Bravo says hundred less about the runs and more about spending time in the middle

By November 22, 2020

Darren Bravo said challenging himself to bat for as long as possible was the key factor behind his century against New Zealand A on Saturday.

The 31-year-old left-hand batter scored 135 for the West Indies who made 366 in response to New Zealand ‘A’s 308 for 3 declared. In all Bravo batted for four hours and 39 minutes, faced 214 balls and hit 13 fours and five sixes, excellent preparation for the upcoming two Tests against New Zealand in early December.

Bravo said the process was all about challenging himself to bat for as long as possible.

“Most importantly for me was spending time out in the middle,” he said while speaking virtually with media from Queenstown on Sunday.

“I know fully well that if I batted for, let’s say two and a half hours, I was definitely going to get a good score. It wasn’t about the runs. The runs are not going to do justice per se but I think spending time out in the middle and understanding the conditions and stuff like that will work in my favour as a batter, so that was basically my main goal.”

This, he says, has been his approach as he looks to get back playing Test cricket on a regular basis and it seems to be paying off.

“Even in the nets, I try my best not to get out, even if I just get to bat for 20 minutes in the fast-bowlers’ nets. It’s just a matter of spending as much time in the middle as possible and challenge myself as much as possible and if I get through that period, because sometimes you tend to get lazy as a batter, I challenge myself throughout.

“My coach asks for us to bat as long as possible and I tried my best to do that and it worked out in this particular innings.”

 

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Reggae Boy Brown was allowed to leave Bengaluru FC to seek more playing time Reggae Boy Brown was allowed to leave Bengaluru FC to seek more playing time

    Bengaluru FC coach Naushad Moosa insists the club parted ways with Jamaica international Deshorn Brown in order to allow the player to search for more playing time.

    The 30-year-old forward recently completed a move to top-flight Indian team NorthEast United, away from Bengaluru, who he joined last year on a one-and-a-half-year deal.  Brown scored three goals in 17 appearances and increasingly found first-team football hard to come by.  

    Moosa replaced outgoing coach Carles Cuadrat, as the club looks to begin a rebuilding process, that has seen the former B-team coach step up as head coach.

    "When you talk about Brown, as a club we want to help the player. Now if you see Ajay (Chhetri), he is getting playing opportunities with East Bengal. Brown was not getting enough playing time (at Bengaluru). So, for his development, we should allow him to go and play [elsewhere]. We thought we should help him get more playing time," Moosa said.

    Brown will be looking to regain his goalscoring form with the Highlanders who will be without Kwesi Appiah who is set to miss the rest of the season with an injury.  The Jamaican has previously played for the likes of DC United and Colorado Rapids.  It is hoped will be able to link up with Idrissa Sylla and Luis Machado. 

    Brown has played 14 games for Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz since making his debut in 2013.

     

     

     

     

  • 'My age won't stop me' - Fraser-Pryce targets familiar spot atop medal podium for Olympics 'My age won't stop me' - Fraser-Pryce targets familiar spot atop medal podium for Olympics

    Jamaica track and field star, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, does not anticipate that age will be a barrier to achieving success when the 2021 Olympics finally rolls around.

     At 34, Fraser-Pryce will be one of the oldest women lined up to face the starter's gun, should the event eventually be staged in Tokyo later this year.  The 32nd Olympiad was initially slated to be staged last summer but was postponed due to the impact of the global coronavirus pandemic.

    The postponement of the quadrennial event has meant another year of training and preparation for some legendary athletes facing another race, the one against time.  The situation will not be an entirely new one for nine-time World champion and two-time Olympic champion Fraser-Pryce.  In 2019, at the age of 32, she became the oldest female sprinter to win a 100m world title.  In that event, by comparison, silver medalist, Britain’s Dina Asher-Smith was nine years her junior.  Showing herself to be very much at the top of her game in 2020, however, despite the havoc the global pandemic wrought on the international schedule, Fraser-Pryce is clearly in the mood to defy the odds yet again.

    “Yes, I’m 33, but if I can come back from having my son and be able to stand on the podium, my age is not going to stop me.  I’m still going to work hard.  I’m still going to be committed and I’m grateful for the years of experience I’ve had,” Fraser-Pryce told the BBC.

    "I'm probably older than most of the women in the race but so what? I'm just focusing on getting the job done and being happy."

  • Lara was shocked by jeering Jamaica crowd – rates shot-filled Sabina 213 as most memorable innings Lara was shocked by jeering Jamaica crowd – rates shot-filled Sabina 213 as most memorable innings

    Legendary West Indies batsman, Brian Lara, has pointed to a performance that emanated from one of the uglier, darker moments of a largely sparkling career as one of his most memorable.

    In one of a few instances the batting star was not greeted by applause and gestures of widespread adoration on his sojourn to the crease, Lara was booed by the Sabina Park crowd when strode out for the second Test of the 1999 Australia tour of the West Indies.

    During a tumultuous period for the Windies, the issue for some home fans stemmed from what they believed to be disrespect shown to bowling legend Courtney Walsh in what they deemed to be a hostile takeover of the captaincy by the Trinidadian.  Walsh, who was appointed captain in 1994, served as captain for 22 Test matches before being replaced by Lara in 1998.  On the back of a heavy loss to Australia in the first Test and having also previously been whitewashed by South Africa, The Prince found himself occupying the unusual status of public enemy.

    His response, a classy, shot-filed 213, which would go on to underpin a massive 10 wicket win at Sabina Park to level the series, it must be said, went a long way in lightening the mood.

    “Everyone says the 153 was second maybe to Sir Don Bradman’s (Against England at Melbourne in 1936-1937), maybe post-war, one of the better innings, but a week before that I was in Jamaica where we played against Australia in that second Test match,” Lara told 7Cricket.

    “We came off scoring 51 in the fourth innings in Trinidad and I stood there in Jamaica, I was given the captaincy for two Test matches, on probation, never before had that happened in the history of West Indies cricket…that 213 in Jamaica was for me (special) in terms of not just batsmanship but my inner strength to come out of that situation I was in,” he went on.

    “I was facing expulsion as the captain, of course, I was going to be playing, the captaincy was not that important to me that I wouldn’t play, but the threat of the expulsion and the fact that everyone was sort of jeering against me, in the Caribbean, was just unbelievable.”

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.