CPL

Gayle issues apology over YouTube video comments, CPL considers the matter closed

By May 15, 2020

Chris Gayle has apologized for some of the comments made regarding his departure from the Jamaica Tallawahs in three videos posted on YouTube on April 27.

 In light of the development, the CPL now considers the matter closed.

 In the three videos, Gayle claimed that Jamaica Tallawahs’ CEO Jeff Miller had him agree to a pay cut on three separate occasions only to be excluded from the list of players the franchise chose to retain for the 2020 season.

Earlier this week, the Tallawahs citing a focus on rebuilding announced that they retained Andre Russell, Rovman Powell, Oshane Thomas and Chadwick Walton.

 Gayle had also lashed out at Ramnaresh Sarwan, the team’s assistant coach, calling him a snake while accusing him of conspiring with the owners to get him out of the franchise.

 The agreement that led to the Universe Boss’ decision to offer an apology stems from efforts made by the CPL and the relevant parties to settle the matter before it would be heard by a CPL Tournament Committee that received a formal complaint about the player’s actions on May 6.

 In his apology, Gayle said he realised the damage some of his comments may have caused.

 “I must be honest and say that I now realize how portions of my comments may be viewed as being damaging to Cricket West Indies, and to the CPL Tournament and its brand – a tournament which I have sincerely enjoyed not just being a part of, but also helping to build and promote,” Gayle said.

 “It was never my intention to damage the T20 Tournament, as playing in the CPL has guaranteed an opportunity for the past seven years to play in front of the great fans of the Caribbean. This is a privilege which I genuinely appreciate and have never taken for granted.”

 However, Gayle stood by other comments made during the videos that created quite a stir across the globe.

 “I made these videos with one single intention – to explain to the fans in Jamaica the reasons behind what has now become my second departure from the Tallawahs franchise,” he said.

 “It was my greatest wish to finish my CPL career in Jamaica – playing in front of my home crowd at Sabina Park with the franchise that I had previously led to two CPL titles.

 “In so far as my resentment at the treatment, I stand by my comments in those videos. My words were spoken from the heart.”

 According to the CPL, the Tournament Committee received a formal complaint on May 6, alleging breaches of its Tournament Rules & Regulations by Gayle, arising from a series of videos, which he had posted to his personal YouTube channel on April 27.

 Having circulated the complaint, the CTC unanimously decided that it satisfied the prima facie test. In accordance with its Disciplinary Powers, it authorised the establishment of an independent three-member Tribunal to hear the matter.  

 Notwithstanding, intense efforts were made to settle the charges for the benefit of CWI, CPL and Gayle before empanelling its members, the CPL explained.

 According to the CPL, these efforts have resulted in acceptance by Mr Gayle of the need to issue the statement that was received by the CTC and shared with the CPL & CWI to the satisfaction of all parties.

 “Given the assurance of Mr Gayle to act in good faith, it, therefore, is no longer necessary to empanel a Tribunal. The CTC, the CPL and CWI, therefore, consider the matter closed.”

 

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • CPL teams start to train as local players test negative for COVID-19 CPL teams start to train as local players test negative for COVID-19

    The players and staff who are resident in Trinidad & Tobago who are coming into the CPL cohort have all tested negative for COVID-19 and will join the tournament bubble at the official hotel over the coming days.

    The St Lucia Zouks squad and the members of the Trinbago Knight Riders squad, who travelled into Trinidad have tested negative for COVID-19 and they will begin training today, with other teams doing so in the coming days.

    Results from further testing of all other members of the travelling cohort are expected today after a second round of testing on Monday.

    “We have been extremely careful in how we have gone about introducing those who are resident in Trinidad & Tobago into the tournament bubble and these tests coming back negative is very good news for the tournament. We will continue to be vigilant to ensure the health and well-being of everyone, both inside the tournament bubble and the wider public,” said  Michael Hall, Tournament Operations Director.

    The tournament gets underway on August 18 and will see 33 games played at two venues in Trinidad. The first match will be played on September 10.

     

  • Fans unsure about keeping Marlon, panel cuts him from Ultimate XI final reckoning Fans unsure about keeping Marlon, panel cuts him from Ultimate XI final reckoning

    There was no place for Marlon Samuels in SportsMax’s Ultimate XI T20 batsmen 3-5 after a panel of experts dumped the allrounder from a shortlist of 14 on the SportsMax Zone earlier today.

    The panel consisting of David Brook, cricket commentator and reporter, Sachin Ramsuhbag, cricket commentator, and Chris Taylor, commentator and cricket umpire, felt Samuels, though a proven match winner, did not stack up with the consistency of some of the other batsmen in the list.

    The panel also felt that Samuels’ strike rate (117.93) over the course of 187 games was not high enough, when compared to others in the list.

    That list reads a veritable who’s who in the T20 game, with India’s Virat Kohli and Mahendra Singh Dhoni; South Africa’s Faf du Plessis, JP Duminy and AB de Villiers; West Indies’ Samuels; England’s Kevin Pietersen, Eoin Morgan, and Joe Root; Pakistan’s Babar Azam and Shoaib Malik; Australia’s Glenn Maxwell; Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara; and New Zealand’s Kane Williamson all getting the nod.

    From that list, du Plessis, Samuels, Morgan, Duminy, Sangakkara, Maxwell, Williamson and Root have all been cut.

    That means Kohli, Pietersen, Babar, Shoaib, de Villiers and Dhoni are the men who will vie for three places, from the number-three to the number five positions in the batting line-up when another panel of experts makes a judgement on the SportsMax Zone tomorrow.

    While voting fans, Fanalysts, just pick a final XI, if they were to pick a group for a final discussion, it might look a little different from the one the panel picked.

    So far, the fans have favoured Kohli, de Villiers, Dhoni, Maxwell, Pietersen, and there is a toss-up between Samuels and Sangakkara for the sixth position.

    For the fans, neither Babar nor Shoaib factor in their all-time XI.

    Fans, called Fanalysts have a 30% weighted vote on who makes SportsMax’s Ultimate XI T20 team, with the SportsMax Zone having another 30% of the vote. The panel of experts’ vote will count for 40% of the overall votes.

    Fanlysts can vote by clicking here or going to SportsMax.tv and just clicking on the Ultimate XI tab at the top of the screen.

    SportsMax.tv has also built a list of profiles where Fanalysts can go to have a look at the careers of the players who have made the SportsMax Ultimate XI shortlist just in case you want to learn a little more about them before making your choice. To take a look at those players click here.

  • Bravo just wants to play – Former TKR skipper happy to be led by Pollard Bravo just wants to play – Former TKR skipper happy to be led by Pollard

    The injury to Dwayne Bravo that kept him out of the 2019 edition of the Hero Caribbean Premier League and saw Kieron Pollard replace him as captain of the Trinbago Knight Riders may have been fortuitous.

    Pollard had big shoes to fill, as Bravo had led the TKR to back-to-back titles in 2017 and 2018.

    The big West Indies captain, the most experienced T20 player in the history of the format, lost to eventual champions Barbados Tridents in the second qualifier for the competition’s final in 2019.

    Still, he has retained his position as skipper in the team and has the blessing of his predecessor.

    CEO of the TKR, Venky Mysore, revealed recently that Bravo, though very successful as captain of the team, had, for a long time, wanted to pass the baton, but he had delayed the action.

    "The champion DJ Bravo has been coming to me year after year and asking me to give someone else the captaincy because he wants to just concentrate on playing and enjoying the game,” said Mysore.

    Bravo, who recently came out of international retirement, has also played under Pollard for the West Indies and has lauded his approach to captaincy.

    “I always told him not until I am ready and that time has come and he is very happy to play under Pollard,” said Mysore.

    The TKR will open the CPL season against last year’s beaten finalists, the Guyana Amazon Warriors on August 18.

    “Pollard was kind enough to accept the position to lead the team at the tournament. He said if we wanted him to do it he will and we said that we will be delighted to have him as captain again,” said Mysore.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.