Dr. Shallow's comments shocking, says CWI vice president Nanthan

By March 13, 2019

 

CWI Vice President Emmanuel Nanthan has lashed out at his critics for what he believes are unfair criticisms of his leadership of the Dominica Cricket Association and Cricket West Indies.

The leadership of Nathan and CWI President Dave Cameron is being challenged by Ricky Skerritt and Dr Kishore Shallow in elections due on March 24 in Jamaica. The associations in the Leeward Islands and Trinidad and Tobago are backing the challengers.

In a recent interview, Dr. Shallow attacked the CWI vice president who is seen as being vulnerable, a weak point for the Cameron presidency.

“Mr Nanthan has had an extended tenure as president of the WICBC, not due to any sterling representation or performance but due to the reluctance of other senior members to challenge the status quo,” Dr Shallow said in a recent interview.

“As a result, the latter period of his tenure has been plagued with inefficiency and ineptitude. This is a typical example where term limits can help a well-intended individual from damaging his reputation by trudging along after they have clearly ran out of zeal and ideas.”

Nanthan responded in a statement released on Wednesday.

“I find it sad and somewhat disheartened that fellow board members would speak of their colleagues in disparaging ways.  For the record, my service in cricket administration was always as a  from others and not because I thought myself great in any way.  I still do not see myself great, but I think am a great servant of the game of cricket,” Nanthan said.

“I saw Dr. Shallow’s comments on me that were, frankly, shocking.  The young man does not know that when I was handed the reins of Dominica Cricket, the association had no office, had $1500 EC in the bank and had debts of $53,000 EC.

“When I handed over last year, the association had its own office, 11 staff including seven coaches and a groundsman and two of these coaches were at Level 3.  The association had its own cricket academy and assets worth over $1.3 million.”

Nanthan said he stepped down from the leadership of the Dominica Cricket Association at the request from the Prime Minister of Dominica, the Honourable Roosevelt Skerritt, whom, he said, Minister of Dominica, asked him to help in the rebuilding of the country following the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria.

Nathan also defended his tenure as CWI vice president.

 “We have spearheaded the drive to ensure that over 120 players around the region, both male and female, now have the stability of income and are paid monthly by CWI,” he said.

“They are provided with coaches and trainers who supervise them and enforce mandatory fitness standards.  That is the main reason behind our resurgence as a great cricket nation!

He continued: “To pay for these expenses, we (The CWI Board, inclusive of Shallow and Skerritt) signed agreements with two countries where we gained television rights from - India and England.  Yours truly was the one who concluded and signed with India in Singapore some six years ago.”

 Going on the offensive, Nathan said he found it ironic that Skerritt and Dr. Shallow, are now challenging for the presidency.

“It is worth noting that both gentlemen who are challenging have been directors on the board for years, with Skerritt having served much longer than Dr. Shallow.  Within that time, I have never seen or witnessed either one of them bring an idea to the board for change,” Nathan said.

“In fact, to the contrary, their voting record would show that they have supported President Cameron and the Board’s motions at meetings 98 per cent of the time.  In the case of Mr. Skerritt, Mr. Ricky Skerritt was first appointed by CARICOM as their Director / Representative to CWI.

“Whilst CARICOM wished to have the Board dissolved and to change the structure of CWI, it was Mr. Skerritt, their representative, who supported President Cameron and the Board. Mr. Skerritt was then fired by CARICOM and it was under President Cameron that this Board appointed Mr. Skerritt as an independent Director. “

He also called for regional unity as CWI looked forward to a brighter future for regional cricket.

 “CWI is not run by one man,” he said.

“It is run by a dynamic group of passionate people whose only wish is to revive cricket in the West Indies and make us champions on the field again.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Ashes 2019: Root urges England to 'jump on' third Test chance with Smith out Ashes 2019: Root urges England to 'jump on' third Test chance with Smith out

    Captain Joe Root says England must "jump on" the opportunity created by Steve Smith's absence for Australia in the third Ashes Test.

    Smith was inspirational in securing a 1-0 lead for Australia after two matches, but he will be missing from the third fixture at Headingley due to a concussion after taking a Jofra Archer bouncer to the neck last time out at Lord's.

    Archer was instrumental in England coming back into the series in the match, although the hosts ultimately settled for a draw.

    Root wants to see Archer impress again as he compared Smith's absence to when England's all-time leading Test wicket-taker James Anderson hobbled out of the series opener.

    "When you're playing someone of his quality, you're looking for a number of different ways to get him out," Root said of Archer's approach to trying to dismiss Smith.

    "I felt the way that Jofra bowled in that spell made for great cricket. It's great to be on the field to be a part of that. We felt like we were creating chances all the time.

    "But you never want to see someone go off injured like that, you never want to see someone be walked off the field and for him to miss this game.

    "There was a lot of concern in our dressing room for his health. It's great to see that he's actually up and about and he's fine and looks as though he's happy within himself.

    "It's very unfortunate on their part. We had the challenge of Jimmy [Anderson] going down four overs into a Test match and had to manage that without a replacement.

    "You get these swings within a big series like this, every now and again, and when you get your opportunity, you've got to jump on it.

    "They'll be huge shoes to fill for whoever comes in for him in Australia's batting line-up and we've got to make sure that we keep trying to exploit these techniques on these wickets."

    Asked if Australia, led by Pat Cummins, might match Archer's aggressive assault on batsmen, Root replied: "We'll see. Those are things you have to manage within the game.

    "I feel like the guys know what type of bowling [Cummins] is capable of doing. We've seen him do that before in Test cricket. It's just about managing the situation when you face it.

    "If he does go to that and the conditions suit pitching it up and swinging it, and it plays into our favour, we'll have to wait and see."

    England have had their own concussion issue to deal with this week, with Jason Roy set for a final assessment on Thursday after passing an initial examination.

    Ollie Pope has been called in as cover and would likely come in at number four, with Joe Denly moving up to replace opener Roy.

    Root would not confirm the England XI regardless of Roy's fitness, as Sam Curran remains in contention after again being included in a 12-man squad.

  • Ashes 2019: Australia must fill Smith void as a team, says Paine Ashes 2019: Australia must fill Smith void as a team, says Paine

    Tim Paine wants Australia to fill the void left by Steve Smith as a team when they attempt to take an unassailable lead in the Ashes.

    Australia can move 2-0 ahead and retain the urn with victory in the third Test at Headingley, which starts on Thursday.

    However, they will have to do without talisman Smith, whose sensational series has been halted at least temporarily by a concussion he suffered when he was struck by a Jofra Archer delivery in the drawn second Test at Lord's.

    Smith scored centuries in both innings in Australia's win at Edgbaston and made 92 at Lord's before being trapped lbw by Chris Woakes after returning following his head injury assessment.

    He did not bat in the second innings and Marnus Labuschagne excelled as his concussion replacement, his 59 helping Australia save the match.

    The first ball Labuschagne faced saw him struck by Archer, but he was composed thereafter and will take Smith's place after the former captain was ruled out.

    Paine, though, does not want the burden of replacing Smith to be entirely on his shoulders.

    "He's strange," Paine said of Labuschagne at a media conference. "He seems to enjoy getting hit on the head.

    "We do it [replace Smith] as a team. Clearly, they're huge shoes to fill. We want our senior players to make sure we give that little bit more output, cover Steve the best we can."

    Asked about Smith's reaction to his enforced absence, Paine replied: "He's disappointed obviously, but he along with the rest of the group understand why he isn't [playing].

    "There's a strong medical process in place, Steve has to tick a lot of boxes [to make sure he's ready to play in the fourth Test]."

    Much of the build-up to the match has focused on how Australia are to handle Archer, whose superb second-innings spell saw him take 3-32 in one of the most exciting Test cricket debuts of recent memory.

    Paine insists Australia are prepared for more of the same at Headingley, adding: "We copped some short pitch bowling, guys have got plans in place and we've prepared really well for it, it's now about going out and executing.

    "When someone is bowling fast and the crowd's up and about it's exciting. It's great for Test match cricket, the interest it's sparked in the last week, 10 days is great for the game. We're looking forward to the challenge again this week."

    The skipper also indicated Australia will alter their attack, with the pitch not expected to provide as much help for the seamers. 

    "We're obviously looking at maybe a bowling change," said Paine. "Whatever line-up we pick we expect the guys will be able to handle it [the pitch] or adapt to it quickly."

  • Ashes 2019: Paine backs Warner to excel without Smith in third Test Ashes 2019: Paine backs Warner to excel without Smith in third Test

    Tim Paine expects to see "the very best David Warner" in the third Ashes Test, believing the opener will thrive with the responsibility that comes with Steve Smith's absence.

    Australia star Warner has endured a dismal series so far in England as he returns to Test cricket following a 12-month ban for his role in the team's ball-tampering scandal.

    The 32-year-old has made just two, eight, three and five in his four Ashes innings as Smith, who was also suspended for a year, has done the heavy lifting to give the tourists a 1-0 series lead.

    But Smith will be missing at Headingley this week due to the concussion suffered when he took a Jofra Archer bouncer to the neck in the second match at Lord's.

    Warner, a senior figure, is among those under pressure to step up, and captain Paine foresees him doing exactly that.

    "I'm very confident [Warner will return to form]," Paine said. "I've spoken a lot about the fact he averages close to 50 in Test cricket [46.9] and he's done that over a long period of time.

    "I think with Steve missing this game, it might be the little poke and prod that Davey needs. He likes that responsibility.

    "And my experience with Davey is that, when people doubt him and his back is against the wall, he comes out swinging. I'm expecting the very best David Warner this week."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.