Increased use of stump microphones a backward step claims Windies great Holding

By March 03, 2019
West Indies fast bowling legend Michael Holding. West Indies fast bowling legend Michael Holding.

Legendary West Indies fast bowler turned commentator Michael Holding has rejected the notion of an increase in the use of stump microphones, which some have argued will benefit the game of cricket.

Debate in the public sphere has raged, as of late, after the devices played the role in the sanctioning of two players.  Windies fast bowler Shannon Gabriel was banned for four matches after being accused of directing a ‘homophobic’ jibe toward England captain Joe Root.

In an ODI against South Africa, Pakistan’s Sarfraz Ahmed was picked up on the stump mic making a racist comment to Andile Phehlukwayo and was also subsequently banned for four matches. 

Proponents of the argument have pointed to the positives of both outcomes and argued that an increase in microphones would also bring fans closer to players.  Holding, however, vehemently disagrees with the idea.  

"I had a conversation on air here in South Africa where I voiced my opinion on the stumps microphones being left on at all times.  It’s a backward step as far as I’m concerned,” Holding told Mumbai Mirror.

“The field of play and the dressing room belong to the combatants and the excuse being offered that it helps the viewers to enjoy the game is very lame.  If the public needs to hear the players on the field, it simply means the product being offered has a problem,” he added.

 

 

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Cummins replaces Paul in West Indies squad for India Test Cummins replaces Paul in West Indies squad for India Test

    West Indies will be without all-rounder Keemo Paul for the first Test against India, with Miguel Cummins called up as his replacement.

    Paul has been ruled out with an injury to his left ankle and the 21-year-old will remain in Antigua to continue his rehabilitation.

    Experienced Cummins, who made his Test debut in a series against India three years ago, taking a career-best 6-48 in the second innings of the second match, features in the 13-man squad in Paul's absence.

    "With Keemo ruled out for this match, it’s good to have someone with Miguel's quality back in the squad, as he brings experience to the team," Windies interim head coach Floyd Reifer said.

    "Watching him in the last A Team series against India A and the training sessions his lengths have improved. He's a very hard worker and a wicket-taker. I'm sure, if given the opportunity to play, he will make a valuable contribution in our bid to win this series."

    The Windies have not won a Test series against India since 2002 and are winless in the past 21 Tests between the teams.

    India head into the two-match series, which begins on Thursday, having won three Twenty20s and two ODIs throughout their tour so far.

  • Miguel Cummins to replace injured Keemo Paul for first Test Miguel Cummins to replace injured Keemo Paul for first Test

    Fast bowler Miguel Cummins will replace an injured Keemo Paul in the West Indies squad selected for the first Test against India in Antigua from August 22-26.

  • Ashes 2019: Paine expecting 'same old' Smith when batsman returns Ashes 2019: Paine expecting 'same old' Smith when batsman returns

    Tim Paine is not expecting any change in Steve Smith's attitude or application once Australia's talisman returns to action.

    Smith will miss the third Ashes Test at Headingley having suffered a delayed concussion after taking a blow to the neck from a fierce Jofra Archer delivery on Saturday.

    The 30-year-old, who will be replaced in Leeds by Marnus Labuschagne, has been the form player during the series, hitting 144 and 142 in Australia's win at Edgbaston before tallying 92 at Lord's - coming back out to bat after initially retiring hurt.

    Smith hopes to be back in time for the fourth Test, with Paine holding no concerns over the former captain's ability to come back strongly following the setback.

    "He's been in really good form, he's been playing really well, so he's disappointed not to be playing," Paine told a news conference.

    "He along with the rest of our group understand why he isn't [playing]. Steve loves batting, I don't think that’s going to change.

    "Steve's the best player in the world, he will come back in the next Test, if it's the next Test or the tour game [against Derbyshire, which starts on August 29], and we're expecting him to be the same old Steve Smith.

    "He's a high-quality player and he'll adapt as he always has."

    While Labuschagne's place in the side has been confirmed for the third Test, Paine opted not to give any details to the media over the rest of the XI on the eve of the match.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.