'Dottin will be eased back into bowling'- WI Women coach Coley says player still on recovery program

By Sports Desk September 25, 2020

West Indies Women interim coach Andre Coley has revealed that the team is still easing all-rounder Deandra Dottin back into full action, against England, after a lengthy injury layoff.

With scores of 69 and 38 in the T20 series so far, Dottin has looked anything but rusty.  Notably, however, the player is yet to have a turn with the ball.  Dottin, as she often has, would prove more than a valuable weapon for the West Indies with the ball as well.  In 115 matches, she has claimed 59 wickets.

Having suffered a serious injury to her right shoulder in early 2019, which required reconstructive surgery in June of last year, however, Coley insists the team is still doing recovery work with the all-rounder.

“She’s just recovered from injury.  It’s no secret that our players haven’t been able to do much for a very long time,” Coley said.

“Deandra is on a back to bowling program.  She started that whilst we were here, so she is still on that.  We need to make sure that she is 100 percent, to be able to bowl competitively.  She has been doing bowling work behind the scenes in training,” he added.

“We are comfortable in terms of where she is at, but we want to make sure that long term she is ok and she can bowl at the intensity she wants to consistently and not just for a game or two.”

 

Related items

  • 'Being left on the sidelines pinched Gayle' - BCCI president Ganguly believes early season benching helped batsman 'Being left on the sidelines pinched Gayle' - BCCI president Ganguly believes early season benching helped batsman

    Board of CricBCCI president Sourav Ganguly is convinced West Indies star Chris Gayle was hurt by being left on the bench for Kings XI Punjab earlier this season, despite his trademark broad smile suggesting otherwise.

    The 41-year-old big-hitter was left out of the line-up for the first six games of the Indian Premier League (IPL) season.  With the team struggling to a 1-6 record, the player was scheduled to appear for the seventh match but was sidelined with a stomach illness.

    Gayle eventually made his debut with an important 53 against Royal Challengers Bangalore that kept the team’s season alive.  Since his introduction, KXIP's playoff chances have been revived as they have won three games in a row and go for a fourth on Saturday.  In analysing the situation, Ganguly praised Gayle’s performance and believes some time on the sidelines may have helped the West Indies star.  Typically an opener, Gayle has been brought into the line-up as a number three batsman with captain KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal doing a great job at the very top of the order.

    “We all think Chris Gayle keeps laughing and roaming but it pinched him that he has been made to sit out,” Ganguly told Star Sports.

    “These are the things to see and learn from. IPL is just too much competition,” he added.

  • Mumbai go top after Boult and Bumrah burst sets up CSK drubbing Mumbai go top after Boult and Bumrah burst sets up CSK drubbing

    Trent Boult took four wickets and Ishan Kishan blasted an unbeaten half-century as Mumbai Indians returned to the top of the Indian Premier League with a 10-wicket hammering of Chennai Super Kings.

    It was the most one-sided of contests at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, where CSK could only post 114-9 on Friday.

    That marked something of a recovery for the bottom side, who were reeling on 3-4 after Boult (4-18) and Jasprit Bumrah (2-25) took two wickets apiece in devastating opening bursts.

    They were rocking on 43-7 before Sam Curran spared them complete humiliation with 52 from 47 balls. 

    Rahul Chahar also capitalised on the sorry Super Kings' batting frailties by taking 2-22 and the Indians openers made light work of moving them back to the summit.

    Kishan made 68 from a mere 37 deliveries and the in-form Quinton de Kock finished unbeaten on 46 as the defending champions sealed a thumping win with as many as 7.4 overs to spare.

    Victory moves Mumbai level on points with Delhi Capitals and Royal Challengers Bangalore.

     

    BOULT AND BUMRAH WREAK HAVOC IN PITIFUL POWERPLAY

    CSK were floored by Boult and Bumrah as they lost five wickets in the powerplay for the first time ever.

    The brilliant Boult trapped Ruturaj Gaikwad leg before in the first over and had Faf du Plessis caught behind by De Kock after Bumrah struck twice in as many balls, seeing the back of Ambati Rayudu and Narayan Jagadeesan.

    Curran offered some much-needed resistance without notable support before he was bowled off the last ball of the innings from Boult, who also dismissed Ravindra Jadeja.

    New Zealand seamer Boult is third in the list of leading wicket-takers in the 2020 IPL with 16, one less than Bumrah.

     

    SEALED WITH A KISH

    It takes a special innings to upstage South Africa white-ball captain De Kock and Kishan produced one.

    The 22-year-old struck five sixes in another demonstration of his immense talent, reaching his half-century by disdainfully reverse-sweeping Jadea over the rope.

    Gaikwad gave Kishan a life when he put him down, summing up CSK's day, and De Kock - who had made three consecutive half-centuries - struck a couple of sixes as Mumbai coasted to victory.

  • Robshaw apologises after England-Barbarians is called off due COVID-19 protocol breach Robshaw apologises after England-Barbarians is called off due COVID-19 protocol breach

    Chris Robshaw has expressed his "deepest apologies" after he was among the Barbarians players who breached coronavirus protocols, resulting in Sunday's clash with England being cancelled.

    Former England captain Robshaw was due to make his final appearance in his homeland at Twickenham this weekend before joining Major League Rugby side San Diego Legion.

    The Quilter Cup contest will not go ahead, though, after Harlequins legend Robshaw was one of a number - reportedly a dozen - of Baa-Baas players to breach strict regulations.

    An investigation was launched by the Rugby Football Union (RFU) after members of the squad left the team hotel without permission or informing organisers about their whereabouts on Wednesday. 

    The players in question were separated from the rest of the group in the bubble upon their return. 

    It was then confirmed by the RFU on Friday that an earlier undisclosed breach of the COVID-19 rules took place on Tuesday, with Barbarians players leaving the hotel without permission and not isolating from team-mates after they returned. 

    The RFU stated it had no alternative but to call the contest off.

    Robshaw held his hands up in a remorseful twitter post, writing: "I want to express my deepest apologies for breaching Barbarians COVID-19 restrictions by leaving the hotel post-training with some of my team-mates.

    "A huge effort went into conducting this match in a safe fashion and it was irresponsible of me to break the protocols which are put in place to protect players, staff and the public

    "I understand that my actions have ultimately contributed to the cancellation of Sunday's match and I am sincerely remorseful for my role in undoing all the amazing work that went into trying to make it happen. I promise that I will learn from this mistake and ensure something like this never happens again."

    The match was due to give England some playing time a week before they face Italy in a decisive final Six Nations match against Italy in Rome.

    England's 2003 World Cup-winning coach Clive Woodward was left in "disbelief" at the behaviour of the players.

    "I'm sure they're feeling incredibly stupid and incredibly embarrassed. It's just stupidity, they've been ridiculously stupid," Woodward told talkSPORT. 

    "My reaction was just kind of gobsmacked really. These are professional players and they know what's at stake. It's live on TV, it's a game that everyone was looking forward to. 

    "I can't believe they've been so naive and stupid to think they can get away with it. People could see them, they're well-known people. I just shake my head in disbelief." 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.