CPL

Bravo happy to be the first to 500, wants to continue enjoying the game

By August 26, 2020

When Dwayne Bravo had Rahkeem Cornwall caught at cover during the Trinbago Knight Rider’s win over the St Lucia Zouks, history was created and although the magnitude of reaching 500 wickets in T20 cricket was not lost on the West Indies all-rounder, he has his sights firmly set on more.

The Knight Riders bowled first against the Zouks, who had gotten a good start despite losing Andre Fletcher early. It was just the third over, but already the Zouks had raced to 32 when Bravo was asked to bowl in the Powerplay.

His first three deliveries were dot balls, a yorker on middle stump, and two low full tosses at different paces. Then with his fourth delivery, he bowled back of a length. Cornwall took the bait, driving through cover only to be well caught by Colin Munro.

But before Bravo really celebrated his achievement, he had to refocus and get back to it, taking his 501st wicket in a series of three overs that accounted for just seven.

Rain would interrupt the game in the 18th over with the Zouks 111-6. Duckworth/Lewis’ intervention meant the Knight Riders would have to chase 72 from nine overs. The former champions would end on 74-2 in eight overs.

“It’s a great result for us, we really wanted to win this game. It is very important for us to keep winning cricket games,” said Bravo.

“Every time we and St Lucia play it is a rain-affected game but I am very very happy for the result,” he said.

With the win out of the way, Bravo could celebrate the personal milestone in a more real way.

“I guess I gotta say congratulations to myself are in order. It’s a great feeling. I’ve already gotten a lot of messages from a lot of people. It’s been a great journey so far,” said Bravo.

Bravo also thanked his teammates all around the world, saying achieving 500 wickets would not have been possible without them.

The Queen’s Park Oval, where the match was played, is the home of Bravo’s boyhood cricket club, Queen’s Park Cricket Club. Taking his 500th wicket at the venue was not lost on the all-rounder.

“This is where I started playing cricket. At age eight is where it all started for me and I couldn’t be a more happy person to have gotten this here at the Queen’s Park Oval,” he said.

But Bravo isn’t dwelling on the achievement, he wants to keep going for as long as possible.

“I want to stay as fit as possible for as long as possible. Continue to build and keep taking wickets for whatever team I play for and enjoy the game. That is the most important thing for me,” he said.

 

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Ambris hunting for 100s, hoping to secure permanent spot in Windies squad Ambris hunting for 100s, hoping to secure permanent spot in Windies squad

    West Indies vice-captain for the One Day International (ODI) team Sunil Ambris is hoping to stake his claim for a regular place in the first-team squad, by scoring at least one 100 in the upcoming tour of Bangladesh.

    The 27-year-old Ambris was among several players unexpectedly named to the West Indies squad for the tour after 12 first-team players made themselves unavailable for the tour.  Prior to that Ambris had last played for the team in February of last year, on the team’s tour of Sri Lanka.  On that occasion, the player averaged 26 in three matches.  He was not selected to the team for either of the team’s previous tours to England or New Zealand.

    Ambris, in addition to providing support for less experienced players on the tour, hopes to push himself back in the conversation for regular selection.

    “This is the first tour that I’m actually confident that I will be starting.  So, I would like to use this tour to cement myself in the starting 11 for other tours,” Ambris told members of the media via an online press conference on Friday.

    “I’d love to get at least one hundred out of these three games, I think that would do me a lot of good,” he added.

      

  • Call from legendary Lara helped Fletcher turn around bad run of batting form Call from legendary Lara helped Fletcher turn around bad run of batting form

    Windies batsman, Andre Fletcher, has pointed to a call from legendary batsman Brian Lara as pivotal in helping to turn around his form in this season’s Big Bash League (BBL).

    On Thursday, Fletcher smashed a brutal 89 for just 49 balls to underpin the Melbourne Stars massive 111 run win over Adelaide Strikers.  The knock was timely for Fletcher as he had not passed 18 in his first nine BBL encounters.

    The 33-year-old had previously also performed below expectations in a low-scoring Caribbean Premier League (CPL), where he scored 211 from 12 games despite his team St Lucia Zouks making it to the final.  As it turns out, it was a call from the legendary West Indian batsman, who is on commentary duty at the BBL, which proved critical in helping Fletcher turn around that recent run of bad form.

    "He called me, and I was surprised, to be honest," Fletcher said following his explosive performance.

    "He was telling me that, looking from the outside, I've been striking the ball cleanly and he just told me to give myself that opportunity. Giving myself that chance and playing each ball on its merits,” he added.

    "I'm an aggressive player so there's no need to go out there and look to [over] power the ball. To be honest, that's what I did today.

    "I've met him before. He's a great guy. I told him over the phone, after what he told me I was like, 'So Brian, now I understand the reason you were so great'.

    "He told me, feel free to call him any time I wish to, he's there, he's open for anything and willing to give me advice."

  • 'WI selectors should not be fixated on conditions'- claims former fast bowler Gray 'WI selectors should not be fixated on conditions'- claims former fast bowler Gray

    Former West Indies fast bowler, Tony Gray, believes it is a mistake for selectors to get caught up with selecting teams based on conditions.

    Recently, Cricket West Indies (CWI) chief of selectors Roger Harper set off a firestorm with an explanation that promising fast bowler Chemar Holder had been left out of the Test squad for the Bangladesh tour, in order to include an extra spinner to exploit conditions.

    For some, the decision was all the more vexing considering the absence of Jason Holder, who was typically part and parcel of a four-prong pace bowling attack, and Chemar Holder’s promising debut in New Zealand where he took two wickets in trying circumstances.

    For his part, in addition to pointing out that Bangladesh were exceptional at handling spin, Gray pointed to the fact that a multitude of pace bowlers had done well on Asian pitches for several decades.

    “I think that they (selectors) are fixated on the conditions, you cannot be fixated on the conditions,” Gray told the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “I played my first Test series in Pakistan and I got 14 wickets in three games.  You want the mindset to be there.  If you are telling a young fast bowler, for example, who can bowl some 90 miles an hour deliveries, that you are not going to perform well because of bowling conditions that are not really suited to your pace and your style of bowling, then you are doing the wrong thing,” he added.

    “So, I think they have been fixated on conditions and there are other things to take note of for example the strengths of the opposition, the Bangladeshis are very adept at playing spin bowling.”

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.