Mustafizur Rahman and Mashrafe Mortaza have continued to pose problems for the Windies, restricting the visitors playing in the Walton Tri-Series to just 247-9 in their 50 overs earlier on Monday in Dublin Ireland. 

Windies skipper Jason Holder insists the team is determined to put on a much better display in the third One Day International (ODI) against Ireland on Saturday, following a disappointing performance against Bangladesh in the second game.

After getting off to a blazing start with a close to record total of 381 in the first match against Ireland, on the back of centuries from John Campbell and Shai Hope.  The follow-up effort against Bangladesh was far less impressive after the team was dismissed for 264, despite getting off to a solid start.  Holder, however, insisted the team would focus on getting back to basics at the crease.

“I thought we batted really well in the first game and the second game was a little bit tougher in terms of the pace of the wicket and trying to get runs flowing.  We have had a lot of discussions about how we could improve if we find ourselves back in that situation,” Holder said.

“We trying to get 300 plus runs on the board every time that we bat.  Having said that we were just a little bit off the ball in the last game.  This game we are just looking to so do a few things better and get to that 300 mark.”

Bangladesh overcame Shai Hope recording his third successive century against them as openers Tamim Iqbal and Soumya Sarkar's 144-run stand in Malahide laid the foundations for an eight-wicket win over West Indies.

Two days after he blasted 170 and made a record-breaking 365 alongside fellow opener John Campbell in a victory over Ireland, Hope (109) was in the mood again and scored his sixth hundred - half of which have come against Bangladesh - as the Windies made a bright start in reaching 205-2 in the 41st over.

Yet they lost seven wickets for just 56 more runs, Mashrafe Mortaza (3-49) accounting for three in five balls to help reduce West Indies to 261-9.

Bangladesh needed just 118 more by the time the alliance of Tamim (80) and Sarkar (73) was eventually broken up, and Shakib Al Hasan's run-a-ball 61 not out and Mushfiqur Rahim's unbeaten 32 saw them home with 30 deliveries to spare.

Campbell's back injury meant Hope had a new opening partner in Sunil Ambris, but the wicketkeeper-batsman provided an ominous sign by sending two of the first three balls he faced to the ropes.

Yet the Windies' momentum was halted when Mortaza made three swift breakthroughs, removing Roston Chase (51), Hope and captain Jason Holder, with the Windies tail unable to build on the work done by their in-form opener.

Tamim and Sarkar had got the required run rate down to fewer than five an over by the time the latter holed out to deep midwicket off Chase. 

And though Tamim fell 20 short of a 12th ODI century to leave Bangladesh at 196-2, Shakib and Mushfiqur knocked off the required runs with ease in the second match of the Tri-Nation Series.

West Indies assistant coach Roddy Estwick believes the coming tri-series against Ireland and Bangladesh presents an opportunity for the young players to gain experience and for the World-Cup bound players to get some useful match practice.

West Indies fast bowling legend and Bangladesh bowling coach Courtney Walsh has warned the team’s seamers to be wary of difficult conditions in England.

The Asian country will be one of 10 teams that take the field when the tournament gets under way on May 30.  Unlike drier conditions on the subcontinent, a cloudier atmosphere with more moisture in the air can cause the cricket ball to swing.

The bowling great believes doing well in different conditions will come down to discipline and use of intelligence.

  “It will be a big challenge,” Walsh said.

“There are going to be some good cricket pitches, which are batting-friendly. We have to be intelligent and try to execute well. We have to read the conditions and the surfaces we play. Some places the ball might swing more than the others. We have to assess when we get there,” he added.

Bangladesh will bowl off the tournament against South Africa on June 2nd at the Oval in London.

“Most of the pitches will be docile and flat. We have to work on our variations and execution,” he said. “Everybody studies one another these days. So they know our strengths and weaknesses. Likewise, we also know theirs.”

 

 

Bangladesh bowling coach, former West Indies pacer, wants one of his charges handled with care ahead of the International Cricket Council’s Cricket World Cup in England just weeks away. 

Team manager Khaled Mashud said Bangladesh players and staff were "very lucky" to escape unharmed as they were "three or four minutes" away from being inside a mosque where a terror attack unfolded on Friday.

Mass shootings at two Christchurch mosques resulted in 49 people being killed and 48 injured.

Mashud revealed that the majority of the tourists' squad were inside a bus outside the Al Noor mosque while a massacre took place and saw "bloodstained people staggering out".

He is quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo. "This was a kind of accident that we would never expect nor want in any part of the world.

"We are very lucky because we had a number of us, about 17 of us, in the bus. Soumya Sarkar was also there, and we were all heading to the mosque for prayers.

"Only two of the players [Liton Das and Nayeem Hasan, as well as spin-bowling coach Sunil Joshi] had stayed back in the hotel, and rest of the squad had gone there. We were very close to the mosque, and we could see from the bus. We must have been about 50 yards from the mosque.

"I would say we were really lucky. Had we reached even three or four minutes earlier, we probably would have been inside the mosque. This could then have been a massive incident.

"We are very thankful that we weren't caught in the crossfire, but what we saw was straight out of a movie scene. We could see bloodstained people staggering out of the mosque.

"Maybe in about eight-ten minutes, we were all inside the bus and were sitting with our heads bowed, just in case someone fires at us."

The third and final Test at Hagley Oval - which was due to start on Saturday - was called off following the attacks and the Bangladesh squad will fly home as soon as possible.

Mashud said the players and staff ran through Hagley Park to the ground after being allowed to get off the bus.

He added: "When we realised that the shooters could have inflicted more damage if they had found us inside the bus all at once, we took a collective decision to escape through the back gate.

"We ran or quickly walked out through that gate. Then we were in the dressing room, and the local liaison people explained to us how we could get out of there most safely to our hotel.

"It wasn't their fault, they tried their best according to whatever they are used to in their culture. Our players supported them a lot, with inputs on what was needed at that point of time.

"Our decision to get out was timely, because in videos we saw that people came out and kept shooting later."

The third Test between New Zealand and Bangladesh was cancelled after mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch on Friday.

Bangladesh players narrowly escaped the shootings at one of the mosques, where New Zealand Police confirmed there were multiple fatalities.

The Black Caps and Bangladesh were due to finish their three-Test series at Hagley Oval beginning on Saturday.

However, the Test was cancelled in a joint decision between the two nations.

"Our heartfelt condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by the shocking situation in Christchurch," the Black Caps wrote in a statement on Twitter.

"A joint decision between NZC and the @BCBtigers has been made to cancel the Hagley Oval Test.

"Again, both teams and support staff groups are safe."

Bangladesh duo Tamim Iqbal and Mushfiqur Rahim confirmed on Twitter they had only narrowly escaped the shootings.

Evin Lewis smashed an unbeaten century as the Comilla Victorians defeated the Khula Titans by 80 runs to move to the top of the Bangladesh Premier League on Monday.

Windies pacer Sheldon Cottrell will reportedly replace fellow fast bowler Oshane Thomas in the Rangpur Riders squad for the upcoming Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) after the latter, after an agreement with Cricket West Indies did not apply for a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the regional body. 

The 21-year-old Thomas was drafted by the Rangpur Riders in the October BPL draft and was expected to line-up alongside veteran batting star Chris Gayle for the new season.  The competition is expected to bowl off on January 5 and run through to February 9.

The bowler has, however, been refused permission to take part in the competition by Cricket West Indies (CWI) Thomas is currently a part of the Jamaica squad for this season’s regional four-day competition, which got under way in early December.  Though the Windies are yet to name a squad for the upcoming England tour, but the bowler could also feature at some point during that series that will begin on January 23.  Thomas featured for the West Indies in both recent Asian tours against India and Bangladesh, while Cottrell featured for the team during the Bangladesh series.  Cottrell claimed seven wickets in the three-match T20 series.

The Rangpur Riders, the competition’s defending champions will also add Zimbabwean all-rounder Sean Williams to the squad.

Umpire Tanvir Ahmed the official, who drew the ire of Windies captain Carlos Brathwaite, after several questionable calls during the team’s decisive T20I against Bangladesh, has apologised for some of the decisions.

Ahmed caused plenty of controversy on Saturday after twice calling Windies pacer Oshane Thomas for a no ball.  The umpire deemed Thomas to have overstepped the crease in the final ball of the fourth over, as Bangladesh chased 191.  Ahmed had also called a no-ball on the previous delivery.  Both calls resulted in free hits, which saw the balls dispatched for a pair of sixes.

The West Indies went to win the match by 50 runs but Brathwaite was far from a happy man.  The second no-ball call led the Windies captain to protest against the decision, which held up play for about eight minutes.  Ahmed has since apologised for the errors.

"In terms of a no-ball, there is always the issue of the foot and the line being close to each other," Tanvir told Prothom Alo. "And if the bowler jumps quickly, there are occasions when it is difficult to spot it. I am new to international cricket, I made a mistake.

"If you look at my past, I don't have a bad history. It was one mistake. Inshallah, I will come back well. Every person has good days and bad days. Yesterday I had a bad day. The match just ended yesterday. I am not focusing on anything else. I am thinking about my mistake."

West Indies captain Carlos Brathwaite will accept any sanctions that come his way after holding up play to question incorrect no-ball calls during the third Twenty20 against Bangladesh.

Umpire Tanvir Ahmed ruled West Indies paceman Oshane Thomas had twice overstepped the front line in the early stages of the home side's run chase in Mirpur.

However, on each occasion television replays showed the umpire had mistakenly penalised the bowler, with the second call seeing Bangladesh batsman Liton Das reprieved after chipping a catch to mid-off.

Both free-hits were hit for six and, after being informed of the errors by the dressing room, Brathwaite spoke to Tanvir and fellow on-field official Masudur Rahman before holding a conversation with match referee Jeff Crowe on the edge of the outfield, delaying proceedings for around eight minutes.

The tourists' skipper revealed after the game - which West Indies won by 50 runs to clinch a 2-1 series victory - how he had spoken to Crowe about the standard of officiating after the previous game, during which they had twice successfully overturned lbw decisions with the assistance of the review system.

Tanvir had also been on duty on Thursday, along with Gazi Sohel. All three T20 fixtures were officiated by umpires from Bangladesh.

"Sanctions may come and go, but if you don't stand for something, you fall for everything," Brathwaite told the media after the game.

"If the sanctions are to be handed, I would gladly take it. My team-mates need to be stood up for and as the captain of the ship, I will stand up for them.

"I went to the match referee after the second game. I didn't think the 50-50 decisions were going in our favour. Those decisions went for Bangladesh.

"I never ever want to accuse someone of cheating. I will stop short of that. They are professionals as well. I don't think they would go out there to be biased or, for lack of a better word, cheat.

"I didn't accuse them of cheating but I made my point clear to the match referee that every 50-50 decision in the ODI series and T20I series up to that point went against us.

"Traditionally, we haven't played the best cricket, whether red or white ball. But I found that every time I have been playing for the West Indies, the decisions have hampered us. It happened earlier in the fourth over, so a point needed to be made."

Brathwaite did praise Crowe for his patience while also insisting he had no intention of taking his team off the field at any stage.

"I must commend the match referee," he added. "After we had some stern words, it was resolved. We worked too hard for my team to walk off the field or forfeit the game or series.

"The decision was to stay on, fight on and finish the game."

Keemo Paul claimed the best Twenty20 international figures for a West Indies bowler to seal a series victory over Bangladesh after a devastating innings from Evin Lewis in Mirpur.

The Tigers won the Test and ODI series' against the Windies, but the tourists gained a measure of revenge on Saturday.

Lewis blasted 89 off only 36 balls - including eight sixes - as West Indies posted 190 all out in the decider, Shakib Al Hasan, Mustafizur Rahman and Mahmudullah taking three wickets apiece.

Paul then took centre stage with magnificent figures of 5-15 as Bangladesh were bowled out for 140, Liton Das top scoring with 43 after an early stroke of luck when he was caught in the deep but a no-ball was wrongly called for the second time in the over.

Lewis took no time to get his eye in, smashing Abu Hider for four sixes down the ground in a third over which cost 27 runs after Shakib won the toss and put West Indies in.

Shakib (3-37) ended an opening stand of 76 by cleaning up Shai Hope (23), but Lewis brought up his half-century from only 18 balls in a brutal onslaught.

The clean-striking Lewis looked set for a third T20 international hundred, but missed out when he was bowled by Mahmudullah in the 10th over attempting a slog-sweep.

West Indies - who handed a debut to Sherfane Rutherford - lost their way after the opener departed, Nicholas Pooran's 29 the only other notable contribution as the Tigers hit back well.

There was controversy early in Bangladesh's run chase when umpire Tanvir Ahmed twice called no-ball in an over from Oshane Thomas despite the paceman having part of his foot behind the line, the second giving Das a let-off after he was caught in the deep.

Both free hits were dispatched for six to add insult to injury, ensuring Thomas' over cost 30 runs, but Fabian Allen removed Soumya Sarkar in the next over and Shakib first ball to soften the blow after the Windies had protested with the umpires.

Bangladesh were 89-7 in the 10th when Paul removed Das and Ariful Haque in successive balls and Hider's quickfire 22 was in vain as the hosts fell well short.

Windies skipper Carlos Brathwaite has vowed the team is determined to get back to the type of effort in the field that secured a lopsided win over Bangladesh in the first T20 international last week.

A major criticism of the team following Thursday lopsided effort stemmed from a sloppy performance in the field, which contributed in part to a record 211 runs for the Bangladeshi’s.  In pursuit the regional team was dismissed for 175.

With the series now tied at 1-1 the Windies must find a way to turn their fortunes around to not leave Bangladesh empty-handed following losses to the Asian team in both the ODI and Test series.  

“We didn’t have our best day in the field but that doesn’t mean we’re a bad fielding team,” Brathwaite said following the fixture.

“We’re still as good a fielding team as we were in the first game. That display was excellent, we just had an off night tonight. We should bring our A-game come the last game and try to win the series 2-1,” he added.

The third and final match of the series will be held at Dhaka on Saturday.

Windies captain Carlos Brathwaite believes a poor start to the second T20 international against Bangladesh was a major contributing factor in a 36-run loss on Thursday.

 Sakib Al Hasan stroked an unbeaten 42 off 26 balls before claiming 4 for 21 as Bangladesh blasted a record 211 for four, before dismissing the Windies for 175. 

Opener Liton Das struck 60 off 43 balls while Sakib and Mahmudullah, who remained unbeaten on 43 off 21 balls, to guide Bangladesh to the record total.

Shakib and his deputy Mahmudullah Riyad also shared 89 runs in just seven overs in an unbroken fifth-wicket stand after Bangladesh lost their fifth wicket for 120 in 13 overs.

"We didn't get it right in the first six overs, so we were always chasing, but credit to Bangladesh for playing well,” Brathwaite said.

Cottrell finished with 2-38 as the most successful West Indies bowler.

The third and final match of the series will be held at same ground on Saturday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.