CWI board should have four ex-cricketers' - former WI captain Lloyd calls for inclusion of ex-players at top level

By Sports Desk October 01, 2020
Clive Lloyd Clive Lloyd

West Indies legend Clive Lloyd has pointed to a continued lack of inclusion of former players at the board level of regional cricket as being a significant hindrance to improving the fortunes of the struggling team.

Though typically the realm of lifelong administrators and businessmen, the cricket boards of the sport’s big three, England, India, and Australia have included former players at the top level of the game’s governance.  Currently, India is the best example with former captain Sourav Ganguly serving as president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, on a body that also included Brijesh Patel.  The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) recently added former captain Andrew Strauss as a non-voting member but also includes women’s player Lucy Pearson.  For Cricket Australia, Michael Kasprowicz resigned from the board earlier this year but two-time women’s World Cup winner Mel Jones remains a member of the board.

“The board should have four ex-cricketers.  Knowledgeable, intelligent people who want to take our cricket forward,” Lloyd told the Mason and Guest radio program.

“When I was at Lancashire on the committee, we had 16 or 17 people on the committee, but we had to have six cricketers, that was enshrined in the constitution because it’s a cricket club.  That’s why cricket is taken care of in England.  All the clubs have the same situation.”

“We do not have a Test cricketer of note on our board.  If you look at all the other boards, Australia have had four captains on their board.  India have had some of their ex-players on their board.  England, who they have coaching the team, and the ECB have their ex-cricketers…cricketers are involved in the development of the game. (In the West Indies) If you decide to be a part of the board and you are somebody of some standing, they don’t seem to want you because they believe you will overshadow them.”

The current Cricket West Indies (CWI) body does have Michael Findlay, who played Test cricket for the West Indies between 1969 to 1973 along with Julian Charles and Enoch Lewis who played cricket at the regional level.

 

 

 

 

Related items

  • 'He's looking like the Brathwaite of old'- Windies skipper Holder encouraged by opener's form heading into Test series 'He's looking like the Brathwaite of old'- Windies skipper Holder encouraged by opener's form heading into Test series

    West Indies captain Jason Holder believes opening batsman Kraigg Brathwaite could be on the verge of rediscovering his best form, ahead of the start of the series against New Zealand.

    The 28-year-old had shown great promise alongside Shai Hope at the top of the order, scoring 134 and 95 when the West Indies successfully chased down 322 for a memorable win at Headingley in 2017.

    Brathwaite then suffered a dip in form, averaging 25.33 in his last 20 Tests ahead of the England series this year.  His struggles included poor showings against India and Afghanistan.  The player did show a flicker of returning to form during the team’s last Test tour against England where he scored two half-centuries.  Brathwaite reached 65 in the first and got 75 in the second but, however, also had other innings scores of 4, 12, 1, and 19 to average 21.

    The opener though, looked good in the team’s warm-up matches against New Zealand A, where he scored 246 in the second warm-up match.  The performance has encouraged the West Indies captain.

    “It’s good to see our opening batsmen, including Kraigg, getting some scores.  I thought he shaped up really well in England, he good a few half-centuries, got a few starts and he’s starting to look like the Kraigg Brathwaite of old,” Holder told CWI media.

    “He’s obviously been a banker for us over the years, he’s had a lean patch over the last couple of years but to see him coming back into stride the way he has.  I was remarking to one of the coaches that the innings I saw in Queenstown, the double hundred, was one of the most fluent innings I have seen from him.  It reminded me of a Test match innings he played in Hobart where he got 97 in the second innings that was one of the most fluent innings I’ve ever seen from Kraigg but this one was similar,” he added.

    “For me, his balance looks really good and he is striking the ball really well.  So, let’s hope he can continue in that vein and get us off to some really good starts.”  

  • Ambrose questions Andre Russell's commitment to West Indies cricket Ambrose questions Andre Russell's commitment to West Indies cricket

    Andre Russell has been lighting up the Lankan Premier League with both bat and ball delighting his many fans around the world.

  • 'He threw a knife at me' - Butler adamant father's claims wounds caused by fall make 'no sense' 'He threw a knife at me' - Butler adamant father's claims wounds caused by fall make 'no sense'

    Jamaica U-23 representative, Kyle Butler, has revealed more details of the alleged incident between himself and father/manager Craig Butler, which led to the wounds seen on his arms in widely circulated social media photos.

    According to the younger Butler, who lashed out on Tuesday amidst claims of having suffered years of abuse, the incident happened after he had refused to take part in a training session.  The senior Butler, who has denied the allegations, initially claimed that the injuries seen were suffered after his son 'fell on a stick'.  Kyle, however, disputed that version of events.

    “All I said was that I was not going to train.  So, I went into the car, took out my shoes, and said I was walking home because he said to leave the jeep.  While I was walking he asked me, ‘If I feel like is suh it ago guh.’ He grabbed me by my hair, punched me in my mouth, punched me in the back of my head,” Butler said in an interview with Nationwide Radio.

    He went on to claim that when the altercation was broken up, his father went to his van took out a knife, and threw it at him while he was leaving the premises.  The player attempted to dodge the object, but it still caught him on the arm.

    “The knife could have hit me anywhere else.  I have no reason to lie, I have no reason to attack this guy.  Why would I fall on a knife at training, why would I fall on something so sharp that it goes through my flesh, at a football field, tell me, how does that make sense?’

    In a released statement, the senior Butler continued to claim the allegations were unfounded and that his son had been battling ‘major issues.’

    I’m responding in this way of my son Kyle Butler allegations of my being physically abusive on the evening of November 30, 2020. My heart goes out to my son as he battles with some major issues and now these unfounded allegations.

    “Let me categorically state that I have not been abusive to my son on that date or any other date. I have encouraged him and helped him to achieve his full potential. I have worked hard to create opportunities for my son of which he enjoyed for years.  There was no complains then.

    “I’m cognizant of the many issues Kyle has gotten him self in and things that my profession and principles would never allow me to be a part of.  This has created a major problem in our relationship as I have stated that this is not the path any parent would hope for their child.  I am hoping that he will find his way and recognize that his family loves him amd want only what is best for him.

    I hope my son will get the chance to show how talented he is and believe in himself as I have always believed in him.  I only ask that the public allows us the privacy to work through this matter,” Butler’s statement read.

     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.