'We have to believe' - Windies star batsman Bravo insists team must have faith to make World Cup run

By Sports Desk April 19, 2019

Windies top order batsman Darren Bravo insists self-belief will be key to the team’s chances of success if they are to mount a strong challenge at next month’s ICC World Cup. 

The 30-year-old Bravo was part of a Windies squad that recently went toe to toe with a top-ranked England team, earning a highly credible 2-2 draw.  The batsman, who only recently returned to the team, has admitted the experience has been a major confidence booster for the unit.

“We are capable of winning the World Cup, but the team must concentrate on the plans we have made as a unit which will be the most important thing,” Bravo told Barbados Today. “We are not going to focus very much on the opposition. We have certain plans and roles we have to execute. Once we get them right I believe the results will take care of themselves. No one gave us a chance against England and we went out there and proved that we can beat the best team in the world. We just got to continue to believe in ourselves and anything is possible,” he added.

The talented batsman only recently returned to the squad after an extended absence, following a feud with former CWI boss Dave Cameron.  The player insists his loyalties have always been to represent the West Indies and is happy to be back in the fold.

“As a kid growing up my dream was always to play 100 Test matches for the West Indies and that is still my ultimate goal. I guess I have some work to put in to achieve my dream. I will be doing whatever I have to do whenever I am given the opportunity to play for the West Indies. I have to try to be as consistent as possible. I want to cement my role in the team and try to win matches for the West Indies.”

Related items

  • Scorpions spinner Jamie Merchant reported for suspect bowling action Scorpions spinner Jamie Merchant reported for suspect bowling action

    Jamaica Scorpions off-spinner Jamie Merchant has been reported for a suspect bowling action during his side’s game against Canada last Saturday in the Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup.

  • Kohli: Conditions had to be right for India to take up a day-night Test Kohli: Conditions had to be right for India to take up a day-night Test

    Virat Kohli has insisted India were correct to hold off on playing a day-night Test until they were confident the conditions were right.

    India turned down the opportunity to play a day-night match against Australia in Adelaide in 2018.

    However, the world's leading Test side will play across the afternoon and evening for the first time when they take on Bangladesh in Kolkata on Friday.

    It is the second match of a two-game series, with India having cruised to victory by an innings and 130 runs in the opening Test.

    Captain Kohli had been reluctant to test the waters for a day-night Test, but believes India have made the correct decision in biding their time to play in the altered format.

    "Obviously we wanted to get a feel of pink-ball cricket. Eventually, it had to happen," Kohli, whose side are facing a Bangladesh team that has lost its last four Tests, told a news conference.

    "But, you can't bring up those things before a big tour that you're going to and suddenly in the schedule, there's a pink-ball Test, when we haven't even practiced with the pink ball – we haven't played any first-class games with pink ball.

    "The thing was to experience the pink-ball Test in our own conditions first, so you get the hang of how the ball behaves, what is the way to sight the ball and so on.

    "Then, eventually, going and playing with the pink ball anywhere in the world. So it can't be a sudden thing. 

    "It needed a bit of preparation. Once you get a hang of it, once you're used to playing it, there's no problem in playing at all."

    Kohli, though, does not feel day-night matches will become the norm in Test cricket.

    "I don't think [it will be] in five-six years," he said.

    "In my opinion, this should not become the only way Test cricket is played because then you're losing that nervousness in the first session in the morning.

    "Yes, you can bring excitement into Test cricket but you can't purely make Test cricket based on just entertaining people."

  • Hazlewood cites 'huge' Babar wicket as key for Australia Hazlewood cites 'huge' Babar wicket as key for Australia

    Josh Hazlewood hopes his dismissal of Babar Azam can set the tone for the series after Australia dismissed Pakistan for 240 on day one of the first Test.

    Babar is a man in form but survived just four deliveries before falling victim to a full and wide one from Hazlewood, edging into the hands of Joe Burns at first slip.

    It was an ill-judged shot that limited Babar's first-innings contribution at the Gabba to just one run, and Hazlewood wants to restrict his input across both matches.

    "It's huge to try to stay on top of him, for sure," Hazlewood said, having helped to check Pakistan's progress after they reached 75 without loss in Brisbane.  

    "He's probably coming off T20 cricket as well and we know he's a stroke-maker and he certainly likes to put the pressure back on you as a bowler. 

    "I feel if you can get him early, you can get a rash shot like that sometimes.

    "If he drives for four, he's sort of away as well in his game. So it can go both ways there, but we were lucky enough to get the nick and hopefully stay on top of him for the series."

    Hazlewood claimed figures of 2-46, while Mitchell Starc starred with the ball as he took 4-52.

    Among Starc's scalps was Naseem Shah, Pakistan's 16-year-old debutant who had earlier dug in to deny the bowler a hat-trick.

    Naseem, far more at home with the ball in hand, will now hope to stifle the hosts' reply on Friday. 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.