Anderson lights up gloomy Lord's as India fold

By Sports Desk August 10, 2018

England talisman James Anderson claimed his 26th five-wicket Test haul with a magnificent exhibition of swing bowling as India were skittled out for 107 on another rainy day at Lord's.

No play was possible on the opening day and further rain ensured only 35.2 overs were bowled on Friday, but that was all England’s collection of seamers needed to rip through the tourists.

After captain Joe Root unsurprisingly opted to bowl first, Anderson took two early wickets and Cheteshwar Pujara was run out for one to leave India in the mire on 15-3 before the heavens opened again in London.

England made up for lost time following a long delay, the recalled Chris Woakes (2-19) claiming the key scalp of Virat Kohli and the excellent Anderson (5-20) getting his name of the honours board for a sixth time as India lost seven wickets for 58 runs under blue skies.

India were bamboozled by swing once again and face a major battle to avoid going 2-0 down in the five-match series after suffering defeat in the opener at Edgbaston last week.

Anderson was on the money straight away, striking with the fifth ball when Murali Vijay lost his off stump to a beauty which moved away late, while KL Rahul also fell to England's leading Test wicket-taker, edging through to wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow.

Pujara, named in the side along with Kuldeep Yadav as Shikhar Dhawan and Umesh Yadav missed out, hung around before a terrible mix-up with Kohli, who set off for a quick single before hesitating, leading to both batsmen at one stage heading towards the same end.

Ollie Pope was left with the simple task of whipping the bails off with Pujara stranded and, after a further break for bad weather, Woakes dampened India's spirits further when the action resumed, getting Kohli (23) caught by Jos Buttler at second slip.

Kohli had offered a chance by edging the previous ball past Buttler and there was a sense of deja vu when Hardik Pandya flashed a drive past England's new vice-captain, but he held on from the next delivery after the excellent Woakes found the edge once again.

Sam Curran got in on the act by bowling Dinesh Karthik and Ajinkya Rahane fell to the relentless Anderson, who added another wicket to his tally in the final over after Stuart Broad dismissed leading scorer Ravichandran Ashwin for 29 on a gloomy day for the top-ranked Test side.

Related items

  • Hansen to leave: Five contenders to be the next All Blacks coach Hansen to leave: Five contenders to be the next All Blacks coach

    Joe Schmidt and Ian Foster would appear to be the standout contenders to replace Steve Hansen when the New Zealand head coach ends his glorious reign next year.

    Hansen announced in Auckland on Friday morning that he will step down following the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

    There was plenty of talk about who might replace the long-serving 59-year-old before he revealed his future plans.

    We look at five coaches who could be given the honour of taking charge of the mighty All Blacks.

     

    JOE SCHMIDT

    Schmidt has worked wonders with Ireland, but last month announced he will move on after the World Cup.

    The New Zealander said he will take a break to spend time with his family when he walks away from the Six Nations champions, but also said "never say never" when asked about taking a role with his country of birth.

    New Zealand Rugby chief executive Steve Tew revealed that Schmidt turned down a chance to work under Hansen last year, but rejecting the top job would surely be unlikely.

    Schmidt has masterminded three Six Nations triumphs and a Grand Slam during his Ireland tenure, also toasting two victories over the world champions.

     

    IAN FOSTER

    Hansen's trusted assistant Foster should also be in the running to step up.

    Foster was hailed by Tew for his "invaluable contribution" to the All Blacks' success when he signed a new deal until 2019 last year.

    Recruited by Hansen in 2012, Foster could provide a smooth transition if NZ Rugby opt to promote from within.

    The former Chiefs head coach, who looks after the team's back play and attack, has made no secret of his ambition to replace Hansen.

     

    SCOTT ROBERTSON

    Robertson has been linked with the role after guiding the Crusaders to back-to-back Super Rugby titles.

    The 44-year-old former All Black lifted the title in his first season in charge of the Christchurch franchise and they retained their crown in August.

    Robertson's contract expires after the 2019 season and he has made it clear he would find it hard to say no if offered the chance to coach his country.

    "The All Black job doesn't come up that often does it? When it does, you have to have a really good look at it," said Robertson, who oversaw New Zealand's 2015 World Rugby Under-20 Championship triumph.

     

    WARREN GATLAND

    Warren Gatland is another head coach set to move on to pastures new after the World Cup.

    The long-serving Wales boss stated his intention to work back in his home country of New Zealand after such a long stint in Europe.

    Gatland, who guided the British and Irish Lions to a series draw against the All Blacks last year, has also been linked with the England job.

    Vast experience definitely ought to count in his favour, but Gatland's perceived direct style of play could work against him.

     

    DAVE RENNIE

    Rennie is held in high regard after doing such an outstanding job at the Chiefs before moving on to Glasgow Warriors.

    The 55-year-old also honed the talents of a New Zealand U20 side regarded as the greatest age-grade team in history, including the likes of Beauden Barrett, Brodie Retallick, Sam Cane and Waisake Naholo.

    Rennie won Super Rugby titles in his first two seasons with the Chiefs and was said to be in the running for the Wales job before Wayne Pivac got the nod.

  • Hansen to leave: Highs and highs of his All Blacks reign Hansen to leave: Highs and highs of his All Blacks reign

    Steve Hansen has announced that he will step down as New Zealand head coach following next year's Rugby World Cup.

    A hugely successful tenure will conclude at the end of 2019 after Hansen bids to guide the All Blacks to a third consecutive world title.

    The side's 2015 triumph was the 59-year-old's finest hour as head coach, while there have also been six Rugby Championship successes.

    Hansen has been central to the achievements of one of the world's finest sporting teams since his days as an assistant. We present a timeline of his lengthy stint on New Zealand's coaching staff.

     

    July 2005: A year into his role as an assistant to All Blacks boss Graham Henry, former Wales coach Hansen helped New Zealand dominate the British and Irish Lions in a 3-0 series win.

    October 2007: The team of Henry and Hansen proved less effective as they failed to end New Zealand's 20-year wait for a world title, losing to hosts France in the RWC quarter-finals.

    October 2011: Still working under Henry, Hansen played a role in their belated 2011 RWC final victory against France and was hotly tipped to replace the coach as his contract expired at the end of the year. That appointment was subsequently confirmed in December.

    June 2012: Hansen made a sublime start to life in the hot seat. The All Blacks defeated Ireland in each of his first three matches in charge, the final match of the series a 60-0 drubbing of the visitors in Hamilton.

    September 2012: The first major honour of Hansen's senior coaching career saw New Zealand claim the Rugby Championship title. He ended 2012 as the World Rugby Coach of the Year - an honour he has since scooped on three further occasions.

    November 2013: Another Rugby Championship triumph and another Coach of the Year award followed, but Hansen's most remarkable achievement in 2013 saw him guide the All Blacks through a perfect year. They won 14 of 14 Tests, edging Ireland in their final match of the season.

    August 2015: The first and perhaps only major setback of Hansen's time in charge of New Zealand saw the team fail to retain their title in a shortened Rugby Championship. Australia pipped the All Blacks in a decisive third match.

    October 2015: Revenge was swift and sweet for Hansen. New Zealand defeated the Wallabies in the RWC final to become the first side to retain the Webb Ellis Cup.

    July 2016: Hansen overcame the retirements of the likes of Dan Carter and Richie McCaw, successfully bringing through several future stars before he was reappointed as the All Blacks' head coach through the next RWC cycle.

    July 2017: New Zealand's progress was checked slightly as the Lions excelled on their latest tour. A dramatic draw in the final Test saw the series end level at 1-1.

    December 2018: Just over two months after the All Blacks secured another Rugby Championship triumph, their third in a row and sixth in seven years under Hansen, their coach announced his plan to stand down after next year's World Cup.

  • Glenn to stand down as FA boss next year Glenn to stand down as FA boss next year

    Football Association (FA) chief executive Martin Glenn will step down from his position at the end of the 2018-19 season.

    In a statement released by the organisation, Glenn was praised for having "delivered much of what he came to do" and leaving "strong foundations for his successor".

    Glenn was appointed to the role in 2015 and his first major tournament with the FA ended in ignominy, as England were knocked out Euro 2016 by Iceland at the last-16 stage.

    Manager Roy Hodgson resigned and Glenn's tenure was further hit by Sam Allardyce's embarrassingly truncated spell as Hodgson's successor.

    But England regrouped under Gareth Southgate and enjoyed a superb run to the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup.

    Glenn also oversaw the re-organisation of the domestic fixture schedule that will see English football implement a mid-season break from next season.

    "When I accepted the role of CEO at the FA, I was tasked with improving the effectiveness of the organisation and making it financially secure," Glenn said.

    "I also joined with the strong belief that the England team's performance in tournaments could and should improve, and that the experience of the millions of people who play football could be a better one.

    "I will leave feeling proud of the success of the performance of all the England teams. I am confident that we have established, in St George's Park, a world-class centre which will ensure that the teams will continue to build on their current successes.

    "I hope that the FA will be able to build on this by accelerating the breakthrough of English qualified players into the first teams."

     

    England's age-group teams have entered a dominant period during Glenn's time in charge, with the Under-17 and Under-20 sides both becoming World Cup winners in 2017.

    It has also been a spell of success for the England women's team, who achieved a best-ever finish of third at the 2015 World Cup and reached the semi-finals of Euro 2017.

    The manager who oversaw those campaigns, Mark Sampson, was subsequently sacked after evidence of "inappropriate and unacceptable" behaviour with female players during his time at Bristol Academy.

    Sampson was also found to have made racially discriminatory remarks towards England players Eniola Aluko and Drew Spence. The FA apologised to Aluko and Spence but a Department of Digital Culture, Media and Sport select committee inquiry invited further scrutiny upon Glenn and his organisation.

    He denied allegations that he tried to "blackmail" Aluko into making a statement to say the FA is not institutionally racist.

    In the press release announcing Glenn's departure, the FA said: "Under his leadership, our culture has changed. He has recruited a new team which has helped make us a more progressive, effective and diverse organisation. Now, 34 per cent of our staff are female and 12 per cent from a BAME background.

    "Martin has also been unrelenting in his commitment to women's football, with a record expenditure into all areas of women's football. We are well on track to deliver our commitment to double participation in the game by 2020.

    "In his three-and-a-half years at the helm, Glenn has overseen a 40 per cent increase in revenue but he saw a proposed £600million bid to buy Wembley from Shahid Khan collapse when the billionaire Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham owner pulled out.

    FA chairman Greg Clarke praised Glenn, saying: "His integrity, commitment, energy and passion for football has underpinned the improvements on and off the pitch.

    "The resulting commercial success has funded hugely significant change in the women's game, St George's Park, the FA Cup and the national teams.

    "Martin leaves as his legacy an organisation that is fit for purpose, more diverse, internationally respected and ready to progress to the next level."

     

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

Does a belated gold medal mean as much? T&T 4x100 athletes officially advised of 2008 gold medals Read full story… https://t.co/a0QZ9T8H1r
Netball Jamaica president says the Sunshine Girls deserve better.  https://t.co/5jwZa7ozzZ https://t.co/nrduEsaYAe
Alia Atkinson's motto is if at first, you don't succeed... https://t.co/kzVTCi8gkV https://t.co/rAJy0ZsVsv
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.