Coach Springer disappointed in lack of fight from West Indies Women

By September 17, 2019

West Indies Women’s Coach Henderson Springer said he was disappointed in the performance of the team that lost their T20 match against Australia and with it, any chance to rebound in the series.

Australia took an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match T20 International series when they defeated the West Indies Women by nine wickets at the Kensington Oval in Barbados.

 “To me, it was very disappointing. We did not hit many of our targets, some poor decision making with the three run-outs we had. It’s not something we would ever want to repeat while playing,” he said.

Those three run-outs helped limit the West Indies Women to 97 for 9.

 Britney Cooper and Kyshona Knight gave the home side a steady start but with 30 runs on the board, Knight was dismissed for 6.

 Cooper, meanwhile, looked set to score her second T20I half-century but was run out for 39 backing up too far when Ash Gardner deflected a shot from Stacy Ann King onto the stumps.

 A procession of wickets followed as the West Indies Women collapsed from 30 for 1 to 64 for 7.

 Chinelle Henry and Shanika Gajnabi salvaged the innings with a partnership of 23 but it was too little too late. Henry remained unbeaten on 21 not out.

 Jess Jonassen finished with 2 for 19 while Ash Gardener had 1 for 12, bowling for Australia.

 Australia made light work of the total making 98 for 1 in 14.3 overs.

 Alyssa Healy was unbeaten on 58 while Captain Meg Lanning finished on 22 not out.

 Afy Fletcher took the lone Australian wicket, ending with figures of 1 for 13 from her four overs.

 As if to rub salt into an already gaping wound Henry had to be stretchered off after tweaking her knee while bowling and took no further part in the match.

 “I think we could have played a lot better and we need to in the last match coming up on Wednesday,” Springer said.

 “Despite the rain earlier in the day, we still had a full 20-over match, so it should not have hampered the focus, but unfortunately we didn’t put up the score we wanted.

 “We have one more match in this series and we will rebuild again because it’s a long road and a hard road and the girls have got to resurrect that fight.”

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Overlooked Lyon not giving up on T20 World Cup hopes Overlooked Lyon not giving up on T20 World Cup hopes

    Nathan Lyon is refusing to give up hope on featuring for Australia at their home ICC Men's T20 World Cup despite missing out on selection against Sri Lanka and Pakistan.

    The spinner has only made two T20I appearances for his country – the last of those coming a year ago – and is not included for his country's upcoming series in 20-over cricket.

    But Lyon, Australia's third-highest wicket-taker in Tests, still wants to play in all three formats and will continue to make himself available.

    "Definitely I want to put my hand up for all games of cricket, especially for Australia," he said.

    "Whatever game I play cricket for, I just need to make sure I'm doing my job and if I keep putting my hand up for selection, who knows where that may lead to?"

    Lyon, who was facing a similar battle prior to the 50-over World Cup before entering as Australia's front-line spinner, insists there is no issue with chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns.

    "He just called me and told me I wasn't in," he added.

    "But I had a really good chat to Cracker [Hohns] – I get along really well with him – so if I have any issues with Cracker, I'll just pick up the phone.

    "There's no doubt. I have the absolute utmost respect for him so there's no dramas there."

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: England ready to embrace Wallabies challenge – Marler Rugby World Cup 2019: England ready to embrace Wallabies challenge – Marler

    Joe Marler said England have no fears as they prepare for Saturday's Rugby World Cup quarter-final against Australia.

    Marler came out of test retirement at the end of the last season to join up with Eddie Jones' England squad, who are well rested for the clash in Oita having had their final pool game against France abandoned due to Typhoon Hagibis.

    The 29-year-old Marler was part of the England team that did not reach the last eight in 2015, but believes the 2019 squad are better equipped to embrace the challenges of knockout rugby.  

    "I don't think it's pressure. The group has now got a mind-set of 'bring it on – bring on the challenges'," he told reporters.

    "We embrace it and look forward to it as opposed to shying away from it.

    "I have been involved in teams who have let nerves overcome them, caved in and allowed them to become negative. I don't feel that in this group. The boys embrace the nervousness and use it as a positive energy to drive us on."

    Marler had retired from internationals in 2018 due to family reasons but could not resist the opportunity to win a World Cup with England, having been called into the squad for the showpiece tournament in Japan.

    "That was part of the reason I came out of retirement. I could see the potential in this group and I wanted a taste of that. That's ultimately what's driving me on for the next couple of weeks," he added.

    "It hasn't been easy. I've had to work my buns off to try and get back to an emotional and mental state capable of contributing to the squad the best I can.

    "And the physical state too. That has been even harder. You come out of it for a year and you forget how fast they do everything."

  • No room for Gayle, Brathwaite in new Windies squads No room for Gayle, Brathwaite in new Windies squads

    There was no room for veteran Windies opener Chris Gayle as the new Cricket West Indies selection panel named squads for all three formats for the team’s series against Afghanistan.

    The 40-year-old batsman was expected to retire from the sport following this year’s World Cup but had a change of heart.  The player had also targeted the India home tour as possibly his final appearance for the regional team but insisted following the series that he had not retired.

    Despite the absence of the talismanic player, however, there are several noted returnees.  As expected, having been appointed captain of the ODI and T20 teams Kieron Pollard returns to the white ball team for the first time in three years.  Pollard replaced Holder as captain of the ODI team and Carlos Brathwaite as leader of the T20 team.  While Holder has been included in all three formats, Brathwaite has been dropped from the squad. 

    Fresh off successful campaigns in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) Guyana Amazon Warriors opening batsman Brandon King and Barbados Tridents spinner Hayden Walsh Jr have been included in the T20 and ODI formats.  Lendl Simmons, who also put together a solid campaign for Trinbago Knightriders, has also been included in the T20 squad. 

    Promising young pace bowler Alzarri Josephs, who missed the World Cup due to injury, will also return to the team for all three formats.

     

    Test squad: Jason Holder (Captain), Shai Hope, John Campbell, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shimron Hetmyer, Shamrah Brooks, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Sunil Ambris, Jomel Warrican, Rahkeem Cornwall, Kemar Roach, Keemo Paul, Alzarri Joseph

    ODI squad: Kieron Pollard (Captain), Shai Hope, Evin Lewis, Shimron Hetmyer, Sunil Ambris, Nicholas Pooran, Brandon King, Roston Chase, Jason Holder, Hayden Walsh Jr., Khary Pierre, Sheldon Cottrell, Keemo Paul, Alzarri Joseph, Romario Shepherd.

    T20I squad: Kieron Pollard (Captain), Nicholas Pooran, Evin Lewis, Shimron Hetmyer, Sherfane Rutherford, Brandon King, Fabian Allen, Jason Holder, Hayden Walsh Jr., Lendl Simmons, Khary Pierre, Sheldon Cottrell, Denesh Ramdin, Kesrick Williams, Alzarri Joseph.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.