Black Caps cling on for series win against India

By Sports Desk February 10, 2019

New Zealand held on for a four-run victory in Hamilton to wrap up a 2-1 Twenty20 series win against India.

The Black Caps had won the opener in Wellington before being pegged back by the tourists in Auckland.

But Colin Munro (72 off 40) put in an impressive shift as the hosts posted 212-4 and the target proved just beyond the reach of India, who won last month's ODI series between the sides.

Munro and Tim Seifert (43) combined for 80 runs for the first wicket as India found New Zealand difficult to break down, but both men were ultimately dismissed by Kuldeep Yadav.

Kuldeep was India's star performer with ball in hand, taking 2-26 from his four overs.

The India innings got off to a far from ideal start, with Shikhar Dhawan (5) caught off the bowling of Mitchell Santner (2-32 off three overs) just five balls in.

Santner was also responsible for breaking India's most fruitful partnership when he saw off the tourists' top scorer Vijay Shankar (43).

Rohit Sharma (38), Rishabh Pant (28) and Hardik Pandya (21) all helped India into a position from which they could challenge for the victory, but MS Dhoni could only manage two on his 300th T20 appearance and things did not go their way in the final over.

Needing 14 off the last four deliveries, Dinesh Karthik (33) refused a single, much to Krunal Pandya's (26) frustration, and he showed his own dissatisfaction after taking the single from the next.

Krunal's straight drive for the boundary then found the stumps at the bowler's end and the match was beyond India at that point.

Related items

  • Inzamam to step down as Pakistan selector Inzamam to step down as Pakistan selector

    Inzamam-ul-Haq will step down as Pakistan's chief selector when his contract expires at the end of the month, he has announced.

    The former batting great took on the role in 2016 after quitting as Afghanistan coach, overseeing success in the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy.

    However, Inzamam has decided to move on following Pakistan's unsuccessful Cricket World Cup campaign, which saw them fall just short of the semi-finals.

    "After more than three years as chair of the Pakistan men's selection committee, I have decided not to seek a renewal of my contract," he told a news conference.

    "With the ICC World Test Championship, due to get underway in September, the ICC T20 World Cup in 2020 and the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023, I believe it is the right time for the Pakistan Cricket Board to appoint a new chief selector who can bring new ideas and fresh thinking.

    "I spoke to PCB chairman Ehsan Mani and managing director Wasim Khan on Monday and conveyed my decision to them separately.

    "I also thanked them for backing and supporting the selection committee since taking over the reins of Pakistan cricket.

    "The Pakistan cricket team has come a long way since the departures of stalwarts like Misbah-ul-Haq and Younus Khan in May 2017 and is now destined for improved results as the youngsters have grown in experience and stature.

    "They are now ready to excel and perform consistently across the three formats."

    As well as backing Pakistan to enjoy success in his absence, Inzamam also acknowledged he may have made mistakes during his time in charge.

    "It has been a pleasure to see these players grow and make names for themselves in international cricket," he said.

    "I will follow their progress with interest because I firmly believe these players have all the ingredients to take the Pakistan cricket team to greater heights.

    "The team could have performed better during my time than the results reflect and I may have inadvertently overlooked some potentially deserving players, but I have always had the best interests of Pakistan cricket foremost in my heart.

    "I hope the passionate Pakistan cricket fans will understand and can see this in my decisions."

  • How Trevor Bayliss kept England focused for World Cup finals How Trevor Bayliss kept England focused for World Cup finals
  • Morgan's future depends on his drive and desire, says Strauss Morgan's future depends on his drive and desire, says Strauss

    Andrew Strauss believes Eoin Morgan will need to take time to consider his future as England's one-day captain in the wake of their Cricket World Cup triumph.

    Having been appointed as skipper shortly before a shambolic 2015 World Cup for England, Morgan has overseen a stunning turnaround in fortunes that culminated with Sunday's dramatic final victory over New Zealand at Lord's.

    A day on from that win, outgoing head coach Trevor Bayliss backed the middle-order batsman to lead the team in next year's ICC T20 World Cup, which will take place in Australia.

    Former England captain Strauss feels much will depend on whether Morgan - an ex-team-mate of his at Middlesex, as well as at international level - has the motivation to continue after achieving his primary goal.

    Strauss, who also served as managing director of England Cricket before stepping down in 2018, told Sky Sports: "There is no doubt that if he wants to carry on then he will have incredible support from his team-mates, from the ECB and from the nation.

    "All he needs to do is reflect and think about what's next for him and what's his motivation and drive and desire.

    "If he has got that motivation then 100 per cent carry on but if he hasn't then pause for thought, because the only reason that we won the World Cup is because he was so committed to what happened on Sunday. If that commitment is not there then it is a time for him to think."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.