Khawaja, Shaun Marsh miss out on Cricket Australia contracts

By Sports Desk April 29, 2020

Usman Khawaja and Shaun Marsh were among the players to miss out on national contracts from Cricket Australia (CA) for 2020-21.

Khawaja, 33, was dropped from the Test team during last year's Ashes, while his last ODI was also in 2019.

Marsh, 36, has been out of international action since mid-2019 and was also left off a 20-player list named on Thursday.

"As Mitch Marsh and Matthew Wade have proven there are always plenty of opportunities for those who have missed out to be reselected by performing consistently at domestic level; and importantly to make the most of any opportunity that comes their way at international level," Australia national selector Trevor Hohns said in a statement.

"As is always the case there are unlucky omissions but, however, because you are not on the list does not mean you cannot be selected to represent Australia."

Marnus Labuschagne, Joe Burns, Matthew Wade, Mitchell Marsh, Kane Richardson and Ashton Agar were called up to the nationally contracted list.

It continues Labuschagne's incredible rise, with the right-hander averaging 63.43 in 14 Tests and 50.83 in seven ODIs.

"We feel all deserve their inclusion recognising the performances of those players in the past 12 months and, as importantly, what they can offer in the next 12 months," Hohns said.

"Marnus' rise has been meteoric and well documented, Joe has been a good Test match player, Ashton Agar’s form in T20 internationals has been exceptional, while Kane Richardson has been outstanding in the 20-over and one-day games.

"Matthew Wade's summer showed he is not only a tough but a good Test player for us. His form extended into white-ball cricket late in the summer, earning him well-deserved call-ups to the one-day and T20 Australian squads.

"After missing the list last year Mitch Marsh's recent form showed he has a lot of international cricket ahead of him as a batting all-rounder. Mitch proved this with his man-of-the-match performance against New Zealand at the SCG in the last game Australia played and a five-wicket haul in the last Test match he played on the Ashes tour."

Cricket Australia contracted player list: Ashton Agar, Joe Burns, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Tim Paine, James Pattinson, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa.

Related items

  • England confirm South Africa white-ball tour England confirm South Africa white-ball tour

    England will head to South Africa next month for three ODIs and as many Twenty20 matches behind closed doors at bio-secure venues in Cape Town and Paarl.

    The South African government has given the green light for the tour to go ahead and England will fly out on November 16.

    Eoin Morgan's side will be based in Cape Town prior to a T20 series that starts at Newlands on November 29 and finishes at the same venue after a match at Boland Park, Paarl.

    The Proteas and the world champions will play the first and final match of the ODI series, which gets under way on December 4, at Newlands, with Boland Park again hosting in between.

    England will also play 50-over and T20 intra-squad practice matches at Newlands and Boland Park on November 21 and 23 respectively.

    It will be South Africa's first international action since the coronavirus pandemic brought sport to a halt in March.

    Kugandrie Govender, acting chief executive of Cricket South Africa (CSA), said: "This is a wonderful boost for cricket and, although all the matches will have to be played behind closed doors, I am sure that our Proteas fans will rally behind South Africa's favourite team as they always do, but just on alternative digital and social media platforms.

    "The fact that England are the current World Cup champions will add tremendously to the two series and will give our own players every motivation to perform at their very best to challenge the reigning champions."

    The news comes amid off-field controversy, with Nathi Mthethwa, South Africa's minister of sport, having claimed CSA failed to comply with an investigation into the organisation's governance.

    Meanwhile, Victor Mpitsang has been appointed as CSA's national convenor of selectors and starts the role on November 2.

  • Warner reaches IPL milestone but Sunrisers beaten by Knight Riders Warner reaches IPL milestone but Sunrisers beaten by Knight Riders

    David Warner became the fastest to 5,000 Indian Premier League runs but Sunrisers Hyderabad lost again, this time to Kolkata Knight Riders in a Super Over. 

    Batting in the unusual position of four in the order, Warner made an unbeaten 47 off 33 balls as Sunrisers managed to get 17 runs off the final over to level the scores. 

    However, the left-hander was bowled at the start of the Super Over by the excellent Lockie Ferguson, who then cleaned up Abdul Samad two balls later. 

    Left needing just three to win off leg-spinner Rashid Khan, Kolkata captain Eoin Morgan combined with the man he recently replaced in the job, Dinesh Karthik, to complete the job, the pair having earlier made 34 and 29 not out respectively. 

    Shubman Gill top-scored with 36 as five of the Knight Riders' top six reached double figures, Andre Russell the only exception as they finished on 163-5. 

    The West Indies all-rounder then suffered an apparent hamstring injury in the field, though he returned to bowl the final over with Hyderabad needing 18. 

    They appeared on course to reach their target when the equation was reduced down to two from the final ball, but Warner had to settle for a tie as they scampered through for a leg bye. 

    WARNER JOINS ILLUSTRIOUS CLUB

    Warner is the fourth batsman to reach 5,000 runs in the Twenty20 tournament, though the first overseas player to achieve the feat. 

    The Australian joins Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Suresh Raina in the illustrious club. Worryingly, though, his Sunrisers team are on the slide as the season reaches a critical stage, this their fourth loss in five games. They are now four points behind fourth-placed Kolkata in the table.

    LOCKIE THE KEY TO VICTORY

    Playing his first game in this year's IPL, Lockie Ferguson showed the value of pace as he picked up five wickets in the match - including two in a Super Over for Hyderabad that did not last long.

    He had also claimed 3-15 in the Sunrisers' innings, dismissing fellow New Zealander Kane Williamson, who replaced Warner as opener and, despite an obvious injury, made 29.

  • England considering white-ball tour to Pakistan in 2021 England considering white-ball tour to Pakistan in 2021

    The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is considering an invitation to tour Pakistan in the early stages of 2021.

    England have not travelled to Pakistan since 2005 but have been offered the chance to play white-ball games - reportedly three Twenty20 fixtures - in January.

    The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) agreed to play fixtures on English soil earlier this year amid the coronavirus pandemic, the two nations facing each other in a three-Test series followed by a trio of T20 contests while staying in bio-secure bubbles.

    England's schedule for the coming months is still unclear due to the impact of the COVID-19 crisis, with tours to Sri Lanka and India yet to be confirmed.

    Security concerns following the 2009 terrorist attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore put a stop to teams visiting Pakistan, though international cricket has slowly begun to return to the country.

    "We welcome the fact that international cricket is returning to Pakistan and are committed to doing what we can to help this develop further," a statement from the ECB read.

    "As with any proposed tour that takes place at this time, the safety and welfare of our players and staff is paramount.

    "As such, there are a number of factors that need to be taken into consideration, including the proposed protocols in relation to COVID-19 bio-secure bubbles, the proposed levels of security around the team, as well as the feasibility of undertaking this tour against the backdrop of an already busy schedule of international cricket for the England men's team.

    "We will be liaising with the PCB, as well as other partners, over the coming weeks to work through these considerations, before a final decision will be taken in due course."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.