Keemo Paul weighs in on Ashwin Mankad, wouldn’t do it again

By March 30, 2019
Keemo Paul Keemo Paul

While Windies all-rounder Keemo Paul believes there is nothing wrong with a mankad, even after it was completed by Ravichandran Ashwin in the Indian Premier League recently, it is something he probably would never do again. 

Paul, on the way to helping the Windies under-19 team to a famous World Cup title in 2016, ran Zimbabwe’s Richard Ngarava out in the last over of a game that sent the Windies through to the knockout stages.

The response to the game-changing wicket was not pleasant for the then 17-year-old.

Big-name players laid into him for the decision, James Anderson, Eoin Morgan, and Stephen Flemming calling the Mankad, ‘disgraceful’.

Paul has transitioned into being a very handy all-rounder, for whom the Windies believe the future is bright, but while the Mankad was within the rules and he felt he was right in completing it, in an interview with ESPNCricinfo, the Delhi Capitals IPL player, said you shouldn’t look for it again.

“”At first, it was definitely tough,” Paul had said.

“I just locked myself away. I saw it on BBC. I read a lot of comments on social media. I took it hard. I cried a lot. And wondered if I did the right thing but my coaching staff and everyone else supported me very well,” he said.

Paul said the comments, especially from established cricketers, crushed him.

"After I did it, after seeing all the comments, I was definitely devastated you know," Paul said. "But after the coaches supported me a lot, especially Corey Collymore, he came to me and said don't worry it is in the rules and you don't have to worry. That's when I started to gain confidence again. After reading all the comments and stuff, I just wanted to lock myself away and forget about it."

Interestingly, Paul would play against Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe as the Windies attempted to qualifier for the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup, and faced a hostile crowd because of it.

Now fully recovered from the devastation, the medium pacer said the hostility motivated him to do well.

“Definitely I believed what I did was right. I was only 17, I came down hard on myself, kept wondering if I did the right thing. That was just instinct. Now I have matured more and I don't think I will probably do it again," he said.

Ashwin ran out Jos Buttler in the IPL earlier this week, but had made no secret of the fact that he had no problem in doing so, since batsmen routinely get an unfair advantage in stealing quick singles by being down the track when the bowler runs up.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Cummins replaces Paul in West Indies squad for India Test Cummins replaces Paul in West Indies squad for India Test

    West Indies will be without all-rounder Keemo Paul for the first Test against India, with Miguel Cummins called up as his replacement.

    Paul has been ruled out with an injury to his left ankle and the 21-year-old will remain in Antigua to continue his rehabilitation.

    Experienced Cummins, who made his Test debut in a series against India three years ago, taking a career-best 6-48 in the second innings of the second match, features in the 13-man squad in Paul's absence.

    "With Keemo ruled out for this match, it’s good to have someone with Miguel's quality back in the squad, as he brings experience to the team," Windies interim head coach Floyd Reifer said.

    "Watching him in the last A Team series against India A and the training sessions his lengths have improved. He's a very hard worker and a wicket-taker. I'm sure, if given the opportunity to play, he will make a valuable contribution in our bid to win this series."

    The Windies have not won a Test series against India since 2002 and are winless in the past 21 Tests between the teams.

    India head into the two-match series, which begins on Thursday, having won three Twenty20s and two ODIs throughout their tour so far.

  • Miguel Cummins to replace injured Keemo Paul for first Test Miguel Cummins to replace injured Keemo Paul for first Test

    Fast bowler Miguel Cummins will replace an injured Keemo Paul in the West Indies squad selected for the first Test against India in Antigua from August 22-26.

  • Ashes 2019: Paine expecting 'same old' Smith when batsman returns Ashes 2019: Paine expecting 'same old' Smith when batsman returns

    Tim Paine is not expecting any change in Steve Smith's attitude or application once Australia's talisman returns to action.

    Smith will miss the third Ashes Test at Headingley having suffered a delayed concussion after taking a blow to the neck from a fierce Jofra Archer delivery on Saturday.

    The 30-year-old, who will be replaced in Leeds by Marnus Labuschagne, has been the form player during the series, hitting 144 and 142 in Australia's win at Edgbaston before tallying 92 at Lord's - coming back out to bat after initially retiring hurt.

    Smith hopes to be back in time for the fourth Test, with Paine holding no concerns over the former captain's ability to come back strongly following the setback.

    "He's been in really good form, he's been playing really well, so he's disappointed not to be playing," Paine told a news conference.

    "He along with the rest of our group understand why he isn't [playing]. Steve loves batting, I don't think that’s going to change.

    "Steve's the best player in the world, he will come back in the next Test, if it's the next Test or the tour game [against Derbyshire, which starts on August 29], and we're expecting him to be the same old Steve Smith.

    "He's a high-quality player and he'll adapt as he always has."

    While Labuschagne's place in the side has been confirmed for the third Test, Paine opted not to give any details to the media over the rest of the XI on the eve of the match.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.