Overlooked Lyon not giving up on T20 World Cup hopes

By Sports Desk October 16, 2019

Nathan Lyon is refusing to give up hope on featuring for Australia at their home ICC Men's T20 World Cup despite missing out on selection against Sri Lanka and Pakistan.

The spinner has only made two T20I appearances for his country – the last of those coming a year ago – and is not included for his country's upcoming series in 20-over cricket.

But Lyon, Australia's third-highest wicket-taker in Tests, still wants to play in all three formats and will continue to make himself available.

"Definitely I want to put my hand up for all games of cricket, especially for Australia," he said.

"Whatever game I play cricket for, I just need to make sure I'm doing my job and if I keep putting my hand up for selection, who knows where that may lead to?"

Lyon, who was facing a similar battle prior to the 50-over World Cup before entering as Australia's front-line spinner, insists there is no issue with chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns.

"He just called me and told me I wasn't in," he added.

"But I had a really good chat to Cracker [Hohns] – I get along really well with him – so if I have any issues with Cracker, I'll just pick up the phone.

"There's no doubt. I have the absolute utmost respect for him so there's no dramas there."

Related items

  • Sampson charged over alleged racist comment Sampson charged over alleged racist comment

    Former England Women's manager Mark Sampson has been charged by the Football Association (FA) for allegedly using racist language.

    Sampson is now caretaker boss at League Two side Stevenage and is alleged to have breached FA Rule E3, relating to a comment that was "improper and/or abusive and/or insulting".

    It is claimed to be an "aggravated breach", meaning it referenced "ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality".

    Stevenage undertook an internal investigation in September after "allegations of racially discriminatory language" were reported in the media.

    The club said the claims, purportedly made by a Stevenage coach dismissed by Sampson, had "no foundation".

    However, following the FA's own investigation, Sampson now has until December 6 to respond to the charge.

    The Welshman, who led England to the semi-finals of the 2015 Women's World Cup, was sacked as the Lionesses boss in September 2017.

    The FA said it had made the decision after evidence emerged of "inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour" during his time with Bristol Academy.

    It insisted Sampson's dismissal was not linked to allegations made by former England forward Eniola Aluko that there had been alleged discriminatory behaviour on the manager's part.

  • Australia had discussions with Eddie Jones – RA boss Castle Australia had discussions with Eddie Jones – RA boss Castle

    Rugby Australia (RA) chief executive Raelene Castle said discussions were held with England head coach Eddie Jones before the Wallabies appointed Dave Rennie.

    RA confirmed the appointment of New Zealander and Glasgow Warriors boss Rennie as Michael Cheika's replacement on Wednesday.

    Cheika vacated his position following Australia's quarter-final defeat to England at the Rugby World Cup in Japan.

    A return to Australia was touted for Jones, who was sacked by the Wallabies in 2005, but Castle revealed it was too difficult to prise the 59-year-old from England.

    "We had discussions with Eddie," she told a news conference for Rennie's appointment midweek.

    "But he was contracted to England, and tightly contracted, which ruled him out."

    Rennie – a two-time Super Rugby-winning coach with the Chiefs – is the second New Zealander to coach the Wallabies, following in the footsteps of Robbie Deans.

    Deans took over in 2007 and he guided Australia to third place at the 2011 World Cup before being axed in 2013.

    Having been encouraged to apply for the All Blacks vacancy following Steve Hansen's exit, Rennie told Rugby.com.au: "I'm a proud Kiwi but the big thing is I've been talking to Australia for a lot of months and the All Blacks interest came in late in the piece and by that stage, we'd done a lot of homework, we were really excited about the opportunity to go to Australia and that ended up being an easy decision."

    Rennie, who will not arrive until July, added: "I think Australians want their national team coached by an Australian and I'm OK with that.

    "Hopefully, they're feeling that way because they care about Aussie rugby and all I can say is everywhere I've gone I've immersed myself in the community and the culture.

    "I guess we'll be judged by what we do as opposed to what I say now but I can assure you that I care about he future of Australian rugby, going to work really hard to get a strong connection with the Super Rugby coaches and a national age grade coaches to ensure we've got good young talent through and good pathways for them."

  • Thomas and Hamilton shine as Hurricanes stifle Combined Colleges and Campuses Thomas and Hamilton shine as Hurricanes stifle Combined Colleges and Campuses

    Half-centuries from Devon Thomas and Jahmar Hamilton on Tuesday powered the Leeward Island Hurricanes to a six-wicket win over the Combined Colleges and Campuses at Conaree in the Colonial Insurance Super 50 competition.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.