Darren Sammy, Johnson Charles confirmed for Dream 11 St Lucia Blast June 23

By June 18, 2020

Two-time World Cup-winning captain Darren Sammy, Johnson Charles and West Indies U19 Captain Kimani Melius have all been confirmed for the Dream11 St Lucia Blast, a T10 tournament set to bowl off at the Darren Sammy Cricket Grounds in St Lucia next week Tuesday, June 23.

The confirmations come as the St Lucia National Cricket Association released details of the tournament on Thursday.

Thirty matches, including a best-of-three women’s competition, are set to be played from June 23 to July 8, 2020, with two matches being played each day. Match times are 12:30 and 2:30 pm ECT respectively.

Local media entity Winners TV station will live stream and broadcasting the event, the association has said.

In addition to the West Indies trio, several other top regional players from St Lucia will also feature in the tournament that will be the first competitive sporting activity to take place in St. Lucia since the imposition of Covid-19 related restrictions in March.

Ackeem Auguste, Zayee Antoine, Caleb Thomas, Stephen Abraham, Keddy Lesporis, Jamaal James, Jonnel Eugene, Jaden Elibox, Keygan Arnold, Audy Alexander, Dalton Polius, Larry Edward, Tarryck Gabriel and Garvin Serieux are among the players confirmed for participation.

Meanwhile, two women’s teams comprised of a number of Windward Islands selectees will battle in a best-of-three format. Among the players expected to be involved are Under-19 players Zaida James - U19 Vice-Captain, Makada Dubois, Sunelli Dorius, Shernia Cooper and Skyy Smith, who is a reserve player.

The senior women will include Qiana Joseph, Ashlene Edward - Senior Vice-Captain, Yasmine St Ange, Nerissa Crafton (reserve) and Malika Edward.

 “This will be a historic event as the embattled sports world comes to grips with the new Covid-19 norm, thrust unceremoniously upon humanity across the globe and the sporting fraternity makes the necessary adjustments to return to active sports,” SLNCA President Carol Henry.

 “Excitement is building up among players, officials and cricket lovers alike as June 23, 2020, draws closer. It promises to be a very special occasion indeed.”

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • 'Windies must pounce quickly against England' - insists legend Lara 'Windies must pounce quickly against England' - insists legend Lara

    Brian Lara has urged West Indies to "pounce immediately" and rattle England early on in their three-Test series.

    The Windies great, formerly the all-time record run-scorer in Tests, believes his countrymen will struggle if matches go the full five-day distance.

    But he sees West Indies as having the players who can impose themselves on their hosts, with the behind-closed-doors series starting in Southampton on Wednesday.

    "They have to hit the road running and stamp their authority on England," Lara said in quotes published by the BBC.

    "I don't think they can last five days, so they have to take these games in four days. They have to establish a lead and keep it."

    Lara still holds the highest individual score in Tests - the 400 not out he scored against England in Antigua in 2004.

    He knows what it takes to pick apart an England bowling attack, and West Indies' 2-1 series victory over the same opponents last year suggests the current breed can also more than hold their own.

    Whether West Indies can be as competitive in English conditions as they were in the Caribbean remains to be seen.

    "They have to be able to pounce immediately," said Lara. "England are not beaten very easily at home and are overwhelming favourites."

    According to the 51-year-old Trinidadian, the tone for the series could be set on day one.

    Lara said: "If they play good cricket on the first day of the Test series, show they have the mettle to perform against England, that's the key."

  • CPL Draft: Patriots grab Ramdin, draft unknown Joshua De Silva CPL Draft: Patriots grab Ramdin, draft unknown Joshua De Silva

    The St Kitts & Nevis Patriots were happy enough with their Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) outfit from last time out but made two interesting additions during the draft held earlier today.

    Joshua De Silva, the only man to score a century during the West Indies intra-match practice games over the last two weeks, has been drafted into the Patriots line-up, while Australian, Chris Lynn has come over from the Guyana Jaguars.

    De Silva showed he can bat, but the 22-year-old Trinidad and Tobago wicketkeeper-batsman has never played a T20 match and averages 32.88 from his 16 First-Class games. He averages 41 in List A cricket but that is just from 10 games.

    While De Silva is an unknown quantity, Lynn’s quality with the bat is world-renowned and he could form a dangerous partnership with Evin Lewis at the top of the Patriots order.

    Lewis has been retained along with Jamaican pacer Sheldon Cottrell, and allrounder Rayad Emrit.

    The Patriots also chose to retain Fabian Allen, West Indies pacer Alzarri Joseph, and Dominic Drakes.

    As for signings, the Patriots will have South Africa’s Rassie van der Dussen, Former Pakistan medium pacer, Sohail Tanvir, and returning New Zealander, Ish Sodhi.

    The Patriots also have the experience of Denesh Ramdin along with Colin Archibald, John Russ Jaggesar, Sunny Sohal, and Dennis Bulli.

  • CPL Draft: Knight Riders keep powerful unit together, bring in Seifert for Ramdin CPL Draft: Knight Riders keep powerful unit together, bring in Seifert for Ramdin

    The Trinbago Knight Riders have not made too many changes to the team that are perennial challengers for the Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) title.

    The Knight Riders have retained all of 11 players for this season’s CPL, set to run from August 18 to September 10 after a remote draft held earlier today.

    The Knight Riders will return this season with Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Darren Bravo, Lendl Simmons, Khary Pierre, Amir Jangoo, Tion Webster, Akeal Hosein and Muhammad Ali Khan.

    They have also signed 18-year-old West Indies under-19 medium-pacer Jayden Seales, as well as carrying back Australian Fawad Ahmed and New Zealand’s Colin Munro after they had stints away last season.

    New Zealand wicketkeeper-batsman Tim Seifert is the new name in the line-up after Denesh Ramdin was transferred to the St Kitts & Nevis Patriots.

    Seifert comes to the team with 83 T20s under his belt, scoring a century and eight half-centuries at an average of 25.26. He has had 65 dismissals behind the stumps, inclusive of 13 stumpings.

    The Knight Riders have drafted four players though, picking up 48-year-old Indian leg-spinner Pravin Tambe, Anderson Phillip, who played with them las season, showing good pace, as well as Zimbabwe all-rounder, Sikandar Raza.

     

    Trinbago Knight Riders: Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Colin Munro, Australia’s Fawad Ahmed, Darren Bravo, Lendl Simmons, Khary Pierre, Tim Seifert, Sikandar Raza, Anderson Phillip, Pravin Tambe, Jayden Seales, Amir Jangoo, Tion Webster, Akeal Hosein, and Muhammad Ali Khan.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.