Axed Courtney Browne-led selection panel mulls legal action against CWI

By Sports Desk April 19, 2019
Former Cricket West Indies (CWI) chief of selectors Courtney Browne. Former Cricket West Indies (CWI) chief of selectors Courtney Browne.

A lawyer for the recently dismissed Courtney Browne-led Cricket West Indies (CWI) selection panel has insisted his clients are strongly considering the initiation of legal proceedings and taken exception to recent statements made by Cricket West Indies (CWI) president Ricky Skerritt.

In dismissing the three-man panel, which also consisted of Lockhart Sebastien and Eldine Baptiste, last week, Skerritt said “we have terminated the old embedded selection policy which secretly, but actively, victimised some players and banished them from selection consideration”.

Tony Astaphan, the lawyer for the dismissed selectors, insisted they had taken issue with both the terminations and their public characterization as a group.  He claimed the selectors were simply following instructions and had always received positive affirmation for the body.

“My clients are very troubled by their dismissal and the manner of their dismissal, particularly the statements made about the 'old embedded selection policy which secretly but actively victimised players and banished them from selection consideration.  That's a serious [charge] and it affects the manner of dismissal of Mr Browne, Mr Baptiste and Mr Sebastien,” Astaphan said in a recent radio interview.

“What we are looking at now within the context of the labour code of Antigua and Barbuda is whether having regard to all the facts and circumstances, including the terms of the agreements signed by these good gentlemen, who as you know have dedicated their lives to West Indies cricket, constitute independent contractors or employees under the Antigua and Barbuda labour code.”

Astaphan pointed out that Browne had also been considered an exceptional employee by the CWI, which led to his contract being renewed on several occasions.

“He has been there since 2010 and you having before every renewal of his contract, gone through what is called an employee job assessment and getting extraordinary marks on matters of ethics and selections, to be thrown out like that with the commentary of a discriminatory selection policy which he did not set,” the Dominican explained.

“I think it is a well-known fact there was a selection criteria either approved by the board or requested by the board, and there was a technical team set up with the specific jurisdictional authority to decide who was eligible or not. They were the ones that made the decision as to who was eligible or not.”

Browne was replaced by Jamaican Robert Haynes, with Jimmy Adams and interim head coach Floyd Reifer also appointed to the panel.

 

 

Related items

  • Will the West Indies have to win the ICC World Cup to be considered a success? Will the West Indies have to win the ICC World Cup to be considered a success?
  • Tough ask for Xavier Marshall to break into powerful Tallawahs XI Tough ask for Xavier Marshall to break into powerful Tallawahs XI

    Xavier Marshall, as a youngster, was one of the most promising batsmen out of Jamaica. The opener had been in and around the West Indies setup, debuting with the bat at just 19 years old.

    But migration to the United States and maybe a life outside of cricket beckoned for the talented batsman, who had some disciplinary issues hamper his progress.

    Then nothing.

    Marshall would turn up again as one of the more prominent players on the United States cricket team, and, in fact, just recently, scored a century to give his side One Day International status.

    Now, Marshall has come full circle, returning to play for the Jamaica-based Tallawahs in the 2019 season of the Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

    Marshall was picked in the 17th and final round of the draft for a team he may struggle to feature in, but the opener, for at least the month of September, is back home.

    The Tallawahs should not be in need of an opener like Marshall with the return of Chadwick Walton from the Guyana Amazon Warriors and Chris Gayle from the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots.

    The two have opened the innings in successful CPL campaigns for the Tallawahs, who are chasing a record fourth title along with the Trinbago Knight Riders, and the Jamaican franchise may be reluctant to change their tried and tested combination.

    There is also Glenn Phillips, Rovman Powell, and the big-hitting Andre Russell in the middle order, who may prove hard to replace as well.

    The Tallawahs seem to have a balanced unit that will be hard to pick an eleven from game to game. While the batting seems settled, the allrounders and bowling department throws up interesting challenges.

    There is George Worker, from New Zealand, who is listed as a batting allrounder. Worker will go up against Shamar Springer for a place in the lower order. Both are very decent bowlers in the T20 version of the game and could demand places.

    But then there is the presence of Zahir Khan, who should also be a certainty.

    The arrival of Christopher Lamont, Ramaal Lewis, Steven Jacobs, Derval Green and Imran Khan means the fight for spots among the bowlers will be interesting to watch.

    Another certainty is the pacey Oshane Thomas, who has impressed since his arrival on the scene in the last Hero CPL, earning for himself a place at this year’s ICC World Cup in England.

    Another allrounder in the mix is Pakistan’s Amad Butt, who plies his trade for Islamabad United in the Pakistan Super League. The allrounder is making his debut in the CPL but it is not known what part he will play with the number of allrounders in the Tallawahs line-up who have serious quality.

  • 'Youngsters coming at my head' - Gayle wary of being target for bowlers at World Cup 'Youngsters coming at my head' - Gayle wary of being target for bowlers at World Cup

    Windies star batsman Chris Gayle is well aware that he will be the target of young upcoming fast bowlers when the ICC World Cup gets under way later this month but has cautioned that he will be ready.

    The 39-year-old batsman, who has long been a standard of attacking cricket, will take part in his swansong for the West Indies at a fifth tournament.  Despite being one of the game’s elder statesmen the self-styled Universe boss devastating attacking capability was on full display against England in March. 

    The veteran batsman was named man of the series after amassing 429 runs in four matches at an average of 106.  Many pundits and fans have tipped Gayle to carry that good form into the tournament but not if the bowlers have a say in the matter and he has slowed down just a bit.

    "Youngsters coming at my head - it's not as easy as it was like one time before," Gayle told cricket.com. "I was quicker then.

    "But they'll be wary. They know what the Universe Boss is capable of. I'm sure they will have it in the back of their mind, 'Hey, this is the most dangerous batsman they've ever seen in cricket,” he added.

    Two-time champions West Indies begin their campaign against 1992 winners Pakistan on May 31 at Trent Bridge.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.