Pollard hopeful of Windies recall after recent changes

By Sports Desk April 11, 2019
Windies all-rounder Kieron Pollard. Windies all-rounder Kieron Pollard.

Windies all-rounder Kieron Pollard has admitted he is hopeful of a recall to the regional team, following the recent change of regime and appointment of a fresh panel of selectors.

Newly appointed Cricket West Indies (CWI) president Ricky Skerritt announced several changes to the administration on Thursday.  Robert Haynes was named to replace Courtney Browne as chairman of selectors, with Floyd Reifer replacing Richard Pybus as interim Windies coach to name a few.  In addition, the entire panel of selectors has been dismissed.

Pybus, who led the team to a surprise win over England in the Test series and a 2-2 draw in the One Day Internationals (ODI), was expected to take the team to the World Cup.  The 31-year-old Pollard, who was previously called to the Windies squad ahead of the ICC World Cup qualifiers, was not expected to factor in the occasion. 

The Trinidadian had made himself unavailable prior to the World Cup qualifiers, after taking issue with just being given four days to respond and prior commitments to take part in the Pakistan Super League (PSL).  The player, however, continued to express an interest in continuing to represent the team and hopes the latest changes will give him another chance.

 “There has been a lot of turmoil in West Indies cricket over the last couple of years. I was blacklisted. We have seen in the last couple of weeks there’s a change. The most I can do every time I step on the cricket field is try to put runs on the board,” he said in reference to the appointment of Skerritt as CWI president.

“We have a new chairman of selectors, there’s a new president of the cricket board, and as I said you take it as it comes. There’s people there who have the job to select and whatever and let’s see how that goes. I’m 31 years old, I have cricket left in me. Gayle is still playing, he’s 39, and he’s whacking it all around.”

Pollard recently showed plenty of quality in the IPL, smashing an astounding 83 off just 31 balls for Mumbai Indians, which upstaged Gayle’s Kings XI Punjab earlier this week. 

Related items

  • Bravo leaving Knight Riders for Tridents Bravo leaving Knight Riders for Tridents

    Veteran Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo will leave the Trinbago Knight Riders for the Barbados Tridents ahead of the 2019 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

    According to reports, the 35-year-old former franchise captain will leave the club after five seasons to become the top pick for the Tridents in the CPL draft on Wednesday.  The Barbadian franchise is accepted to sign the T&T-born player for US$160,000.

    Bravo, who won three titles in the CPL titles in the red gear of T&T, made the announcement via social media on Tuesday.  Two weeks ago it was announced that Kieron Pollard, who spent several years with the Barbados Tridents, before moving to St Kitts and Nevis Patriots last year.  The Tridents are now owned by the USA-based CMG Companies (CMG) leads a team of local and international investors in the acquisition of the cricket franchise in Barbados. 

    The Trinbago Knight Riders captured the team’s third title last year, while the Tridents had their worse ever showing finishing bottom of the table, having won two and lost eight of their 10 games played.

  • Winning the World Cup is Gayle's only objective Winning the World Cup is Gayle's only objective

    West Indies vice-captain Chris Gayle said his only focus is trying to win the World Cup, as he has nothing to prove.

  • Sri Lanka end ODI winless streak in Edinburgh Sri Lanka end ODI winless streak in Edinburgh

    Sri Lanka recorded a timely one-day international victory ahead of the Cricket World Cup as they beat Scotland in a rain-affected contest to end a seven-month winless run in the format.

    Since beating England in a dead rubber in Colombo last October, Sri Lanka had suffered 3-0 and 5-0 whitewashes to New Zealand and South Africa respectively before arriving in Scotland for a two-match series, with the first game abandoned last weekend.

    The weather played a part again at the Grange on Tuesday, but the Sri Lankans were still able to record a morale-boosting 35-run victory on the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method.

    Their top three - Avishka Fernando (74), captain Dimuth Karunaratne (77) and Kusal Mendis (66) - were all able to record half-centuries as they made 322-8 before Scotland were bowled out for 199 chasing a revised target of 235, seamer Nuwan Pradeep taking 4-34.

    Fernando, who made his maiden ODI half-century, and Karunaratne, who made his second - eight years after his first against the same opponent - put on 123 for the first wicket, though Sri Lanka's skipper survived three chances before reaching the milestone.

    The tourists were 204-2 in the 34th over when Karunaratne was finally dismissed and despite Mendis' fine contribution and Lahiru Thirimanne's 44 not out, a flurry of middle-order wickets prevented the final total from being greater.

    Scotland's reply was punctuated by the elements, though both Matthew Cross (55) and George Munsey (61) made half-centuries, and they lost their last seven wickets for just 46 runs having been forced off for 90 minutes due to rain.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.