Don’t blame Holder! Windies legend Lloyd insists other players haven’t stepped up

By Sports Desk July 11, 2019
Windies skipper Jason Holder. Windies skipper Jason Holder.

Legendary Windies captain Clive Lloyd has strongly cautioned against any effort to replace Jason Holder as leader of the current regional team.

The 27-year-old Barbadian native has been among those coming in for heavy criticism after a dismal showing from the Windies at the ICC World Cup. 

Holder, who was appointed to the post four years ago, has largely presided over a disappointing period for the team results-wise.  During that time the all-rounder, as captain, has won some 24 out of 83 matches and as the Windies slipped out of the world’s top 8 teams.  The scenario forced the team to qualify for the 2019 World Cup.  Despite the results, however, Lloyd who was a part of a team that appointed Holder does not believe he is entirely to blame.

“It’s not just Jason. The team has let him down. These young players must have more pride in whom they represent, not just blaming a captain who we were raving about two months ago when he led West Indies to a series victory against England,” Lloyd told the Barbados Nation News.

 

Related items

  • Permaul pushes Jaguars closer to win over Red Force Permaul pushes Jaguars closer to win over Red Force

    Veerasammy Permaul claimed another two wickets as defending champions Guyana Jaguars pushed leaders Trinidad and Tobago Red Force to the edge of defeat, heading into the final day of the West Indies Championship fixture at Providence.

    Resuming the day on 53 for 0, the Jaguars, led by a half-century from Chanderpaul Hemraj (54), added another 124 runs before declaring at 177 for 5. Vishaul Singh was unbeaten after adding a patient 37 from 74.

    In pursuit of a mammoth 402 to win, the Red Force were in early trouble when pace bowler Keon Joseph struck twice.  Keagan Simmons was the first to go after being caught by Anthony Bramble off the bowling of Joseph in the second over.  Darren Bravo only managed to put two runs on the board before falling to Joseph in the next two overs.  Opener Jeremy Solozano (34) steadied the ship after forming a partnership with Jason Mohammed (33) as the pair put on 62 for the third wicket.  The partnership was, however, broken when Solozano was dismissed lbw by Kevin Sinclair with Jason Mohammed falling to Permaul soon after. 

    Permaul further rocked the middle order after having Joshua Da Silva (8) caught by Leon Johnson.  The spinner has so far claimed six wickets in the match so far.  Yannic Cariah put 27 runs on the board but was dismissed lbw by Devendra Bishoo.  Yannick Ottley (13) and  Akeal Hosein (5) close the day as the not out batsmen with a further 280 runs needed for safety.

     

  • Smith set to join Gladiators for EPL Smith set to join Gladiators for EPL

    Retired Windies batsman Dwayne Smith is expected to head to Asia for the upcoming Everest Premier League where he will represent the Bhairahawa Gladiators.

    The much-travelled power-hitter will bring plenty of experience to the Napal-based franchise as the tournament head into its fourth edition.

     The 36-year-old Smith, a former Windies batting all-rounder who made 255 appearances for the regional team, has played for over 14 T20 franchises.  He most recently appeared for the Quetta Gladiators in the Pakistan Super League (PSL).  Smith currently averages 26.23 and has played 337 matches.

    The signing of the West Indian veteran proved a source of excitement for Gladiators captain Sharad Vesawkar.

    "I still can’t believe that the powerhouse of West Indies Cricket and IPL for a long time, Dwayne Smith will be playing under me in the upcoming season of EPL,” Vesawkar said.

    “This will do a world of good to the team’s top order and also serve as an exciting opportunity to all the players especially the young ones to observe how the greats go about their game.”

  • CWI must stick to commitment of sharing Windies cricket around region - Grave CWI must stick to commitment of sharing Windies cricket around region - Grave

    Cricket West Indies chief executive Johnny Grave has insisted the board will look to continue its objective of spreading the sport across regional venues.

    Insularity and some amount of bias have often been charges leveled at those who select which grounds will be picked to host international cricket on various West Indies tours.  International grounds in bigger countries have often been given the nod but Graves insists it might not be the case in the future.

    “The highest crowds we experienced in this series was in Grenada.  Grenada didn’t have cricket between 2015 and 2019 and I think it is important we spread cricket around our international grounds,” Graves said.

    “I think we need to do far more as an organization to promote and market to make sure all the cricket fans and even the non-cricket fans know that the West Indies team is coming to their country to play,” he added.

    “I hope everyone understands that policy and we do our best to spread cricket around the region.”

    With the exception of Barbados the West Indies' first tour of the new year, against Ireland, was played in Grenada and St Kitts.  The New Zealand New Zealand tour in July will be hosted in Antigua, Dominica, and Guyana, with Trinidad and Tobago, St Lucia and Jamaica.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.