In-demand Mahmood excited by future after Pakistan exit

By Sports Desk August 15, 2019

Azhar Mahmood is disappointed he was not invited to meet the committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) before his tenure as bowling coach was ended, but says he is in demand as he eyes a new challenge.

The PCB last week announced a revamp of the coaching staff, with head coach Mickey Arthur, bowling coach Mahmood, batting coach Grant Flower and trainer Grant Luden leaving at the end of their contracts.

Arthur and captain Sarfraz Ahmed met the committee before the decision was made over whether the coaching staff would be offered new deals, yet former Pakistan all-rounder Mahmood was not given the opportunity to state his case to stay on.

The former Pakistan all-rounder felt he should have been allowed to represent himself, but left the role with his head held high two years after playing a big part in the ICC Champions Trophy triumph in England.

Mahmood told Omnisport: "We had some wonderful times. There were a lot of ups and downs in that two-and-a-half-year period, but I worked really hard with this young group of bowlers.

"I would have liked to have been able to represent myself in front of the committee before the decision over contracts was made, but I can move on with dignity and pride over what I achieved.

"I believe I've done a really good job with these guys and they have the potential to become world-class bowlers, so I wish them all the luck.

"Initially I got a two-year contract, which they asked me to extend until after the World Cup. Now it's time to move on and grow further as a coach.

"My aim was to be there and give my best to the country and to the players, I certainly feel I did that.

"Let's see where I end up next. Now people know I'm available, I have a lot of interest coming my way so I need to work out which is the best for my future.

"Even when I was doing the job with Pakistan I got a job offer from Surrey and now people know I am available, there has been more interest."

Related items

  • West Indies women relieved after ‘tricky’ Thailand opener West Indies women relieved after ‘tricky’ Thailand opener

    Stafanie Taylor says West Indies are breathing a collective sigh of relief after surviving a scare against Thailand in their ICC Women’s T20 World Cup opener in Perth.

    Taylor’s side beat the tournament debutants by seven wickets in the first game to be held at the WACA Ground, but the win was not as flattering as the scorecard may suggest.

    West Indies looked to be on their way to a comfortable victory when restricting their opponents to 78 for nine from the full 20 overs.

    But Thailand’s impressive fielding display saw three quick wickets fall before the seventh over – including that of the dangerous Deandra Dottin – to set the nerves racing in the dugout.

    “It wasn’t great seeing our wickets fall so early, but I’m relieved I can smile now,” said captain Taylor after scoring 26 not out and taking 3-13 to lead the way for the West Indies women.

    “It’s tricky to play a team like Thailand who we have never played before. You have to spend a little bit of time at the crease getting used to their bowlers and we didn’t do that properly at the start of our innings.

    “They gave us some nervous moments. Their bowling attack can definitely cause some trouble at this year’s World Cup.

    “They have some really good bowlers and I think in a few years’ time, they will be giving teams challenges.”

    They may have underperformed at the crease but debutants Thailand produced a moment for the tournament highlight reel from the field with Naruemol Chaiwai producing a direct hit to run out Lee-Ann Kirby and claim her country’s first Women’s T20 World Cup wicket.

    Teenager Nannapat Khoncharoenkai top-scored with the bat with 33 from 48 balls but opener Nattaya Boochatam, who was caught early for two, knows her side can’t be relying on the middle-order in future outings.

    “We know we could have had a chance if we’d got more runs on the board,” said Boochatam.

    “We scored too few today, but we think our performance will make people take us more seriously.

    “It has given us motivation to do better and show we can compete on the global stage. It’s been a long time waiting and we are so excited to be out on the ground at a World Cup.”

  • Hasaranga steers Sri Lanka to dramatic win after Hope century Hasaranga steers Sri Lanka to dramatic win after Hope century

    Wanindu Hasaranga inspired Sri Lanka to a dramatic one-wicket win in the first ODI against West Indies with the highest successful chase at Colombo.

    The Windies had set the hosts 290 to win the opening match of the three-game series, Shai Hope leading the way with 115 as he scored his ninth ODI century.

    It was a target that looked like it could well be beyond Sri Lanka after their innings lost impetus following a 111-run first-wicket partnership between Avishka Fernando (50) and captain Dimuth Karunaratne (52).

    Thisara Perera played an in important role with a 22-ball 32, but when he was caught off the bowling of Alzarri Joseph the match was very much in the balance with Sri Lanka on 253-7.

    However, Hasaranga (42 off 39) produced a performance that belied his ODI average of 14.37 to get Sri Lanka over the finish line.

    Hasaranga's ability to find the rope – he struck a quartet of fours and one maximum – and inaccurate death bowling from the Windies left the scores level going into the final over.

    A direct-hit run out from Sunil Ambris to remove Lakshan Sandakan frayed the nerves a little, but the one run Sri Lanka needed came from a Keemo Paul no-ball off the next delivery.

  • Ervine makes century but Hasan keeps Zimbabwe in check Ervine makes century but Hasan keeps Zimbabwe in check

    Craig Ervine scored his first century in five-day cricket as a captain but four wickets from Nayeem Hasan kept Zimbabwe in check on day one of the only Test against Bangladesh.

    Ervine, standing in as skipper for Sean Williams, played a captain's innings at Shere Bangla National Stadium with a 227-ball 107 before falling to Hasan late on day one in the 100th international meeting between the teams.

    Prince Masvaure (64), who also fell to Hasan, rode his luck at times but made a valuable knock in a century stand with Ervine as Zimbabwe closed on 228-6.

    Hasan was chief protagonist with the ball, bowling 40 per cent of his team's overs and also accounting for Brendan Taylor (10) and Sikandar Raza (18) in a superb showing.

    Ervine was a steady hand for Zimbabwe on what appeared a difficult pitch for batting and the tourists were only one down for 80 runs at lunch with Kevin Kasuza (2) lasting just eight overs.

    Bangladesh were frustrated by Ervine and Masvaure, who added 111 runs for the second wicket, before the latter drove one straight back to Hasan for a sharp catch down to his left.

    Taylor played on with a poor shot before lunch and Raza and Timycen Maruma (7) also departed as Bangladesh made more inroads.

    Ervine whipped one away off the pads for two to celebrate his century but Bangladesh had their man in the penultimate over of the day when Hasan got one to straighten up, hitting the skipper's back leg before rattling the stumps.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.