Jason Holder among Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year, Pollard named Leading T20 Player in the world!

By April 14, 2021

Former West Indies Captain Jason Holder has expressed his delight at being named among Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year.

Holder, who was among the West Indies best-performing players during the recently concluded series against Sri Lanka, was named alongside Zak Crawley, Mohammed Rizwan, Dominic Sibley and Darren Stevens. Meantime, Holder’s West Indies teammate and white-ball captain Kieron Pollard was named The Leading T20 Cricketer in the World.

Holder said the recognition is the reward for his hard work.

“This award means so much to me. I’m delighted that my efforts to play well and make a contribution have been bearing fruit and I just want to continue and reach higher heights,” he said.

“To be named one of the five Wisden Cricketers of the Year is something truly special as over the years I have seen a list of great players who have etched their names in history. The last recipient from West Indies was Shai Hope in 2017 and after seeing his performances it inspired me to be one of the Wisden Cricketers of the future.”

 Meanwhile, CWI President Ricky Skerritt praised the talented all-rounder.

“Congratulations to Jason whose all-round cricket excellence is making all West Indians proud. For such a relatively young and intelligent athlete, he should get even better,” he said.

Jimmy Adams, CWI’s Director of Cricket said Holder was deserving of the recognition.

“On behalf of all of us at Cricket West Indies, I want to congratulate Jason on his being selected as one of Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year,” Adams said.

“In a period that has thrown up many challenges, he has performed consistently with distinction and dignity both on and off the field and we wish him all the success possible going forward.”

Holder joins a list of distinguished West Indies players who have been named among Wisden's Cricketers of the Year.

See the list below.

West Indies Wisden Cricketers of the Year
Names in brackets indicate the player was chosen for his feats for a county team. All others were picked mainly for their feats at the international level.
2021 – Jason Holder
2018 – Shai Hope
2013 – Marlon Samuels
2008 – Shiv Chanderpaul (Ottis Gibson)
1997 – (Phil Simmons)
1995 – (Brian Lara)
1992 – Curtly Ambrose, Richie Richardson
1991 – (Desmond Haynes)
1989 – Jeff Dujon (Franklyn Stephenson)
1987 – (Courtney Walsh)
1985 – Larry Gomes
1983 – (Alvin Kallicharran, Malcolm Marshall)
1980 – Joel Garner
1979 – (John Shepherd)
1977 – Gordon Greenidge, Michael Holding, Viv Richards
1975 – (Andy Roberts)
1974 – Keith Boyce, Roy Fredericks
1972 – (Lance Gibbs)
1971 – (Clive Lloyd)
1970 – Basil Butcher
1967 – Seymour Nurse
1964 – Charlie Griffith, Conrad Hunte, Rohan Kanhai, Garfield Sobers
1959 – (Roy Marshall)
1958 – OG “Collie” Smith, Clyde Walcott
1951 – Sonny Ramadhin, Alf Valentine, Everton Weekes, Frank Worrell
1940 – Learie Constantine
1934 – George Headley
1915 – (Sydney Gordon Smith)

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Mendis, Dickwella and Gunathilaka banned for a year for bubble breach Mendis, Dickwella and Gunathilaka banned for a year for bubble breach

    Sri Lanka trio Kusal Mendis, Niroshan Dickwella and Danushka Gunathilaka have been banned from international cricket for a year after breaching the team's bio-secure bubble in England.

    The players were in Durham preparing for the first of three ODIs against the world champions last month when they left the team hotel to visit the city centre despite strict COVID-19-related rules.

    Batsmen Mendis and Gunathilaka and wicketkeeper-batsman Dickwella were sent home and have now been hit with strong sanctions.

    The executive committee of Sri Lanka Cricket took into account recommendation made by an independent panel of inquiry before handing down a 12-month ban from playing at international level and a six-month domestic suspension.

    They were also given a further one-year ban, which is suspended for a two-year period.

    Mendis, Dickwella and Gunathilaka have been fined 10million Sri Lanka Rupees (around £36,000) for their indiscretion.

     

  • Stokes to take indefinite break from cricket to protect mental wellbeing and rest finger Stokes to take indefinite break from cricket to protect mental wellbeing and rest finger

    England all-rounder Ben Stokes has withdrawn from the Test squad to face India in order to prioritise his mental wellbeing and to rest his injured finger.

    The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) on Friday revealed Stokes has decided to take an indefinite break from all cricket with immediate effect.

    Stokes has been captaining the Northern Superchargers in the inaugural Hundred competition but he will not be in the England side to face India when a five-match series starts next week.

    Craig Overton will replace the vice-captain in the squad to take on Virat Kohli's side.

    Managing director of England men's Cricket Ashley Giles, said: "Ben has shown tremendous courage to open up about his feelings and wellbeing.
     
    "Our primary focus has always been and will continue to be the mental health and welfare of all of our people. The demands on our athletes to prepare and play elite sport are relentless in a typical environment, but the ongoing pandemic has acutely compounded this.

    "Spending significant amounts of time away from family, with minimal freedoms, is extremely challenging. The cumulative effect of operating almost continuously in these environments over the last 16 months has had a major impact on everyone's wellbeing.
     
    "Ben will be given as long as he needs, and we look forward to seeing him playing cricket for England in the future."
     

  • England players eager for clarification over Ashes coronavirus protocols England players eager for clarification over Ashes coronavirus protocols

    The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will hold talks with Cricket Australia over coronavirus restrictions during the Ashes amid concerns that several senior players may be reluctant to tour.

    Joe Root's side are due to start their bid to regain the urn at The Gabba on December 8, with the fifth and final Test scheduled to begin at Optus Stadium in Perth on January 18.

    Multi-format players such as Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler would face several months away from home, with the T20 World Cup taking place in the United Arab Emirates prior to the Ashes.

    It is unclear whether COVID-19 rules may prevent families from travelling to Australia and England players have been in talks this week to seek clarity over restrictions that may be in place.

    The ECB and the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA) say player and staff welfare will be a priority as they prepare to hold discussions with Cricket Australia.

    A joint ECB and PCA statement  said: "This week, several meetings have been held between the England men's players, ECB and Team England Player Partnership to discuss provisional plans for the tour of Australia later in the year.

    "All parties are collaborating and will continue to work together to understand protocols around bubble environments, family provision and quarantine rules that will be in place for the tour during the current COVID-19 pandemic.

    "With player and management’s welfare paramount, the ECB will discuss planning and operational requirements with Cricket Australia in the coming weeks and how they seek to implement their policies in partnership with state and federal governments.

    "All stakeholders are committed to putting player and staff welfare as the main priority and finding the right solutions that enables the England team to compete with the best players and at the highest possible standard that the Ashes series deserves."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.