Bangladesh captain Shakib banned after ICC anti-corruption breaches

By Sports Desk October 29, 2019

Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan has been handed a two-year suspension from all forms of cricket after accepting three charges relating to breaches of the ICC anti-corruption code.

Shakib's ban, one year of which is suspended, comes after he contravened article 2.4.4 of the code on multiple occasions, the International Cricket Council said.

That part of the code compels cricketers to disclose full details of "any approaches or invitations received to engage in corrupt conduct" to the governing body's anti-corruption unit (ACU).

"I am obviously extremely sad to have been banned from the game I love, but I completely accept my sanction for not reporting the approaches," world number one all-rounder Shakib said in a statement released by the ICC.

"The ICC ACU is reliant on players to play a central part in the fight against corruption and I didn't do my duty in this instance.

"Like the majority of players and fans around the world, I want cricket to be a corruption-free sport and I am looking forward to working with the ICC ACU team to support their education programme and ensure young players don't make the same mistake I did."

The first charge relates to the Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe Tri-Series in January 2018 and/or that year's IPL; the second to another approach in respect of the same Tri-Series; and the third to an IPL match between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Kings XI Punjab on 26 April 2018.

In its summary of the background to the case, the ICC detailed the various instances where there was contact, via WhatsApp, between Shakib and a man "suspected of involvement in corruption in cricket".

Shakib has appeared in all three formats for his country, with 56 Tests under his belt and 206 ODI outings.

The 32-year-old's ban is effective immediately.

Related items

  • Stokes to miss rest of Pakistan Test series for family reasons Stokes to miss rest of Pakistan Test series for family reasons

    Ben Stokes will play no further part in England's Test series against Pakistan for family reasons. 

    Stokes, who captained the team in Joe Root's absence for the opener against West Indies in July, has featured in all four Tests played on home soil so far this year.

    However, the 29-year-old – who has been struggling with an injury which restricted him to just four overs of bowling in the victory over Pakistan in Manchester – will not be available for the next two matches, which take place at the Rose Bowl. 

    The all-rounder will instead be heading to New Zealand to spend time with his family, the England and Wales Cricket Board announced in a statement on a Sunday.

    In December, Stokes' father, Ged, fell ill while attending England's tour of South Africa. 

    While his father recovered in hospital after undergoing three operations, Stokes continued to play on for England, helping clinch a 3-1 series triumph over the Proteas. 

    However, England - who went 1-0 up against Pakistan on Saturday - will now be without their vice-captain in Southampton. 

    Jos Buttler and Chris Woakes were the heroes as the hosts chased down a target of 277 to secure a three-wicket triumph at Old Trafford.

  • Cornwall looking for another big CPL season Cornwall looking for another big CPL season

    With the Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) set to begin in a matter of weeks, players like Rahkeem Cornwall have been looking at how to give themselves an advantage.

    Cornwall is no different, with the big off-spinner hoping for a season like the one he had in 2019.

    Known more as a bowling allrounder, last season Cornwall was immense with the bat for the St Lucia Zouks, scoring 254 runs in 10 matches, with a highest of 75.

    “Obviously, it’s going to be different from the previous CPL where you have the crowd and so on, but at the end of the day cricket still remains the same. I would like to continue where I left off last year because I think I had a pretty good year in the CPL last year where I scored the most runs for the St. Lucia Zouks, and there is no doubt that I want to repeat that this year,” said Cornwall in an interview with the Antigua Observer.

    According to Cornwall, players doing well is usually the result of hard work and he has no issue with putting in the effort that it takes to repeat that performance.

    “I just have to put in the work and I think we have a couple of days or just over a week to get ready before the tournament, so I am sure I will be fine by then, and I will just keep putting the numbers on the board,” he said.

    “As a professional, you have to know what you need to do to get yourself ready for a match. I think you just have to keep practising, and once all of the protocols [quarantine and testing] are over and you are out of isolation, then your mind would automatically switch back to cricket and you just have to know what you need to do in terms of your role for the team, and by then, hitting the 18th [August], you should be ready,” he said.'

    Cornwall will again turn out for the St Lucia Zouks who will play their opening game against the Jamaica Tallawahs on August 19 at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy.

  • Final England Test was a learning experience – Cornwall Final England Test was a learning experience – Cornwall

    Many have questioned the inclusion of Rahkeem Cornwall in the final Test of the #raisethebat Series in Manchester, England after the West Indies were thoroughly beaten by a strong England showing with bat and ball.

    Cornwall, who went wicketless throughout the game, still feels his inclusion had value.

    According to the offspinner, on another occasion, going wicketless does not mean he bowled badly.

    “I don’t feel too bad about my performance and maybe on a different day wickets would have come my way, but I didn’t get any wickets. I think I bowled pretty well. Opportunities came about but it was just not my day to get wickets,” said Cornwall.

    Cornwall has not been deterred by his performance in the least and believes there is only better for him to get.

    “Going forward I just think that I have to work on my game and make sure I can perform under every condition that I might be going to but I wouldn’t say it was a bad tour, I just have to move on and learn from it,” he said.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.