Herath could quit after England Test series

By Sports Desk July 10, 2018

Rangana Herath thinks the time could be right to end his Sri Lanka career after the Test series against England in November.

The veteran spinner is set to face South Africa in a two-match series this month and plans to come up against Joe Root's side later in the year.

Herath has played 90 Tests and the great Muttiah Muralitharan is the only Sri Lanka bowler to have taken more wickets than his fellow tweaker's tally of 418 in the longest format.

But the 40-year-old believes that he is finally coming to the end of his international career.

"Maybe my final series will be the England series later in the year," he told BBC Sinhala.

"Following this South Africa series, there is another three months until the England series. For now, this is what I've planned for. There comes a time for every cricketer, when they have to stop playing. I think that time has come for me.

"I'm really glad I've been able to play as long as I have. But the most important thing is that of those 18 years, I wasn't able to play for Sri Lanka for about seven of those years.

"I'm proud of what I was able to do in those seven years - the training I did, and the desire I had, especially."

Related items

  • Miller times it right as South Africa take super route to victory Miller times it right as South Africa take super route to victory

    South Africa recovered from a late batting collapse to record a Super Over triumph at the end of a dramatic first match in their Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka.

    Replying to the tourists' below-par total of 134-7 in Cape Town, the Proteas required 18 from the last four overs but ended up having to scramble a bye from the final delivery just to tie the scores.

    David Miller and Rassie van der Dussen - who had shared a stand of 66 earlier in proceedings - managed to pick up 14 runs in South Africa's extra over, the former taking Lasith Malinga for a six and a four.

    Leg-spinner Imran Tahir then conceded just five - two of which were wides – to secure victory for the hosts, who go 1-0 up with two games to play.

    Quinton de Kock kept wicket for the Super Over but it was Miller who had donned the gloves earlier in proceedings, a decision taken by South African team management with this year’s Cricket World Cup in mind.

    The stand-in claimed a catch from his second delivery on the job and also completed a stumping as Sri Lanka laboured with the bat, despite Kamindu Mendis hitting three fours and two sixes in his 41 from 29 deliveries.

    Thisara Perera (19) and Dhananjaya de Silva (14) made late contributions without putting too much pressure on the home bowlers, Andile Phehlukwayo the pick of the attack with 3-25.

    Miller and Van der Dussen's fourth-wicket partnership, the duo making 41 and 34 respectively, put South Africa on course after a slow start yet both fell in the same over from Malinga, who ended with excellent figures of 2-11 from his four overs.

    Isuru Udana held his nerve at the death, mixing up his pace superbly to leak just four runs, but wicketkeeper Niroshan Dickwella crucially missed a shy at the stumps to clinch victory off the last ball, allowing South Africa to draw level.

    Miller then made the most of his second opportunity in the middle as South Africa eventually prevailed, meaning they can clinch the series at Centurion on Friday.

  • Is there merit in Sir Viv's call to back Skerritt for CWI president? Is there merit in Sir Viv's call to back Skerritt for CWI president?

    The Zone team takes a closer look at Sir Viv Richards claim that electing Skerritt would bring respectability back to the post of CWI president. 

  • Pivac 'disappointed' with Edwards' comments Pivac 'disappointed' with Edwards' comments

    Wayne Pivac is "disappointed" Shaun Edwards suggested he was surplus to requirements with Wales and says there is no chance he will stay on as defence coach.

    Edwards last year agreed to take over as Wigan Warriors head coach when he finishes his commitments with Wales after the Rugby World Cup.

    It now appears the Wigan legend may not take up the role with the Super League champions after he stated that he will be "unemployed" following the World Cup, given he has not signed a contract with his hometown club.

    Edwards said after Wales sealed the Grand Slam on Saturday that he is open to offers, but a role on the Wales staff is out of the question as incoming head coach Pivac is "going in a different direction".

    Pivac confirmed he has secured a successor to Edwards, but says the Englishman was on the shortlist and the pair held talks. 

    He said: "We have finished the process and we have recruited a defence coach and that will come out in due course, hopefully not too much longer." 

    Pivac added: "Shaun has done a fantastic job - we all know that. He's a very, very good defence coach. Shaun was the first person I spoke with. He indicated early on he was under pressure from

    Wigan and that the timeline that was imposed on us were unrealistic.

    "I talked around a process we would be going through. That was pre-autumn and pre-Six Nations. Shaun signed with Wigan and that put paid to the discussions going any further.

    "Shaun knew he was on the shortlist, that he was the incumbent. We'd had a meeting and subsequent conversations.

    "We are a little bit disappointed that's come out over the weekend but we are certainly not going to let it detract from a great result at the weekend.

    "It's between Shaun and Wigan. I have no control over that. I only know about the discussions we had way back in August."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.