Holder taking positives from England tour of Windies

By Sports Desk March 12, 2019
Windies captain Jason Holder. Windies captain Jason Holder.

Windies captain Jason Holder has insisted the team will take the positives from the recent tour of England, despite ending on a low note in a one-sided T20I series.

The regional team created unwanted history in the final match against the tourists after becoming the first team to be bowled out for less than 75 in successive Twenty20 Internationals.  It was an indicator of how the T20 series had gone overall, with an easy 3-0 win for England but not of the tour overall.

The Windies shocked a more fancied England with several dominant performances to win the Test series 2-1 and then put in another strong showing to draw the series 2-2.

 “We’re a bit disappointed but there are still a lot of positives,” Holder said.

“I definitely would have accepted these results when England started their tour. Winning the Test series was exceptional and parts of the ODI series were equally as good,” he added.

“We probably let ourselves down in other parts of the ODI series but England played some great cricket as well. And we were just outplayed in the T20 series. But we’ve seen Sheldon Cottrell come into the side and do well and Oshane Thomas, too. And Chris Gayle has been outstanding. So overall, I’m pretty pleased.”

Related items

  • Rashford hails England's 'frightening' attacking arsenal Rashford hails England's 'frightening' attacking arsenal

    Marcus Rashford believes England's "frightening" attacking talent can power the World Cup semi-finalists to a successful Euro 2020.

    Gareth Southgate's side cruised through qualifying for next year's tournament, winning seven of eight matches and scoring 37 times.

    Only once before – in 1908 – have England struck more goals in competitive matches in a calendar year than the 38 scored in 2019.

    Question marks remain over certain positions in the starting XI but in Rashford, Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling there looks to be a defined and dangerous attacking trio.

    "I think it is a good combination," said Manchester United forward Rashford.

    "But we have played games without that particular front three and it is frightening what we can do as a group of attackers.

    "I think all of these games are just gearing you up for the summer and if we go into the summer anywhere near the sort of form we have been in recently then it will be a successful tournament."

    Rashford was among the scorers as England signed off from qualifying with a 4-0 win over Kosovo on Sunday.

    Jadon Sancho, Tammy Abraham and Callum Hudson-Odoi, who started in Pristina, are among those pressing for spots, while Jamie Vardy could add another element to the squad if the in-form Leicester City striker reverses his international retirement.

    Rashford said: "I have been in two tournaments now and the squad is so important.

    "With the qualities that every individual has in this team, it is something we have to use to our advantage. People are going to be playing at different moments but when you are on the pitch you have to do your best and try to come up with the goods.

    "It is good competition. We really do have that kind of environment when we are in the camp together and it is positive."

  • Southgate has no plans to quit England role ahead of 2022 World Cup Southgate has no plans to quit England role ahead of 2022 World Cup

    Gareth Southgate plans to stay on as England manager for the 2022 World Cup if he feels there is "warmth" for him to continue, though he acknowledged that could depend on his side's performance at Euro 2020.

    England secured their place at next year's finals with a 7-0 rout of Montenegro last week, before rounding off their qualification campaign in style by beating Kosovo 4-0.

    After reaching the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup, the last four of the UEFA Nations League and qualifying for Euro 2020 comfortably at the top of Group A, Southgate conceded his side will now be singled out as one of the teams to beat in the tournament.

    And the former Middlesbrough manager is aware how his position could change should England fail to impress next year.

    "When you have a week like I've had, you sense that people can fall out of love with you and if there isn't a warmth for you to continue, then that can start to affect the team," Southgate, who dropped Raheem Sterling from his squad for the clash with Montenegro after the Manchester City forward's tussle with team-mate Joe Gomez, told reporters.

    "So, I'm realistic about how quickly those tides can turn. For me, it's about what's next and I know in the end we'll always be judged ultimately by the tournaments.

    "We've got to accept that [England are one of the favourites]. We should go in feeling confident about ourselves and, equally, we know there are areas of the game we've got to get better at. But I think all the top teams will feel the same.

    "The players have the belief and we've got to keep giving them that belief, but we don't tell them lies, we are pretty honest with our appraisals of their performances and the sorts of matches they're going in to."

    Southgate, however, will still be planning, even if he is uncertain as to whether he will lead England at the Qatar World Cup.

    "I think when I started and we looked at other federations, we were almost embarrassed to go and look at where we should be preparing for," Southgate explained.

    "And Germany were always there and they'd already secured the best hotel. So, I think we've had to be a bit bolder and say, 'no, look, it's not a jinx to go and do it'. We've got to have belief in what we're doing and execute the right preparation.

    "Without taking any focus off what we're doing next summer we've got to get the next bit right, otherwise we'll be behind the curve. I think the best organisations get that short-, mid- and long-term planning right."

  • Former Aussie captain believes in Pooran talent despite ‘slip up’ Former Aussie captain believes in Pooran talent despite ‘slip up’

    A Nicholas Pooran-less West Indies did not have the power to deal with Afghanistan over the course of a three-match T20I series, the wicketkeeper/batsman missing out while he serves a four-match ban over ball tampering.

    Steve Smith, who had been banned for a year for the part he played in a ball-tampering scandal, lost his captaincy of Australia, and is only months back with the side.

    Pooran was only banned for four games but Smith doesn’t feel the talented middle-order batsman should be punished anymore harshly.

    "Everyone is different, every board is different, and the way they deal with certain issues. For me, I copped it on the chin... it is what it is,” he said.

    Smith expects a better Pooran to come out of the embarrassment of being caught cheating.

    “I know Nicholas, I've played a bit of cricket with him and he's a talented player and someone with a bright future," Smith said.

    "I think he'll learn from his mistake and move past it,” he said.

    I played with him in the Caribbean league at Barbados. I think he's going to be an exceptional player in white-ball cricket."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.