Phil Simmons could make return to Windies helm

By April 04, 2019

Former West Indies coach, Phil Simmons, may be back at the helm of the team he was unceremoniously dropped from if what he says is anything to go by. 

Simmons, in explaining the nature of a conversation with new Cricket West Indies (CWI) President, Ricky Skerritt, made it clear he would have no issue playing a part in the management of Windies Cricket.

All that was said is that they hope this hasn’t tarnished my desire to help West Indies cricket and at the end of the day it hasn’t,” said Simmons in an interview with 195 FM in Trinidad and Tobago recently.

Simmons was speaking about the way he exited the position as coach under the then Dave Cameron-led CWI.

The former all-rounder and one-time opener for the regional side, had been suspended in 2016 for public statements about outside interference influencing the make-up of the team, and was later sacked prematurely.

The Simmons saga ended recently with the coach settling with CWI for a figure upward of US$300,000.

Cameron was replaced as CWI president just days before the settlement and Simmons may now be thinking that the election results pave a way back to the head coach of

“Sunday (AGM and election result) from my perspective is the best thing to happen to West Indies cricket since the 1979 World Cup. They’ve opened the door and I’ll see where it takes us,” said Simmons.

While the statements suggest, Simmons would still like to be a part of the Windies setup, it won’t happen just yet.

Simmons will remain coach of Afghanistan until at least the ICC World Cup scheduled for England later this year.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • How Trevor Bayliss kept England focused for World Cup finals How Trevor Bayliss kept England focused for World Cup finals
  • Australia paper loses appeal against Gayle - must pay Windies star $200k Australia paper loses appeal against Gayle - must pay Windies star $200k

    An Australia court has thrown out an appeal by media group Fairfax, which would have annulled damages owed to Windies star Chris Gayle who won a defamation suit against the entity last year.

    Gayle took the publishers to court after allegations that he exposed himself to a female masseuse during the 2015 World Cup came out in several of its publications.  More specifically, it was alleged that the batsman exposed his penis and indecently propositioned the woman in a dressing room during the tournament.

    The jury sided with the player, who strongly denied the allegations, in finding that the publishers acted with malice and accorded the cricketer damages amounting to US$211,000.  In its appeal, however, Fairfax argued that the jury should have been discharged after Gayle’s attorney attacked the credibility of the masseuse.  In response, the player’s legal team had appealed to increase the size of the payout to the West Indian star. Both appeals were dismissed.

     Fairfax newspapers are now owned by commercial broadcaster Nine Entertainment, which purchased the media company last year.

  • Shastri future uncertain as BCCI invites applications for India coaching roles Shastri future uncertain as BCCI invites applications for India coaching roles

    Ravi Shastri's future as India's head coach is uncertain after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) invited applications for his role and a host of other positions within its coaching and support staff.

    Interested applicants have until July 30 to apply for the roles of head coach, batting coach, bowling coach, fielding coach, physiotherapist, strength and conditioning coach and administrative manager.

    The contracts of the existing coaching staff, led by Shastri, initially expired following the Cricket World Cup, which India exited at the semi-final stage courtesy of a surprise defeat to eventual runners-up New Zealand.

    However, Shastri, batting coach Sanjay Bangar, bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach R Sridhar were handed extensions to cover India's tour of the West Indies in August.

    In a statement, the BCCI confirmed "the current coaching staff of Team India (senior men) will get an automatic entry in the recruitment process".

    The BCCI also revealed its eligibility criteria for those hoping to serve as head coach, a role the 57-year-old Shastri has held since 2017 after previously leading India as team director.

    To stand a chance of being appointed, applicants must be under 60 years of age and boast at least two years of experience as head coach of a Test-playing nation or three years of experience at either Associate member, Indian Premier League, first-class or an equivalent level.

    They should also have played in a minimum of 30 Test matches or 50 ODIs and hold a BCCI Level 3 certification or its equivalent.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.