Chris Gayle out of India tour, shutting down for the remainder of 2019

By November 26, 2019

Veteran West Indies opener Chris Gayle has announced that he is taking a break for the remainder of the year.

The 40-year-old batsman has reportedly told the West Indies selectors that he will not be available for the upcoming tour of India starting next month. The West Indies are set to play three T20 Internationals and three ODIs on the sub-continent starting December 6.

"West Indies called me to play ODIs, but I am not going to play. They (selectors) want me to play with the youngsters but for this year I am going to take a break," said Gayle, who has also made it known that he will be available for Australia’s Big Bash or the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL).

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • CWI decline to nominate Cameron for ICC post, Barclay  front runner CWI decline to nominate Cameron for ICC post, Barclay front runner

    Cricket West Indies (CWI) has elected not to nominate former president Dave Cameron to the post of International Cricket Council Chairman, opting instead to not make a selection.

    Cameron hoped to be in competition for the top spot, along with former ECB Chairman Colin Graves, Singapore’s Imran Khwaja, who is currently serving as the interim ICC chair, and Greg Barclay of New Zealand.

    Graves was thought to be the favorite for the post but failed to attract enough votes to stay in contention. With the deadline expiring on the weekend, the position is now set to be contested by Barclay and Khwaja.

    Recent reports suggest Barclay – an outsider up to now but a director of New Zealand Cricket since 2012 – already has the backing of India, England, and Australia but will still require 11 votes out of the 16 ICC board members with voting rights to prevail.

    The ICC has outlined that the nominees must be either a former or current ICC board member.  The USA Cricket Hall of Fame had asked CWI to nominate Cameron, 49, as chairman but the proposal found no favour.  His name was not among the nominees after the deadline closed.

    "I reached out to certain people but did not hear anything from them, so I guess that it is safe to state that I was not nominated by anyone for the post seeing that the process that now closed,” Cameron told T&T Guardian.

    CWI vice-president Dr. Kishore Shallow also confirmed the board did not nominate Cameron.

    According to Shallow: "It did come up for discussion and we did not nominate anybody for the post."

     

     

  • Cornwall eyes big performance for 'make or break' New Zealand Test series Cornwall eyes big performance for 'make or break' New Zealand Test series

    West Indies offspinner, Rahkeem Cornwall, is determined to have an impactful performance on the upcoming tour of New Zealand, after coming up empty-handed on the previous tour of England.

    The 27-year has claimed 13 wickets in three Test matches so far but failed to have a major impact in the team's 2-1 loss to England.  Cornwall was added to the bowling line-up for the third Test and had a spell of 27 balls for 85 runs but did not get a wicket. 

    Having been included in the upcoming squad to New Zealand, Cornwall is dead set on making a much more telling impact with the ball this time around.

    “I think I am prepared for the tour,” Cornwall told the Antigua Observer.

    “I think that this one either makes me or breaks me. I think it’s about time I show what I am worth on the international scene.  I do have a ten-wicket haul in Test cricket, but I need to show a little bit more in terms of starting to get my performance together and make sure this New Zealand tour courts,” he added.

    Cornwall's best Test match figures came against Afghanistan where he claimed an overall 10 for 121 and previously captured two wickets against India on his debut.

  • Holder hurt by cricket's lack of continued Black Lives Matter support Holder hurt by cricket's lack of continued Black Lives Matter support

    West Indies captain Jason Holder has expressed disappointment for the overall lack of continued support for the Black Lives Matter movement during ongoing cricket tours.

    Initially, England and West Indies adopted the anti-racism stance ahead of their three-Test matches in July as part of the worldwide protests following the death of George Floyd in Minnesota. 

    Sports like the NBA and English Premier League (IPL) have, however, continued the gesture of taking a knee.  In cricket, England and Ireland also took the knee in their ODI series, after the West Indies, but that position was shelved when the home side welcomed Pakistan and Australia later in the year.

    "I personally was a bit disappointed to see how the Pakistan and Australia tours went on after ours. That they were not showing their solidarity afterwards,” Holder said, after he and his team were given the Cricket Writers' Club's Peter Smith Award for becoming the first international team to tour amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    "It's a hard challenge and a long hard road. It's not an overnight fix but the most important thing is we come together and see each other as equal human beings,” he added.

    Legendary West Indies bowler turned commentator Michael Holding was critical of the lack of action.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.