes respectively at Old Trafford. 

    However, Babar then took centre stage with a majestic 69 not out, while Masood was still there on 46 as Pakistan reached 139-2 when play was abandoned due to bad light. 

    Buttler dropped Masood on 45 and the opener was still on the same score when the England wicketkeeper-batsman missed a chance to stump him during a day when just 49 overs were bowled. 

    England, unchanged following their series-clinching win over West Indies at the same venue, were below par, Babar in particular making them pay in what is Pakistan's first Test since February. 

    Masood and Abid came through probing new-ball spells from James Anderson and the in-form Stuart Broad, but the excellent Archer struck with the first ball of his second over. 

    Abid was the man to depart, paceman Archer rocking back his off stump with a delivery that nipped in to end an opening stand of 36. Azhar soon followed lbw to Woakes, the visiting captain also wasting a review. 

    Babar and Masood steadied the ship in contrasting fashion, the opener continuing to dig in as Pakistan's white-ball skipper played with greater fluency after lunch. 

    The elegant Babar showed great timing with glorious drives, racing to his 50 off 70 balls, though Masood had a stroke of luck when he nicked Dom Bess behind but Buttler failed to hold on. 

    An early tea was taken due to rain with Pakistan on 121-2 and there was further frustration for England in a short resumption, Buttler unable to stump an advancing Masood off Bess, with Joe Root forced to bowl himself due to the poor overhead conditions. 

  • Tre White 'still undecided' on 2020 status ahead of Thursday deadline Tre White 'still undecided' on 2020 status ahead of Thursday deadline

    Buffalo Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White is waiting until the last possible moment to make a call on his status for the 2020 NFL season.

    Players have until Thursday to opt out of the coming campaign amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    But 2019 Pro Bowler White is still to make a final decision as he first discusses his options with his family.

    Speaking to reporters from the Bills' facility on Wednesday, the 25-year-old revealed the restrictive impact on his children was at the forefront of his thinking.

    "I've got until tomorrow, but I just wanted to come in and see how the season was going to go as far as moving around in locker rooms and the day-to-day operations," he said.

    "I'm just talking it over with my old lady and seeing what will be the best decision for my kids, too.

    "That plays a part in it, them being up here and not being able to come to the games, them moving around and my kids being unable to go to school, and being away from my family for such a long time without being able to do anything.

    "We're taking it down to the last day and we'll decide from there. I'm still undecided, honestly."

    White added: "It's just the aspect of guys still testing positive or having false-positive tests and coming back and testing negative. It's just those things that psychologically play a part in my thinking each and every day.

    "Do I want to come in here and get my 11-month-old baby sick just trying to love him and pick him up? Do I want to risk that?

    "At the end of the day, no matter what, my family's going to come first - no matter what's going on, no matter how big the season is. I'm always putting my kids first.

    "That's still weighing on me. Those are the things that I think about each and every day, just trying to see if I'm willing to go the distance, go four or five months doing the same thing, having my kids stuck in the house.

    "I don't know if I'm willing to do that. I just don't know. I'm going to pray about it and see how it is. I don't know, man."

    Miami Dolphins wide receiver Albert Wilson opted out on Wednesday, similarly referring to his family as he announced his decision on Twitter.

    "Because of this crazy time, I choose to put my family in the best situation I see fit," he wrote.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.