Hayley Matthews appointed Windies Women vice captain

By November 08, 2018
Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews

Barbadian batter Hayley Matthews said being made vice-captain of the Windies women for the ICC World Women’s T20 Tournament will ultimately make her a better player.

The 20-year-old all-rounder was on Thursday appointed to the position to support Captain Stafanie Taylor as the Windies get ready to launch the defence of the title they won two years ago.

Matthews was one of the stars when the WINDIES lifted the championship in 2016, producing a top knock of 66 from 45 balls in the final.  She has been on a constant upward trajectory since then, establishing herself as an important player in the WINDIES setup.

“I am very delighted that the hierarchy of Cricket West Indies (CWI) see me as a good fit for Vice Captain.  I think the added responsibility will be of great benefit to my overall game. It will be an amazing feeling to play in front of home fans here in the West Indies.”

Taylor, meanwhile, is confident that Matthews will take the responsibility in stride and continue to perform well while also pushing her teammates forward.

“Hayley is young but very confident and knowledgeable about the sport,” Taylor said.

“She is someone who can lead from the front, with bat and ball, and encourage her teammates to raise their game in varying situations.”

Meantime, 17-year old fast bowler, Qiana Joseph has replaced Sheneta Grimmond, who has been ruled out because of injury.

Joseph has been with the squad throughout the recent training camps held in Antigua this year and was part of the Windward Islands team for the Women’s Championship earlier this year.

She said she is excited about the competition and looking forward to playing in front of her home crowd in St. Lucia.

“It’s so unfortunate that Sheneta had to be withdrawn as it would have been a great experience for her.  However, I must take this selection as a blessing and do my best to assist the team in retaining our World (Women’s) T20 Championship at home. The team will do the best to make her proud.”

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Bravo set to rejoin Windies Test squad after two-year absence Bravo set to rejoin Windies Test squad after two-year absence

    Out-of-favour batsman Darren Bravo is set to rejoin the Windies Test team for the first time in two years having been selected for the upcoming series against England.

    The 29-year-old Bravo has often been considered one of the region’s most promising prospects in the game’s longest format, an area that has seen the team struggle mightily in recent years.  Bravo, however, ran afoul of the cricket board in 2016 after a tweet that called CWI president Dave Cameron a ‘big idiot’ surfaced on his Twitter profile during a contract dispute.

    Following talks late last year the way was clear for the player to return to the unit and was recalled to the Windies one-day squad but was yet to be included in the longest format. 

    Bravo is expected to be joined by debutants John Campbell, a 26-year-old left-handed opener from Jamaica, and Shamarh Brooks, the former West Indies Under-19 captain. 

    Windies chairman of selectors Courtney Brown insisted on the back of disappointing tour of Bangladesh that the time was right for changes with the series coming up on home soil.

    "After a difficult Test Series in Bangladesh late last year the opportunity presents itself for our team to pick itself up," said Brown.

     "Although a tough series against England is anticipated, home turf has always been a place where our team has made strides."

  • Centurion Kohli inspires India to level ODI series Centurion Kohli inspires India to level ODI series

    Virat Kohli produced another masterclass as he made his 39th ODI century in Adelaide to help India record a six-wicket win over Australia, levelling the three-match series at 1-1.

    Kohli's sublime 104 anchored India's response in Adelaide after Shaun Marsh hit a magnificent hundred of his own to give Australia hope of securing a first ODI series win in two years.

    Marsh was dropped for the upcoming Test series against Sri Lanka, but followed up his half-century at the SCG with a brilliant 131 from only 123 balls in Australia's 299-4.

    India set up a decider at the MCG on Friday with a superb run chase, Kohli and finisher MS Dhoni (55 not out) getting the tourists home in the final over after receiving treatment as the searing heat appeared to take its toll.

     

    Aaron Finch (6) failed again after winning the toss and opting to bat first, before fellow opener Alex Carey was removed by Mohammed Shami (3-58) in the next over.

    Marsh and Usman Khawaja (21) steadied the ship in a third-wicket stand of 56, but a direct hit from Ravindra Jadeja dismissed the latter after he was dropped by Dhoni off Kuldeep Yadav.

    The powerful Marsh continued to pounce on anything short, striking debutant Mohammed Siraj for two boundaries in an over and reaching 50 before Peter Handscomb was well stumped by Dhoni.

    Marcus Stoinis (29) hit Shami for back-to-back boundaries but the seamer had the last laugh when he was caught behind, leaving Marsh and Glenn Maxwell (48) to step on the accelerator.

    Marsh reached three figures in the 42nd over and Kuldeep was dispatched over the ropes by both batsmen as Australia started to motor, the centurion also hitting Shami and Bhuvneshwar Kumar for six.

    Maxwell and Marsh both fell in the 48th over from Bhuvneshwar, but big hitting from Nathan Lyon helped lift them towards 300.

    Shikhar Dhawan (32) was looking ominous before he was taken by Khawaja, and India were 101-2 in the 18th over after Stoinis saw the back of Rohit Sharma for a patient 43.

    Kohli batted responsibly, content to rotate the strike in a third-wicket partnership of 59 with Ambati Rayudu, who appeared to feel the pressure when he holed out to Maxwell.

    The skipper went on the attack after reaching his half-century, smashing Jason Behrendorff for six over long-on and using his feet superbly to give himself room to launch Lyon for a maximum.

    Although the runs dried up for Kohli and Dhoni as the Australia bowlers put the brakes on, the captain moved on to three figures from 108 balls with two off Peter Siddle, then struck Jhye Richardson to Maxwell at deep midwicket.

    India needed 57 off 38 balls when Kohli departed and they got home in the final over, Dhoni - who needed treatment late in the run chase - hitting his second six to reach 50 and winning it with a single after Dinesh Karthik (25no) provided great support.

  • ICC appoints Sawhney as new CEO ICC appoints Sawhney as new CEO

    Manu Sawhney has been appointed as the new chief executive officer of the International Cricket Council (ICC).

    Sawhney - a former CEO of Singapore Sports Hub and managing director of ESPN Star Sports - will join world cricket's governing body next month and succeed David Richardson in July.

    Richardson, who has held his position since 2012, confirmed last July that he would step down when his contract expires after the 2019 Cricket World Cup.

    ICC chairman Shashank Manohar, who led the process of appointing Richardson's successor, said in a media release: "I am delighted to confirm Manu's appointment. He brings 22 years of outstanding commercial experience to the ICC and will lead the delivery of our new global growth strategy for the game.

    "Our search produced a host of excellent candidates from around the world, but Manu stood out as the man to work with our members and take cricket forward.

    "He has proven success in a number of leadership roles in both sport and broadcasting. He is a strategic thinker and understands the cricket landscape and its complexities.

    "The decision of the nominations committee to recommend Manu to the board was a unanimous one and I and my fellow directors are looking forward to working with him."

    Sawhney added: "It is a great privilege and responsibility to serve the global cricket community as CEO of the ICC. The sport has more than a billion fans and an ambitious growth strategy so it is a very exciting time to lead the organisation.

    "I’d like to thank the ICC board for giving me this opportunity and look forward to working with them, our members, the team and ICC's incredible partners and cricketers around the world to propel the sport forward into a period of significant and sustained global growth in the coming years."

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

#Dinwiddie sinks 3-pointer from half-court logo! More #NBA 🏀 tonight as #Curry and the #Warriors play #Jokic and t… https://t.co/vrV7hn5UD8
#StephCurry dropped 48 pts including ELEVEN threes as the #Warriors triumphed over #Doncic and the #Mavs in #NBA🏀 a… https://t.co/kzRSYMwDUh
#Simeone reacts to #AtleticoMadrid win on Sunday. More #LaLiga continues today! Watch all season long LIVE via the… https://t.co/61EuUlY8yE
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.