Pandya blitz deepens Challengers' IPL misery

By Sports Desk April 15, 2019

Mumbai Indians consigned Indian Premier League strugglers Royal Challengers Bangalore to a five-wicket defeat thanks to Hardik Pandya's late cameo at Wankhede Stadium.

The Challengers had picked up their first win of the 2019 season at the seventh attempt last time out but fell to another demoralising loss on Monday as the hosts overhauled their 171-7 with an over to spare.

It looked like being a tight finish as the Indians needed 22 off the last 12 balls, but Pandya (37 not out off 16) struck Pawan Negi for two fours and two sixes to get his side over the line.

Moeen Ali starred in a losing cause for RCB, making 50 off 32 in a partnership worth 95 with AB de Villiers (75 from 51) before returning 2-18 to give his team hope that was ultimately quashed by Pandya's blitz.

 

MOEEN FINDS FORM AT LAST ALONGSIDE DESTRUCTIVE DE VILLIERS

England all-rounder Moeen's previous top score in this IPL had been 32 but he looked in good touch, thumping five sixes in his 31-ball fifty.

Two of those came in one over from Jason Behrendorff, whose four overs cost 49 on the day he was included in Australia's World Cup squad.

Parthiv Patel had earlier taken the seamer for three fours and a maximum in the fifth, and De Villiers' fourth half-century of the tournament – featuring six fours and four sixes – boosted RCB's total.

 

MALINGA MAGIC PRECEDES OPENING ONSLAUGHT

The Challengers' progress was checked slightly as Lasith Malinga (4-31) picked up his four wickets in overs 18 and 20, before Quinton de Kock and Rohit Sharma went on the offensive for Mumbai.

The pair cleared the ropes four times between them in a seven-over stand worth 70, before Moeen dismissed them both in the space of four balls.

Rohit was cleaned up having made 28 off 19 and De Kock was trapped in front after a typically brisk 26-ball 40.

 

PANDYA PUNISHES NEGI

The game remained firmly in the balance heading into the penultimate over, where Pandya took control.

Negi's second ball disappeared over long-on and the next two were also smashed to the ropes before the fifth delivery was slog-swept over the leg-side for another maximum.

Mumbai's equation was reduced to two required off seven and the game was done, leaving RCB rooted to the foot of the table.

Related items

  • Oh-no Fernando! Sri Lanka opener taken off on a stretcher following injury Oh-no Fernando! Sri Lanka opener taken off on a stretcher following injury

    Sri Lanka might have been dealt an injury blow prior to the Cricket World Cup, with opener Avishka Fernando having suffered an apparent ankle injury.

    Fernando slipped while fielding during Sri Lanka's warm up match with South Africa on Friday, landing awkwardly on his side.

    The physios were called on and, after receiving treatment, Fernando attempted to walk off, but a stretcher was required to take him from the field.

    Sri Lanka take on New Zealand in their World Cup opener on June 1.

  • England captain Morgan sent for x-ray on finger injury England captain Morgan sent for x-ray on finger injury

    England were hit by an injury scare ahead of the Cricket World Cup with captain Eoin Morgan suffering a finger injury in training on Friday.

    The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) confirmed Morgan, who is set to lead England in the upcoming tournament on home soil, was sent for an x-ray after taking a blow to the hand.

    The 32-year-old batsman hurt the index finger on his left hand during fielding drills at the Rose Bowl ahead of Saturday's warm-up fixture against Australia.

    "Eoin Morgan has took a knock to his left index finger fielding this morning. He is going to hospital after practice for a precautionary x-ray," an ECB statement read.

    England start their World Cup campaign at The Oval against South Africa on Thursday.

  • Archer will be England's 'X-factor', says Kohli Archer will be England's 'X-factor', says Kohli

    India captain Virat Kohli backed Jofra Archer to be England's "X-factor" at the Cricket World Cup.

    Despite playing just three one-day internationals, Archer was included in England's 15-man squad for a tournament they are set to enter as favourites.

    The 24-year-old said Kohli was a wicket he wanted to take, while also eyeing West Indies star Chris Gayle.

    Asked about Archer's comments, Kohli said on Thursday: "Did he say that?

    "I had no idea. OK, so that's news to me, news to Morgs [England captain Eoin Morgan] as well."

    Kohli went on to sing the praises of Archer, who took three wickets at an average of 36 in his first three ODIs.

    "If Jofra's said that, it's a big compliment because he himself is a world-class bowler," he said.

    "The way he's come about in the IPL [Indian Premier League] over the past couple of years I've seen him, and playing all around the world, there's good reason why he's been fast-tracked into playing for England in a tournament like the World Cup.

    "I think he's probably going to be their X-factor because he holds a skill set which is very different from anyone else. He can generate a lot of pace which can be intimidating and you don't expect that because of his run-up.

    "The way he's built, he's a great athlete and I'm sure the England team is delighted to have him as well, but he's going to be pretty exciting to watch in the World Cup.

    "I personally will be watching his bowling as well because whatever I've seen of him he's been very, very impressive."

    India begin their tournament by facing South Africa on June 5, six days after England open the event against the same opponents.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.