The West Indies will begin their bid to become World Test champions when they host India for five weeks starting in August.

Courtney Browne and Eldine Baptiste have filed suit against Cricket West Indies citing unfair dismissal from their jobs as West Indies selectors effective March 31, 2019.

Colonial Group International Ltd. (CGI) has announced a major global partnership with Cricket West Indies (CWI) that “will benefit cricket across the region from communities and young families to professional cricketers”.

Cricket West Indies (CWI) chief executive Johnny Grave has called for more respect to be given to the regional squad, after pointing out what he believes to be a double standard in terms of the way it is viewed.

The Windies silenced plenty of critics after blowing away more highly England in the first Test, with a victory margin of 381 runs.  The result hardly seemed a possibility ahead of the series, with many pundits and fans seeing clear domination by the English as the only possible result.

Ranked some four places above the Windies in the ICC Test rankings and coming off a convincing win against Sri Lanka, it was the English who were expected to make quick work of the hosts.

“There always seems to be a bit of an undertone when people talk about West Indies,” Grave told English newspaper DailyMail.

“Our players are trying to live up to some of the greatest names that ever played the game and if people like Geoff Boycott are always going to compare them they are always going to be considered average or ordinary,” he added.

“To suggest Kemar Roach, who has taken so many wickets with the injuries he's had, is ordinary? Then you've got Jason Holder, the best all-rounder in the world. People say Ben Stokes is world class but they don't say the same about Jason and I find that inconsistent.  It's just not right and it's my role as chief executive, especially being English, to say, come on, have some respect.”

The 2019 season of the Hero CPL T20 competition will bowl off on August 21 with the final set for September 27, 2019.

As the Windies Women prepare for their tour of Pakistan later this month, Cricket West Indies said they have confirmed the dates for the ODI leg of the tour but are still working out details for the T20 matches.

Johnny Grave, Cricket West Indies Chief Executive Officer, is not pleased with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) who revised their eligibility criteria in a bid to make sure that Barbadian paceman Jofra Archer can turn out for the country.

According to Grave, the concern is not just over Archer, but that other talented Caribbean players could be lured away from playing for their region, using the same ‘long-term county contracts’ that have paved the way for Archer.

The Windies were hoping they would have had Archer for the World Cup in 2019, but the exciting 23-year-old, one of the brightest prospects in world cricket today, made it clear, his intentions to turn out for England whenever eligibility requirements were met.

The ECB had previously required that for a player to be eligible to turn out for England, they must have seven years of residency under their belt, however, last week that was reduced to just three.

“We respect Jofra’s decision, the rules allow him to [switch country]. But on a personal level, and as an Englishman, I don’t like the concept of the ECB poaching players who have been part of another system up to the age of 19,” said Graves.

“I hope no other West Indian cricketers follow that path and hope it doesn’t lead to counties doing their talent ID in the Caribbean, taking our players into the public school system and then on to offering them lucrative long-term county contracts and then possibly on to playing for England.”

Interestingly, Archer’s first game for England could very well be in the Caribbean next year when England tour the region for three Tests, five One-Day Internationals and three Twenty20s from January 23 to March 10. Archer would become eligible to play for England in March, right in time for the T20 fixtures.

Canada and the United States are set to take part in the Cricket West Indies Regional Super50 Cup when the tournament bowls off next Wednesday in Trinidad with defending champions, the Windward Volcanoes, taking on the Trinidad & Tobago Red Force at the Queen’s Park Oval.   

Stuart Law has resigned as Head Coach of the WINDIES Men’s team and is to take on a new role in England,come January 2019.

Cricket West Indies has expressed its gratitude for several Caribbean countries for what they said is for “their partnerships and investment in the upcoming England tour of the Caribbean.”

Darren Bravo and CWI have come to an understanding that he won’t be rushed backed into international cricket, while Sunil Narine progress to play the longer formats is under discussion with his representatives according to Cricket West Indies (CWI) CEO Johnny Grave. 

Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine and the Bravo brothers Darren and Dwayne could get back into the Windies squad for the World Cup by performing well in the Regional Super50.  But are we jumping the gun? Their selection could be far from certain.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.