Archer out of second Test against West Indies after breaching bio-secure protocols

By Sports Desk July 16, 2020

Jofra Archer has been excluded from England's squad for the second Test against West Indies following a breach of the team's bio-secure protocols.

The pace bowler claimed match figures of 3-106 in the series opener last week in Southampton, a game the tourists won by four wickets to go 1-0 up in the three-match series.

England will aim to draw level in Manchester but Archer will not be in their XI as he isolates for five days.

The 25-year-old will also undergo two COVID-19 tests during that period, with both results needing to be negative before his self-isolation is lifted.

With both teams staying at Old Trafford as part of the measures put in place for the series due to the coronavirus pandemic, West Indies have been informed of the situation and are satisfied with the measures imposed.

"I am extremely sorry for what I have done," Archer said in a statement released by England ahead of Thursday's opening day of play.

"I have put, not only myself, but the whole team and management in danger. I fully accept the consequences of my actions, and I want to sincerely apologise to everyone in the bio-secure bubble.

"It deeply pains me to be missing the Test match, especially with the series poised. I feel like I have let both teams down, and again I am sorry."

England announced on Wednesday that James Anderson and Mark Wood will be rested for the second Test, meaning the former misses out on playing at his home ground.

With Archer also now out, Stuart Broad appears certain to be recalled. The home side drafted in left-armer Sam Curran and uncapped Sussex seamer Ollie Robinson to a 13-man squad which also included Chris Woakes.

Joe Root returns to captain the team after missing the opening Test due to the birth of his second child.

Related items

  • Shepherd confident Guyana can end winless curse in 'different' CPL Shepherd confident Guyana can end winless curse in 'different' CPL

    Guyana Amazon Warriors pace bowler Romario Shepherd is quietly confident that this can be the year the team snaps its Caribbean Premier League (CPL) drought, despite the unusual circumstances surrounding the competition.

    Due to issues of safety stemming from the coronavirus pandemic, the entire tournament will be staged in Trinidad and Tobago, with enhanced bio security across two venues.  The teams will begin departing for the twin island republic on Monday, ahead of the tournament’s commencement on the August 8th.

    “I am really looking forward to performing and helping us win the tournament this time. It’s long overdue, so this year is our year. Everything is different, so the results will be different this year,” Shepherd told the Guyana Times.

    The player believes the task will be made complex by the fact that the majority of players have not been able to play competitive cricket due to the onset of the pandemic

    ““Being in a pandemic for the first time, I am a bit nervous and tentative going into the tournament. (For) a big tournament like this, you need match practice, and this season will be one of the toughest seasons, not just for me, but for everyone playing in the tournament,” Shepherd said.

    “Just the guys coming back from England would have been active, but for the players in the Caribbean, it would be really tough. (There has been) no match practice, and you have to click from the beginning.”

    Last season Shepherd claimed 13 wickets in an outstanding season for the Warriors who did not lose until the final.  Despite making it to the final five times the Guyana franchise remains without a title.

     

     

  • 'He needed to rough batsmen up' - Windies legend Ambrose disappointed with Joseph 'He needed to rough batsmen up' - Windies legend Ambrose disappointed with Joseph

    West Indies legend Sir Curtly Ambrose has admitted to some level of disappointment with the performance of young fast bowler Alzarri Joseph in the recently concluded series loss to England.

    The 23-year-old was tipped for a breakthrough performance ahead of the England series, but that promised failed to materialise.  Joseph had several bright spells of bowling when the teams met in the Caribbean last year, but in the rematch on English soil, these were few and far between.

    Joseph claimed figures of 2 for 98 in the first Test, before getting 1 for 84 in the second Test.  He was replaced in the final Test by off-spinner Rahkeem Cornwall.

    Ambrose, himself once one of the world’s premier fast bowlers, believes the young West Indian may have been guilty of being too passive.

    “I was a little bit disappointed with the performance of Alzarri Joseph.  The pitches they played on, obviously, they were not the quickest, but as a fast bowler, you can’t be telling yourself that boy, it’s a slow pitch so I am just going to amble in and put it on a spot, no.  Whether a pitch is fast or slow, you as a fast bowler have to put out your best, and Alzarri, to me, he was bowling within himself and not looking to bowl fast,” Ambrose told the Antigua Observer.

    “Alzarri Joseph is not a put-on-a-spot, hold-up-one-end type of bowler.  Jason Holder, the captain, can do that.  He can’t really bowl fast, but he can come at one end and put it on a spot and swing it around, seam it around and get a couple of wickets, but Alzarri is a guy who has to run in and bowl fast, look to rough up batsmen.  He will look to get wickets obviously, but rough batsmen up and let them know that ‘I am here’.”

     

     

  • Cespedes opts out of MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns Cespedes opts out of MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns

    New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes has decided to play no further part in the 2020 MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns. 

    The Mets revealed they had not been able to contact the outfielder after he did not turn up for a 4-0 loss to the Atlanta Braves on Sunday. 

    Cespedes was due to be at Truist Park despite not being named in the line-up. 

    Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said: "As of game time, Yoenis Cespedes has not reported to the ballpark today. 

    "He did not reach out to management with any explanation for his absence. Our attempts to contact him have been unsuccessful." 

    Van Wagenen later revealed the 34-year-old Cuban's agent had informed the Mets he will not play again in the current campaign, citing the COVID-19 pandemic for the decision. 

    It will bring Cespedes' time with the Mets to an end, as he is set to be an unrestricted free agent when the campaign is over. 

    "We support everybody and every player's right to make this type of decision. This is a challenging time for everyone," Van Wagenen said to the media. 

    "It was surprising, without question. At the same point, we have to go forward and not allow anything to keep us from going forward." 

    Two-time All Star Cespedes has been beset by injury problems but was on the Mets' Opening-Day roster following two years on the sidelines. 

    He hit the winning home run against the Braves in a dream return and has featured in eight of the Mets' first nine games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.