Shastri reappointed as India head coach

By Sports Desk August 16, 2019

Ravi Shastri will continue as India head coach for another two years, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed on Friday.

Shastri's role had been one of several positions in which the BCCI invited applicants last month, putting his future in doubt.

The 57-year-old's contract as coach had initially expired after the Cricket World Cup, where India lost in the semi-finals to New Zealand.

But an extension had seen Shastri take charge of the ongoing series against West Indies.

And Shastri will now keep his role after the BCCI's cricket advisory committee named him as their preferred candidate.

Mike Hesson was selected as the second choice, with Tom Moody third.

But Shastri is to continue in a job he has held since July 2017, having previously worked as team director.

He oversaw India's first ever away Test series win against Australia at the turn of the year.

Related items

  • England all-rounder Moeen taking break from Test cricket England all-rounder Moeen taking break from Test cricket

    Moeen Ali has requested a break from Test cricket after being dropped from the England team and losing his all-format central contract.

    The all-rounder had been contracted by England for all formats since 2014-15 but it was confirmed on Friday he had only received a white-ball deal for 2019-20.

    Th news came after Moeen was left out of the squad for the second Ashes Test in August, having taken 3-172 and scored four with the bat across both innings of a humbling opening defeat to Australia.

    It was revealed at the time Moeen would look to spend some time "recharging" before making his county return for Worcestershire.

    But having starred in guiding reigning T20 Blast champions Worcestershire to a second successive Finals Day, he plans to prolong his Test absence.

    "It's just to get away from it a little bit. I feel like I want to enjoy my batting and this will give me a bit of a break," Moeen told ESPNcricinfo.

    "I want to spend some time with the family. I've been playing for England for five years and it's been quite tough.

    "The intensity is obviously higher in Test cricket so this is just to give me a break and then we will see what happens after that.

    "I'm not ruling out playing Test cricket in the future. I've had long chats and thought about it quite a lot. I just want to give myself a bit of time to refresh my batteries and see where it goes after that."

    England captain Joe Root stated in August that the first Ashes Test was "certainly not the last we'll see of [Moeen]".

    Moeen has taken 181 wickets across 60 Tests, but Ashley Giles, the managing director of England men's cricket, has no issue with his period of indefinite leave.

    "For all the guys, not just Moeen, it's been a really challenging summer," Giles said.

    "A World Cup and an Ashes back-to-back has had a massive effect on many of these guys psychologically, as much as physically.

    "Some of those guys are still carrying [these issues] - one of them being Moeen.

    "His experience in the first Test wasn't a great one, but that's cricket. He's has been a great servant for his team. That's why I encouraged him to leave that option open to come back.

    "He might just need to go away and freshen up. But he's been a really good servant for this team and he's still relatively young."

  • Masakadza signs off in style with match-winning innings for Zimbabwe Masakadza signs off in style with match-winning innings for Zimbabwe

    Hamilton Masakadza bowed out of international cricket in style on Friday, striking 71 from 42 balls to help Zimbabwe to a Twenty20 victory over Afghanistan in Chattogram.

    Zimbabwe's hopes of qualifying for the final of a tri-series also involving Bangladesh had already been wiped out by three successive defeats, but they at least ended the tournament on a high as skipper Masakadza produced a wonderful final innings for his country.

    Having walked out to a guard of honour after Afghanistan posted 155-8, the 36-year-old thumped five sixes and four fours in his entertaining knock, underpinning a seven-wicket win completed with three balls unused.

    Masakadza ended his international career, which began in 2001, having played in 38 Tests, 209 ODIs and 66 T20s, scoring 9,543 runs for his country in all formats. His tally of 1,662 in T20s is almost double that of any other Zimbabwean.

    On his 32nd birthday, Regis Chakabva played second fiddle to his captain in a second-wicket stand of 70 before accelerating to 39 from 32 deliveries, while Sean Williams (21 not out) finished the chase off having been dropped by Mujeeb Ur Rahman immediately after Chakabva fell at the start of the 18th over with just 17 runs needed.

    Afghanistan, who will face Bangladesh in the final, started brightly after winning the toss, openers Rahmanullah Gurbaz and Hazratullah Zazai contributing 61 and 31 respectively.

    However, they crucially lost momentum in the second half of their innings as Chris Mpofu finished with 4-30.

  • Giles delighted with Morgan's decision to stay on as England captain Giles delighted with Morgan's decision to stay on as England captain

    Ashely Giles is thrilled Eoin Morgan elected to stay on as ODI captain following England's triumphant Cricket World Cup campaign.

    Morgan led England to their maiden success in a 50-over World Cup in July, with the final settled in dramatic fashion at Lord's – the tournament hosts edging out New Zealand in a super over.

    Following the tournament, the 33-year-old suggested he was undecided as to whether he should stay on as captain of the limited-overs side.

    However, the ECB confirmed on Friday that Morgan would remain in charge and Giles is delighted with the batsman's decision with England now having the T20 World Cup in their sights.

    "Eoin took some time to decide whether, all things considered, it was right to continue," Giles told Sky Sports.

    "It didn't take him too long, thankfully. I'm delighted, he's been a great leader for us and with us losing [coach] Trevor Bayliss as well it's great for the team and the environment that he's staying on.

    "Having one of those two guys still there gives us consistency and now we can look to perhaps go with the team we've got and to hold two white-ball trophies within a year would be a great achievement."

    Bayliss called time on his tenure as England coach across all formats at the end of the Ashes series, but Giles is confident a replacement will be finalised within the coming weeks.

    "I see one coach leading the whole thing. I've been part of a set-up where there are two coaches and role-playing that out, for me, it doesn't end particularly well," Giles told BBC Sport.

    "If we have one head coach and some very good assistants, we are going to have to look after those guys well. The head coach would have some time off, so it's an opportunity for those assistants to lead in different forms.

    "I hope we have a shortlist in a week to 10 days and we will go through interviews. We won't rush it but it would be nice to have someone in place before we leave for New Zealand."

    Giles also added Alex Hales – who was dropped ahead of the World Cup due to an "off-field incident" – should not give up hope of returning to the fold despite not being given a central contract.

    "The door isn't closed. He's a very fine short-format player," Giles said. "He needs to keep working hard and getting the runs - but if he does that, who knows?"

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.