Trelawny Stadium in Jamaica to host two regional four-day matches after 11-year break

By December 05, 2019

For the first time in 11 years, regional four-day cricket matches will be played at the Trelawny Stadium in Jamaica.

Cricket West Indies has scheduled the fifth-round match between the Jamaica Scorpions and the Leeward Islands Hurricanes from February 13 to 16 at the venue, as well as the sixth-round match between the Scorpions and Guyana Jaguars from February 27 to March 1.

The competition is set to bowl off on Thursday, January 9, 2020.

 CWI director of cricket, Jimmy Adams, said the decision to have the Trelawny Stadium host the matches as part of a process to get the ground in shape.

 “It will be good to see the Trelawny Stadium hosting regional cricket again after so many years with this effort from the Jamaica Cricket Association to build its capacity in western Jamaica,” said Adams.

 Previously, only one West Indies Championship match has ever been played at the ground back in 2009, when current West Indies team operations manager Rawl Lewis led the Windward Islands to a three-wicket victory over Jamaica.

 The stadium that was completed in 2007 before the start of the ICC Cricket World Cup can seat 25,000, has been the stage for five other first-class matches – two involving international teams touring the Caribbean, and three involving West Indies ‘A’ and counterparts from Sri Lanka and England.

 Meanwhile, Adams said he was excited about the forthcoming West Indies Championship season, and working with the new West Indies senior selection panel to identify the next wave of players hoping to break into the West Indies Test team.

 “A new season is always an occasion for optimism as we expect performances from both established and rookie players within the system,” said Adams. 

“I’m sure the new selection panel under Roger Harper will be keen to cast their eyes over this competition which will wrap up our 2019-20 cricket season.”

 Five-time defending champions, Guyana Jaguars open their defence against the Leeward Islands Hurricanes at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground in a day/night contest played with a pink ball.

 This year’s championship marks a decade since CWI was the first member of the ICC to play a pink-ball match in its first-class competition, when Guyana and Trinidad & Tobago played from January 15 to 18, 2010.

 Pink-ball matches have now become a standard part of the championship and each team will play two of these games – home and away – under the tournament format.

 The other first-round matches include Trinidad & Tobago Red Force battling the Jamaica Scorpions at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Trinidad, and the Windward Islands Volcanoes tackling Barbados Pride at the Arnos Vale Cricket Ground in St. Vincent.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • 'I’ve been very disappointed in how things were handled' - former skipper Holder bemoans lack of reward for commitment from WI cricket 'I’ve been very disappointed in how things were handled' - former skipper Holder bemoans lack of reward for commitment from WI cricket

    Former Windies captain, Jason Holder, admits he has been left disappointed with how some things have been handled by West Indies cricket, particularly given his monetary sacrifices over the years.

    The 29-year-old, who made his debut for the West Indies in 2013, has been an ever-present in the regional team.  Since 2014, Holder, who has been both ODI and Test captain, has been on a retainer contract with Cricket West Indies (CWI), which gives the regional team priority in many instances.

    It has meant the sought-after player has perhaps been unable to ply his trade in some of the cash-rich cricket competitions around the globe, as they, at times, have clashed with regional engagements.

    “I could sit down here and safely say I’ve passed up a lot of money to play for West Indies. I could have been a lot more well off than I am. I consider myself really blessed because I’ve made a lot of money in my life for a guy my age…but I probably could have made a lot more but I’ve always had that desire to play for West Indies,” Holder told the Headstrong An Innings With… podcast.  The player was addressing the situation that arises when players are often forced between signing lucrative deals and representing the regional team.

    Holder was replaced as West Indies captain by, Kraigg Brathwaite, in March, after the latter’s strong showing in the team’s series against Bangladesh.  Holder was one of several players who declined to go on the tour.  The all-rounder cited health and safety concerns but also quarantine fatigue, as reasons he did not participate in the tour.

    While not getting into the specific instances to which he was referring, Holder expressed disappointment with the fact that he doesn’t believe that West Indies cricket has always been generous in their handling of players that have sacrificed a lot.

     “My disappointment, however, comes when players like myself give up so much to commit to West Indies cricket, and then West Indies cricket isn’t as accommodating as they possibly can. There have been a few instances where I’ve been very disappointed in how things were handled,” he added.

     

  • CWI rewards Da Silva, Bonner, Hosein with retainer contracts. Chase, Brooks, lose theirs CWI rewards Da Silva, Bonner, Hosein with retainer contracts. Chase, Brooks, lose theirs

    Cricket West Indies has awarded first-time international retainer contracts to Nkrumah Bonner, Joshua Da Silva, Akeal Hosein and Kyle Mayers while newly-appointed Test captain Kraigg Brathwaite and Darren Bravo received International contracts for red-ball and white-ball cricket, respectively.

    A total of 18 players have been offered contracts for the upcoming 2021-22 season which runs from July 1, 2021, to June 30, 2022.

    Meanwhile, Roston Chase, Shamarh Brooks and Shane Dowrich are among several who have lost their retainer contracts. Also losing their contracts were Sunil Ambris, Sheldon Cottrell, Shimron Hetmyer, Brandon King, Keemo Paul, Rovman Powell, Romario Shepherd and Oshane Thomas.

    “Contracts offered for the 2021-22 period sees 18 players being retained, a decrease of four from last year. Jason Holder is the only player to retain his all-format contract due to his strong Test and T20I performances during the evaluation period,” CWI Lead Selector Roger Harper confirmed.

    “There are several new players offered red-ball contracts earned by their strong performances during the last period. A number of players were not retained because they did not meet the minimum requirements.”

    CWI Director of Cricket, Jimmy Adams was pleased for the players who were retained.

    “I am happy for all the players who have been offered retainer contracts for the upcoming period. Especially pleasing was the number of players who were awarded first-time contracts in recognition of their performances during the period under review,” he said.

    “I know that the 11 players who have lost their international retainers will be striving and fighting hard to get back into the teams and earn their central contracts back next year.  These players, along with our T20 specialists, will ensure that we have genuine competition for places that will push everyone to attain higher standards of performance.”

    The evaluation period for the 2021-22 contracts covered performances and statistics from April 1, 2020, to April 1, 2021 (this was also supported by statistics from the previous 2019-2020 evaluation period). This allows for all players to be appraised immediately after the evaluation period and provides a notice period before new contracts on July 1, 2021.

    Below are the players who have been awarded retainer contracts.

    All-Format Contracts: Jason Holder.

    Red Ball Contracts: Kraigg Brathwaite, Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner*, Rahkeem Cornwall, Joshua Da Silva*, Shannon Gabriel, Kyle Mayers* and Kemar Roach.

    White Ball Contracts: Kieron Pollard, Fabien Allen, Darren Bravo, Shai Hope, Akeal Hosein*, Evin Lewis, Alzarri Joseph, Nicholas Pooran and Hayden Walsh Jr.

    *Players offered contracts for the first time in 2021-2022

    Players who are no longer receiving international retainer contracts are:

    All Format Contracts: Roston Chase.

    Red Ball Contracts: Shamarh Brooks and Shane Dowrich.

    White Ball Contracts: Sunil Ambris, Sheldon Cottrell, Shimron Hetmyer, Brandon King, Keemo Paul, Rovman Powell, Romario Shepherd and Oshane Thomas.

     All players who are no longer on International retainer contracts are offered an A* grade Regional Franchise Contract for the following year.

  • Eight England players return from India following suspension of IPL Eight England players return from India following suspension of IPL

    Eight of England's 11 players involved in the Indian Premier League have returned home following the indefinite suspension of the tournament.

    The decision to call a halt to this year's competition was taken on Tuesday amid the worsening COVID-19 pandemic in India.

    After two cases were confirmed among the Kolkata Knight Riders, Monday's game against Royal Challengers Bangalore was postponed. A Sunrisers Hyderabad player then also tested positive ahead of their fixture with Mumbai Indians.

    Focus is now on seeing participants leave the country safely, with fears players would need to self-isolate in India and also return a negative coronavirus test before attempting to get a flight.

    However, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Sam Billings, Chris Woakes, Moeen Ali and Jason Roy all boarded a flight that landed at Heathrow on Wednesday.

    They will have to quarantine in government-approved hotels for the next 10 days.

    The remaining three England players who were on duty - Eoin Morgan, Dawid Malan and Chris Jordan - are expected to leave India within the next 48 hours.

    Meanwhile, Cricket Australia boss Nick Hockley has confirmed the contingent of Australian IPL players will be moved to the Maldives or Sri Lanka in the coming days.

    The Australian government has blocked citizens returning home within 14 days of being in India, meaning they will first have to isolate elsewhere.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.