CPL

'WI missing out on top T20 talent' - Barbados Cricket Director Leslie insists CPL not enough to expose players

By Sports Desk September 17, 2020

Barbados Cricket Director Stephen Leslie has called on regional cricket custodians to do more to ensure top local T20 talent is not cast aside, in light of limited places in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

The recently concluded edition of the tournament, which was won by the Trinbago Knight Riders, did feature some of the region’s emerging talent.  In fact, a list of 20 young players was, as is required, named ahead of the tournament and several players featured prominently throughout the competition. 

The list included Alick Athanaze, Joshua Bishop, Leniko Boucher, Keacy Carty Roland Cato, Joshua da Silva, Dominic Drakes, Amir Jangoo, Nicholas Kirton, Mikyle Louis, Kirk McKenzie, Kimani Melius, Ashmead Nedd, Jeavor Royal, Jayden Seales, Keagan Simmons, Kevin Sinclair, Shamar Springer, Bhaskar Yadram and Nyeem Young. 

There are, however, a few players who remain outside this group.  Leslie pointed to the example of Roshon Primus who represented Trinbago Knight Riders in the two previous seasons.  Leslie believes the idea of another country-based T20 tournament could be considered.

“The CPL has a franchise model, which in my view, has not been able to expose the best T20 cricketer that ply their trade in the Caribbean,” Leslie told the Mason and Guest radio program.

“I’ll give an example of Barbados.  Barbados started a T20 domestic tournament back in 2009.  Every year there are some players that contribute very well.  Roshon Primus, for example, does extremely well, but the opportunity for Roshon Primus to be selected, I’m not sure there is that level of transparency,” he added.

“Simply put, you can have young U-19 West Indies players given an opportunity to make the franchises because they were on a global stage. You can have the West Indies emerging players from the Super50, did very well, given an opportunity to play T20 cricket.  But what happens to local Barbadian T20 players, Trinidadians, and those across the region who ply their trade and play consistently well in their domestic tournament.  I believe there is very little for those persons.”

Related items

  • 'Being left on the sidelines pinched Gayle' - BCCI president Ganguly believes early season benching helped batsman 'Being left on the sidelines pinched Gayle' - BCCI president Ganguly believes early season benching helped batsman

    Board of CricBCCI president Sourav Ganguly is convinced West Indies star Chris Gayle was hurt by being left on the bench for Kings XI Punjab earlier this season, despite his trademark broad smile suggesting otherwise.

    The 41-year-old big-hitter was left out of the line-up for the first six games of the Indian Premier League (IPL) season.  With the team struggling to a 1-6 record, the player was scheduled to appear for the seventh match but was sidelined with a stomach illness.

    Gayle eventually made his debut with an important 53 against Royal Challengers Bangalore that kept the team’s season alive.  Since his introduction, KXIP's playoff chances have been revived as they have won three games in a row and go for a fourth on Saturday.  In analysing the situation, Ganguly praised Gayle’s performance and believes some time on the sidelines may have helped the West Indies star.  Typically an opener, Gayle has been brought into the line-up as a number three batsman with captain KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal doing a great job at the very top of the order.

    “We all think Chris Gayle keeps laughing and roaming but it pinched him that he has been made to sit out,” Ganguly told Star Sports.

    “These are the things to see and learn from. IPL is just too much competition,” he added.

  • Mumbai go top after Boult and Bumrah burst sets up CSK drubbing Mumbai go top after Boult and Bumrah burst sets up CSK drubbing

    Trent Boult took four wickets and Ishan Kishan blasted an unbeaten half-century as Mumbai Indians returned to the top of the Indian Premier League with a 10-wicket hammering of Chennai Super Kings.

    It was the most one-sided of contests at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, where CSK could only post 114-9 on Friday.

    That marked something of a recovery for the bottom side, who were reeling on 3-4 after Boult (4-18) and Jasprit Bumrah (2-25) took two wickets apiece in devastating opening bursts.

    They were rocking on 43-7 before Sam Curran spared them complete humiliation with 52 from 47 balls. 

    Rahul Chahar also capitalised on the sorry Super Kings' batting frailties by taking 2-22 and the Indians openers made light work of moving them back to the summit.

    Kishan made 68 from a mere 37 deliveries and the in-form Quinton de Kock finished unbeaten on 46 as the defending champions sealed a thumping win with as many as 7.4 overs to spare.

    Victory moves Mumbai level on points with Delhi Capitals and Royal Challengers Bangalore.

     

    BOULT AND BUMRAH WREAK HAVOC IN PITIFUL POWERPLAY

    CSK were floored by Boult and Bumrah as they lost five wickets in the powerplay for the first time ever.

    The brilliant Boult trapped Ruturaj Gaikwad leg before in the first over and had Faf du Plessis caught behind by De Kock after Bumrah struck twice in as many balls, seeing the back of Ambati Rayudu and Narayan Jagadeesan.

    Curran offered some much-needed resistance without notable support before he was bowled off the last ball of the innings from Boult, who also dismissed Ravindra Jadeja.

    New Zealand seamer Boult is third in the list of leading wicket-takers in the 2020 IPL with 16, one less than Bumrah.

     

    SEALED WITH A KISH

    It takes a special innings to upstage South Africa white-ball captain De Kock and Kishan produced one.

    The 22-year-old struck five sixes in another demonstration of his immense talent, reaching his half-century by disdainfully reverse-sweeping Jadea over the rope.

    Gaikwad gave Kishan a life when he put him down, summing up CSK's day, and De Kock - who had made three consecutive half-centuries - struck a couple of sixes as Mumbai coasted to victory.

  • Holder's CPL form got him back into IPL after four-year absence - Ian Bishop Holder's CPL form got him back into IPL after four-year absence - Ian Bishop

    Cricket commentator Ian Bishop believes Jason Holder’s CPL form over the past two seasons was largely responsible for his recall to the Indian Premier League this season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.