Pakistan call up Yasir with Shadab laid low by virus

By Sports Desk April 21, 2019

Pakistan have brought Yasir Shah into their squad for the upcoming Twenty20 and ODI matches against England after Shadab Khan was ruled out with a virus.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) confirmed on Sunday that leg-spinner Shadab would require rest for at least four weeks, with the one-off T20 versus England to take place in Cardiff on May 5 before five ODIs.

It remains to be seen if Shadab will recover in time for the start of the Cricket World Cup, with Pakistan set to get their campaign under way against West Indies on May 31.

Yasir, a like-for-like replacement for Shadab, was not included in Pakistan's 15-man squad announced earlier this week but the PCB, like all participating countries, has until May 23 to make any necessary changes to that World Cup selection.

Asif Ali and Mohammad Amir, not part of the original party, have been added as additional players.

Related items

  • Pope commits to Burnley after injury woes Pope commits to Burnley after injury woes

    England goalkeeper Nick Pope has signed a long-term contract extension at Burnley, the Premier League club have confirmed.

    The 27-year-old has committed to life at Turf Moor until June 2023, with an option of a further 12 months.

    Pope's performances last term earned him a place in Gareth Southgate's squad for the 2018 World Cup, although a dislocated shoulder sustained during a Europa League tie at Aberdeen last July left him sidelined for five months.

    He then found his route to the first team blocked by Tom Heaton and Joe Hart, with only a pair of FA Cup appearances to show for his efforts, but Pope is relishing the challenge of re-establishing himself under Sean Dyche in 2019-20.

    "I am in a good place. The shoulder feels good and I'm looking forward to coming back ready for next season," he told Burnley's official website.

    "With the contract being for a further four years that will carry me through the majority of my career.

    "When you look at a long deal like that, you take into context the club you're at and the people you will be around every day.

    "I love being where I am and working with the lads every day. It's an enjoyable place to be."

    Pope had 12 months to run on his previous deal and Dyche is pleased to have the player's future secured.

    "After a difficult, injury-affected year, through no fault of his own, Nick lost a season's work," he said.

    "But we are absolutely delighted that he has now agreed a new long-term deal, which mirrors the aim of the club.

    "We have always said we want to be strong in the market and that includes when it comes to other clubs trying to get our players. This is a clear sign of that.

    "Nick has shown himself to be a real professional and we are delighted to have him at the club until 2024 and look forward to continuing the good work he has already achieved."

  • 'Youngsters coming at my head' - Gayle wary of being target for bowlers at World Cup 'Youngsters coming at my head' - Gayle wary of being target for bowlers at World Cup

    Windies star batsman Chris Gayle is well aware that he will be the target of young upcoming fast bowlers when the ICC World Cup gets under way later this month but has cautioned that he will be ready.

    The 39-year-old batsman, who has long been a standard of attacking cricket, will take part in his swansong for the West Indies at a fifth tournament.  Despite being one of the game’s elder statesmen the self-styled Universe boss devastating attacking capability was on full display against England in March. 

    The veteran batsman was named man of the series after amassing 429 runs in four matches at an average of 106.  Many pundits and fans have tipped Gayle to carry that good form into the tournament but not if the bowlers have a say in the matter and he has slowed down just a bit.

    "Youngsters coming at my head - it's not as easy as it was like one time before," Gayle told cricket.com. "I was quicker then.

    "But they'll be wary. They know what the Universe Boss is capable of. I'm sure they will have it in the back of their mind, 'Hey, this is the most dangerous batsman they've ever seen in cricket,” he added.

    Two-time champions West Indies begin their campaign against 1992 winners Pakistan on May 31 at Trent Bridge.

     

  • England captain Morgan expected to be fit for World Cup opener England captain Morgan expected to be fit for World Cup opener

    Eoin Morgan is expected to be fit for England's Cricket World Cup opener against South Africa despite suffering a fractured finger.

    England's limited-overs skipper hurt his left index finger during catching practice at the Rose Bowl ahead of the warm-up fixture against Australia.

    After being sent for a precautionary x-ray, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) revealed the left-handed batsman has been diagnosed with a small flake fracture.

    While the injury means he will sit out Saturday's game, the 32-year-old should be available again for the start of the tournament on home soil.

    A short ECB statement confirmed Morgan is expected to make a "full recovery" in time for the clash with the Proteas at The Oval on Thursday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.