Roach and Gabriel give Windies the edge in Antigua

By Sports Desk August 22, 2019

Kemar Roach and Shannon Gabriel got West Indies off to a promising start on a rain-affected day one of the Test series against India before Ajinkya Rahane steadied the ship with a half-century at North Sound.

Roach took 3-43 and fellow paceman Gabriel (2-49) also shone in Antigua, where the tourists recovered from 25-3 to 203-6 at stumps on Thursday.

Rahane made a patient 81 at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium to rescue the top-ranked side, who left out spinner Ravichandran Ashwin and batsman Rohit Sharma.

KL Rahul chipped in with 44 on an opening day in which only 68.5 overs were bowled due to the weather, which brought play to a premature end.

India were in trouble on 7-2 after the lively Roach struck twice in the fifth over, snaring Mayank Agarwal and Cheteshwar Pujara caught behind with a hostile display of bowling with the new ball.

Gabriel then claimed the prized scalp of India captain Virat Kohli, who was taken by debutant Shamarh Brooks in the gully for just nine to leave the tourists deeper in the mire.

Rahul and Rahane prevented any further damage from being done before lunch, digging in as the Windies attack continued to probe.

Rahul hung in there following an edgy start and Miguel Cummins was unable to cling on to a difficult chance to see the back of Rahane, who drove with increasing assurance.

Roston Chase (1-42) ended a fourth-wicket stand of 68 by getting Rahul caught behind down the leg side and India were 134-4 when tea was taken early due to rain.

Hanuma Vihari, playing in only his fifth Test, struck five boundaries in his 32 before edging Roach behind and Rahane missed out on a century when he chopped on attempting to punch Gabriel through the off side.

Rishabh Pant was unbeaten on 20 and Ravindra Jadeja dug in for three before stumps were called after the rain returned.

Related items

  • England all-rounder Moeen taking break from Test cricket England all-rounder Moeen taking break from Test cricket

    Moeen Ali has requested a break from Test cricket after being dropped from the England team and losing his all-format central contract.

    The all-rounder had been contracted by England for all formats since 2014-15 but it was confirmed on Friday he had only received a white-ball deal for 2019-20.

    Th news came after Moeen was left out of the squad for the second Ashes Test in August, having taken 3-172 and scored four with the bat across both innings of a humbling opening defeat to Australia.

    It was revealed at the time Moeen would look to spend some time "recharging" before making his county return for Worcestershire.

    But having starred in guiding reigning T20 Blast champions Worcestershire to a second successive Finals Day, he plans to prolong his Test absence.

    "It's just to get away from it a little bit. I feel like I want to enjoy my batting and this will give me a bit of a break," Moeen told ESPNcricinfo.

    "I want to spend some time with the family. I've been playing for England for five years and it's been quite tough.

    "The intensity is obviously higher in Test cricket so this is just to give me a break and then we will see what happens after that.

    "I'm not ruling out playing Test cricket in the future. I've had long chats and thought about it quite a lot. I just want to give myself a bit of time to refresh my batteries and see where it goes after that."

    England captain Joe Root stated in August that the first Ashes Test was "certainly not the last we'll see of [Moeen]".

    Moeen has taken 181 wickets across 60 Tests, but Ashley Giles, the managing director of England men's cricket, has no issue with his period of indefinite leave.

    "For all the guys, not just Moeen, it's been a really challenging summer," Giles said.

    "A World Cup and an Ashes back-to-back has had a massive effect on many of these guys psychologically, as much as physically.

    "Some of those guys are still carrying [these issues] - one of them being Moeen.

    "His experience in the first Test wasn't a great one, but that's cricket. He's has been a great servant for his team. That's why I encouraged him to leave that option open to come back.

    "He might just need to go away and freshen up. But he's been a really good servant for this team and he's still relatively young."

  • Gayle sick of retirement saga -  Windies star vows to ignore question about future Gayle sick of retirement saga - Windies star vows to ignore question about future

    Veteran Windies batsman Chris Gayle has voiced his annoyance regarding constant speculation surrounding his future, particularly as it relates to expected retirement plans.

    Gayle, who turns 40 tomorrow, announced that he planned to retire from the sport following the ICC World Cup a few months ago.  The player, however, seemed to have a change of heart later, insisting that he could play longer.  Following his appearance at the World Cup, Gayle participated in the Windies One Day International series against India.

     At the end of that series, it appeared several players and members of the media thought Gayle’s international career was at an end as he received a standing ovation.  The Windies talisman was, however, quick to announce that he had said nothing about retirement.  With the question continuing to linger, Gayle has made it clear he has grown weary of the speculation.

    “The older you get is the wiser you get and it’s the more you feel a different sort of energy,” Gayle said in an interview posted by Jamaica Tallawahs.

    "You get older you might feel a bit jaded here and there.  I’m turning 40 soon and I’m feeling pretty good.  I am going to rest aside this discussion about retirement,” Gayle added.

    “It’s something I learned a couple of months ago.  When you make an actual statement about retiring while you are still playing it can be a bit complicated and it can get irritating and annoying.  I get annoyed when people say this and that so from now on, I won’t be answering anyone’s questions about retirement.”

     

     

  • Root to retain England captaincy as Archer gets central contract Root to retain England captaincy as Archer gets central contract

    Joe Root will captain England's Test side regardless of their new head coach, Ashley Giles has confirmed.

    Test skipper Root came under pressure in the recent Ashes series as England were held to a 2-2 draw, seeing Australia retain the urn as tourists for the first time since 2001.

    The uncertainty around the coaching position added to speculation regarding the Yorkshireman's future, with Trevor Bayliss leaving his role following the series.

    But Giles, the managing director of England men's cricket, has confirmed Root will continue to lead the side going forward.

    "There have been no questions asked [about Root's future] by me," Giles told Sky Sports News. "I would hope that is the most important thing for now.

    "One of the most important things for Joe is that we now redress that balance between red and white-ball cricket and we have more focus on Test match cricket.

    "And when the new coach arrives, Joe gets a choice to sit down with him and really plan and decide a way forward - with me as well - our DNA around Test cricket going forward.

    "If I were Joe, and we've had these discussions, we need to start planning towards winning the Ashes back in Australia in just over two years."

    England will have one coach across all formats when they replace Bayliss, with Giles adding: "It's an exciting process because it's my first big appointment and we need to get it right."

    The team's central contracts for the 2019-20 season were confirmed on Friday, with Eoin Morgan, England's white-ball captain, also set to continue in his role after winning the Cricket World Cup.

    He has been given a limited-overs contract again, with Jofra Archer awarded an all-format deal.

    The paceman starred in his first international campaign, playing key roles as England won the Cricket World Cup and drew the Ashes.

    Rory Burns has been handed a Test contract following his performances against Australia, although Joe Denly got a white-ball deal.

    Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid, previously contracted across all three formats, received limited-overs agreements, while Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett and David Willey missed out completely.

    Jack Leach and Sam Curran were granted incremental deals.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.