‘We followed the rules’ – BCA president Riley casts doubts on calls for extraordinary general meeting

By March 06, 2019
Barbados Cricket Association president Conde Riley. Barbados Cricket Association president Conde Riley.

Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) president Conde Riley has insisted the organization followed the rules in coming to its decision to support incumbent Cricket West Indies (CWI) president Dave Cameron.

The organization’s stance has come under fire in recent weeks, with a contingent led by former BCA board member Hartley Reid starting a petition to review the board’s position.

In stating his objections to the board’s decision to support Cameron, Riley has pointed to concerns regarding a lack of democracy and fairness.  Riley has, however, insisted that the board came to its decision via a vote and welcomed any challenge that showed a violation of the organization’s policies.

 

“The process that we followed is set out in our rules.  The board met and the board made a decision, there were no other nominations.  We have no problem with listening to Mrs Skerritt and Shallow.  We made the decision as a board, not Conde Riley,” Riley said in an interview with the SportsMax Zone.

“The rules permit us to so do.  We put it to a vote.  We know how many people supported it, nobody was against it and we know the abstentions,” he added.

“If one of our membership decides that he is aggrieved and he can show where the BCA did not follow the letter of the law, in terms of our rules, then he can get the petition it’s not a problem it’s a democratic process.”

Cameron and challenger Ricky Skerritt, a former Windies cricket team manager, will square off for the leadership of CWI later this month.  Barbados, Guyana and the Windward Island have announced support for Cameron, while Trinidad and Tobago and the Leeward Islands seem to be in line to support Skerritt.  Jamaica has indicated that they are yet to decide on the issue. 

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Leaving Samuels a big mistake by Windies selectors insists Bravo Leaving Samuels a big mistake by Windies selectors insists Bravo

    Veteran Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has voiced support for discarded batsman Marlon Samuels, insisting leaving the experienced player out of the ICC World Cup squad was a mistake.

    There was no space for the 38-year-old batsman when the final squad was announced last month, which could spell out the end of the player’s tenure with the regional team.

    Samuels has been sidelined with a recurring knee injury since representing the regional team against Bangladesh last year.

      Some had, however, argued that the batsman should have been included based on his experience as a proven match winner and his willingness to appear for the team at the ICC World Cup qualifiers, an invitation that was declined by some players currently in the squad.

    “Marlon Samuels is a surprise. I think Marlon Samuels was there with the team throughout the playoffs (World Cup qualifiers) and in the series after the team had qualified, so him being left out was a surprise to me,” Bravo said in a recent radio interview.

    “They should have picked him. Marlon should have been in the squad. Being there throughout the playoffs, being an experienced guy in the middle – he should be there,” he added.

    “Whether or not they start him [in the final XI] but I think he has done enough to be in the 15-man squad to go to England. It would have been his last World Cup.”

    Samuels, who has insisted he is fit enough to play in the tournament, was not included in the 10-man reserve list announced last week either.

    “I don’t know what was the thinking of the selectors. Obviously with guys like (Shimron) Hetmyer and Shai Hope in the side. Maybe he (Samuels) is not fit, I don’t know. Maybe something is wrong with him, who knows.”

     

  • Taylor, Fletcher take top billing as Windies Women dominate Ireland Taylor, Fletcher take top billing as Windies Women dominate Ireland

    Windies Women’s team captain Stafanie Taylor’s blistering half-century was backed up by a four-for from spinner Afy Fletcher as the team registered a 64-run win over Ireland, in the first match of the three-match T20I series in Dublin on Sunday.

    The Windies were off to a slow start after Hayley Matthews was dismissed for 3 runs in the fourth over.  After joining Britney Cooper at the crease, Taylor went straight to work as she cracked her 75 off just 53 balls.  The innings included 11 fours and one six. 

    Taylor and Cooper took the team past the half-century mark for the second wicket.  The partnership was, however, broken when Sophie MacMohan dismissed Cooper for 17.

     Shermaine Campbell then joined Taylor at the crease and the two rapidly accelerated the score, putting on 75 from 47 balls, before the team ended with 139 for 4.

    In response, Ireland’s number three batsman Kim Garth was the only one to offer up any resistance, after scoring 46 from 55 balls.  The rest of the line-up failed to get into double figures as they were meekly dismissed for 75 in 18.4 overs.  Fletcher ended with impressive figures of 4 for 14, with Chinelle Henry claiming 2 for 15.

     

  • Windies, South Africa World Cup warm-up called off after persistent rain Windies, South Africa World Cup warm-up called off after persistent rain

    The official ICC World Cup warm-up between Windies and South Africa at the Bristol County on Sunday was called after persistent showers.

    The regional team will have been hoping to get things back on track ahead of the global showpiece, following a disappointing showing in a recent tri-series featuring Ireland and Bangladesh.  It was the South Africans, however, who would have cause to be more pleased before the sky opened.

    Openers Quinton de Kock and Hashim Amla had pushed the team to 95 without loss after the first 12.4 overs.  Windies skipper Jason Holder and pacer Sheldon Cottrell occupied the majority of the overs with 5 and 4 respectively.  Holder went for 29, with Cottrell going for 26.

    After three stoppages due to rain, which led to the reduction of the game to 31-over contest, the match was called off.  South Africa's next game with be the World Cup opener on May 30 against England, while West Indies will play another warm-up game against New Zealand in another two days.  The regional team will open the tournament against Pakistan at Trent Bridge on Friday. 

    The other warm-up game, Pakistan against Bangladesh in Cardiff was abandoned without a ball being bowled because of heavy rain.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.