Windies suffer six-wicket loss in ODI opener against Bangladesh in Dhaka

By January 20, 2021

The West Indies suffered a humiliating six-wicket loss to Bangladesh in the first of three ODI’s today, going down by six wickets with 97 balls to spare in the match played at the Shere Bangla National Stadium in Dhaka.

Sent in to bat, the West Indies were bowled out for 122 in 32.2 overs as Man of the Match Shakib Al Hasan took remarkable figures of 4 for 8 from 7.2 overs in his return to cricket from a one-year ban for failing to report corruption.

Hasan Mahmud provided strong support as he took 3 for 28 from six overs. However, the West Indies lost their first two wickets to Mustafizur Rahman who conceded 20 runs from the six overs he bowled.

Kyle Mayers was the best of the West Indies batsmen with 40 runs from the 56 balls he faced. He and Rovman Powell produced the most useful partnership of the West Indies innings with a stand of 59 for the sixth wicket.

However, once Powell got out in the 30th over with the score at 115, the West Indies lost their remaining five wickets for just seven runs.

"It was a bit disappointing for us. The wicket wasn't the easiest one for us, but we didn't have enough partnerships. Even the ones that got starts, didn't convert that for us. It was a great partnership [between Powell and Mayers] but we have to work with the positives,” said Windies captain Jason Mohammed.

It's a difficult place to come and play cricket. The wicket was turning and slow, but we have to put things in place for the next game.”

Captain Tamim Iqbal’s patient 44 provided the foundation for the Bangladeshi reply notwithstanding the efforts of Akeal Hosein who returned figures of 3 for 26 that briefly stymied the home side’s reply.

“Whatever score we put up, our work is to go there and work hard. Akeal on debut was very good, picking up three wickets and being very economical,” Mohammed said.

Wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim was unbeaten on 19 and Mahmudullah nine, as Bangladesh eventually cruised to a comfortable victory.

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Hetmyer fails Windies fitness test for second time in one year Hetmyer fails Windies fitness test for second time in one year

    Top class West Indies talent, Shimron Hetmyer, has been left out of the squad for the upcoming Sri Lanka tour after failing to meet the required fitness standard for the second time in just around one year.

    The exclusion due to falling short of the fitness requirement is a repeat such issue for Hetmyer, who also missed out on selection in February of last year for a tour match against the same opponents.  The 24-year-old Guyanese batsman has been in splendid form of late, only yesterday, crafting a masterful century to push Guyana Jaguars to the semi-final of the Regional Super50 competition.

    According to Cricket West Indies (CWI) stipulations, players must pass a battery of tests that measure stamina and endurance, called the Yoyo test, before being eligible for selection.

    The test is, however, not without controversy as some players who do not make the 40 grade in the yoyo test are given exemptions, at times much to the annoyance of those players who fail to meet the grade.

    Hetmyer will be joined on the sidelines by fast bowlers Sheldon Cottrell and Oshane Thomas, along with West Indies vice-captain and all-rounder Roston Chase.  Cottrell and Hetmyer were among 12 players who declined to take part in the team’s tour of Bangladesh earlier this month, after citing health and safety concerns.

     

     

  • Gayle, Edwards in but no place for Hetmyer or Chase as squads named for Sri Lanka series Gayle, Edwards in but no place for Hetmyer or Chase as squads named for Sri Lanka series

    Chris Gayle and Fidel Edwards have been recalled to the West Indies squad for next month’s T20 Internationals against Sri Lanka.

  • Windies pace bowler Fidel Edwards tipped to be recalled for Sri Lanka T20I series Windies pace bowler Fidel Edwards tipped to be recalled for Sri Lanka T20I series

      Experienced fast bowler Fidel Edwards has been tipped to make a return to the West Indies squad, ahead of the Sri Lanka T20 series, which could mark his first appearance for the team in over eight years.

    The 39-year-old pace bowler last suited up for the regional team against Sri Lanka, at Pallekele, in 2012.  Edwards has been unavailable for selection after signing a Kolpak deal in 2015.  However, the player became available again with the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union and the termination of such contracts.

    Earlier this year, the player announced his availability for the West Indies and also took part in the IPL and Abu Dhabi T10 League.  Despite being one of the oldest active players, in the sport, Edwards has lost none of the pace he has always been noted for and is cable of exceeding 90mph deliveries.  His pace and guile were very much on display in a fiery over against in-form young compatriot Nicholas Pooran during the T10 league.

    The Barbadian-born right-arm pacer has played 20 T20 internationals for the West Indies and claimed 16 wickets.  He has also taken part in 55 Tests and 50 One-day Internationals.  Edwards hopes to be part of the T20 World Cup squad, which will attempt to defend its title in October.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.