CPL

Blackwood praised by Tallawahs CEO. "He was always ready."

By September 17, 2020

Jeff Miller has spoken highly of Jermaine Blackwood and sees him as part of the Jamaica Tallawahs squad in the next season of the Hero CPL.

Blackwood was a last-minute call up for the Jamaica Tallawahs after Andre McCarthy lost his place in the squad after he was exposed to someone infected with the Covid-19 virus. Nevertheless, while he did not necessarily cover himself in glory, the diminutive Jamaican batsman did just about enough to satisfy his employers.

In eight matches, Blackwood batted seven times scoring 189 runs at an average of 27.00. Critically, he became a useful replacement for an out of form Chadwick Walton and with the very reliable Glen Phillips, had the two best opening partnerships for the Tallawahs during the season.

He scored 74 while mounting an opening stand of 51 with Phillips against the Barbados Tridents. He also collaborated in an opening stand of 84 with Phillips against the St Lucia Zouks in a match that Tallawahs somehow managed to lose.

His contribution of 25 was more valuable than the actual score as it helped put his team in a winning position.

Miller was pleased with his overall performance.

“Jermaine contributing to the team when he got the opportunity only showed how professional he is,” Miller said.

“He was always ready, very vocal in the dressing room, a team player. Jermaine is a player that would definitely be a part of our T20 team going forward.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • 'Cancelled high school football competitions will have big impact on national programs' - Downswell 'Cancelled high school football competitions will have big impact on national programs' - Downswell

     Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) director of football, Wendell Downswell, believes the continued absence of the country’s youth football programs and competitions will have a devastating impact on the sport over the next few years.

    All official football competitions across Jamaica have been shuttered since March of last year, as the island battled to come to grips with the spread of the deadly coronavirus.  Included in that list are the island’s Premier League competition and all high school football competitions.

    Both competitions typically cater to the need of developing players Under 21 years old who are selected for youth national teams and even acquire scholarships to overseas colleges through them.  

    With the recent decision by FIFA to postpone the 2021 U-17 and U-20 World Cup and CONCACAF’s decisions to postpone the respective qualifiers, things are essentially at a standstill.

    “You won’t see it immediately but in years to come, probably starting in 2023, you will see the results as it relates to our youth football itself,” Downswell told Football GPS.

    “Youngsters if you look at it, in three categories, in four categories, at high school you have the U-14, Under-16 and of course the Manning Cup and DaCosta Cup.  At the parish level, you have the Under-15 competition, at the club level, you have the Under-14 competition that takes on an international flavor.  If you look from there you make the transition into the Under-15, Under-17, and the Under-20 national teams and you are looking at both sets of national teams, male and female," he added.

    "If we look at it from the perspective that the schoolboy football competition has been abandoned because of COVID, you know the schoolboy competition provides us with a means to identify talent at both the schoolboy level and club level and when that’s not forthcoming it put a damper on our football.”

     

     

     

  • Jamaica gets record brand exposure during 2020 CPL Jamaica gets record brand exposure during 2020 CPL

    During the 2020 tournament the Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL),  Jamaica Tallawahs partnered with the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) to showcase Jamaica as a fascinating and vibrant destination for all visitors, generating a sponsorship value of US$45.7million.

    The 2020 tournament was played behind closed doors in Trinidad as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, but the Tallawahs and Hero CPL worked hard to highlight Jamaica as a leading tourist destination. With record viewership of 523million, a 67 per cent increase on 2019, there was a huge audience watching CPL and hearing about what Jamaica has to offer.

    The JTB’s9876543ASP[]\sponsorship of the Jamaica Tallawahs saw tourism footage featuring many of the “must see” locations in Jamaica shown throughout the tournament, with there being a special focus during the Tallawah’s “home” matches. In total Jamaica received a record 395 hours of brand exposure across the tournament.

     “We are delighted to see these numbers and it always pleases us when we are able to show Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean in the best possible light,” said Hero CPL COO, Pete Russell.

    “The Hero CPL taking place in 2020 showed the world that the Caribbean was open for business and even in the most trying of circumstances it can deliver an amazing experience for visitors. Jamaica is a fantastic place to visit and we can’t wait to be back there as soon as possible.”

    Jamaica’s Director of Tourism Donovan White highlighted the benefits of the partnership.

    “Our partnership with Hero Caribbean Premier League gave us the opportunity to present the Jamaican brand to a large global cricket audience,” White said.

    “An audience that included cricket aficionados and others from India, South Africa, England and Australia. Our association with Jamaica Tallawahs was well positioned and we are happy with the success of the television production.”

     

  • Jamaican-born Abevia McDonald signs one-year deal with London Skolars Jamaican-born Abevia McDonald signs one-year deal with London Skolars

    Jamaican-born Rugby League player Abevia McDonald has signed a one year contract with English League One outfit London Skolars. He is now the second Jamaican domestic player to sign a professional contract following the footsteps of Nathan Campbell who signed for the Toronto Wolfpack in 2016.

    A former student of Excelsior Community College in Kingston, McDonald had signed a first-team contract with the team in 2019 but saw no action as the League One or the Championship were cancelled because of the Covid-19 Pandemic.

    He began playing while at EXED in 2013 and developed into a quality player who helped the Red Sharks to the National Club title in 2018. It would be his last game in Jamaica as he migrated to England shortly thereafter. He eventually joined the Skolars Reserve team and scored against Super League outfit Wigan Warriors.

    He would go on to score more than a dozen tries for the team which led to his first-team signing in 2019.

    "His journey is yet another example of inspiration for the local rugby league community. We know that some domestic players have the ability to crack semi-pro teams in the UK if afforded the opportunity,” said Jamaica’s Head Coach Romeo Monteith.

    “We have and have had some quality players come through our local systems. He impressed me from the first time I saw him play, he has blistering speed and it's good to see him stick with the game and push on to where he is today."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.