Sparks and Flames clash Friday in Sandals/JCA U19 Championships

By July 11, 2019

After four weeks of intense competition, the 2019 Sandals JCA U-19 Championship culminates with the final at the Trelawny Multipurpose Stadium on Friday, July 12.

The competition that bowled off on June 25 included over 60 of the country’s best national U-19 players who were divided into four teams – Northern Lights, Western Heat, Southern Sparks and Eastern Flames – competing in a round-robin format at venues across the island.

The top two teams - Southern Sparks and Eastern Flames coached by Burtram Barnes and Odean Brown – will contest Friday’s final.

The Eastern Flames topped the tables with 16 points (4 wins from 5 matches) while Southern Sparks finished second with three wins from five games.

JCA CEO Courtney Francis is excited by the talent that will be on display in Trelawny.

 “Young, promising batsmen like the right-handed Ricardo McIntosh, who represented the Jamaica U-19 last year, will be out on the pitch. His next stop is the national senior team and a local club. We continue to see growth in another right-hand batsman, Lennox Simpson. He has matriculated from representing Jamaica at the U-17 level,” he said.

“Our young bowlers are also impressing selectors. Pace Bowler Andre Morgan continues to send stumps and bails flying along with off-spinner Roberto Simpson. These two very efficient bowlers represented the Jamaica U-19s last year and I hope to see them impress regionally too. These are the future of Jamaica’s competitiveness across the region. I want the nation to pay attention.”

The competition, which is in its third year of sponsorship from Sandals and Rainforest Seafoods, is used to select of the national U-19 team which will participate in the CWI Regional U-19 Championships which commences on July 25 in Guyana.

Following the final tomorrow, the national U-19 Coach and Manager will be named and all the players in the competition will benefit from a week-long series of personal development workshops at Sabina Park.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • ICC suspends Cricket Zimbabwe ICC suspends Cricket Zimbabwe

    The ICC has suspended Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) with immediate effect to ensure the sport is kept free of political interference.

    State-owned enterprise the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) suspended the entire Zimbabwe Cricket board last month, with an interim committee appointed to run cricket in the country.

    SRC acted after issuing a directive that the governing body elective annual general meeting would be suspended amid allegations over the nomination process and the violation of ZC's constitution, along with "various other controversies".

    The international governing body has now taken the decision to strip Zimbabwe of full member status, which puts their hopes of featuring in the T20 World Cup next year in doubt.

    An ICC statement said: "The ICC board unanimously decided that the full member had failed to fulfil their obligation to provide a process for free and democratic elections and to ensure that there is no government interference in its administration for cricket.

    "ICC funding will be suspended, and representative teams from the country will be barred from participating at ICC events, putting their participation in October's men's T20 World Cup qualifier in jeopardy."

    ICC chairman Shashank Manohar said: "We do not take the decision to suspend a member lightly, but we must keep our sport free from political interference,

    "What has happened in Zimbabwe is a serious breach of the ICC Constitution and we cannot allow it to continue unchecked. The ICC wants cricket to continue in Zimbabwe in accordance with the ICC Constitution."

    The introduction of concussions replacements in internationals was also sanction at the ICC Annual Conference in London, with like-for-like replacements allowed to be made from the first Ashes Test between England and Australia next month - pending approval from the match referee.

    Another rule change sees captains no longer facing a ban for slow over-rates.

  • Time right for Gayle to walk away insists Roberts Time right for Gayle to walk away insists Roberts

    West Indies fast bowling great Andy Roberts has hailed star batsman Chris Gayle as one of the game’s ‘great players’ but is convinced the time is right to walk away.

    The 39-year-old Gayle had initially revealed plans to retire from international cricket following the ICC World Cup but seemed to have a change of heart just ahead of the tournament.  The batsman instead targeted the regional team’s home series against India as possibly his final matches for the West Indies.

    The batsman did not, however, have an outstanding World Cup, scoring a total of 242 runs in nine matches as the team limped to a ninth-place finish.  Roberts, however, does not believe the player’s form merits immediate selection to the squad for the series.

    “I watched Chris in the One Day series in the Caribbean [against England], I watched Chris in the World Cup and I am yet to see Chris Gayle play a cover drive on the ground in any of the innings he has played off the front foot. He takes his time early and I don’t know the reason because I’ve seen in the early that he gets a lot of balls to hit but he’s just playing himself in and then after that he just tries to hit everything out the ground and I don’t think youngsters can learn from that,” Roberts told the Antigua Observer.

    “Chris has been one of our great players and I make no bones in saying that, but the time has come that we have to let the greatness speak for itself instead of trying to go on to achieve what he didn’t do because most West Indians were hoping that he would do.”

  • Strauss warns England: Learn from 2005 Ashes and build dynasty off World Cup glory Strauss warns England: Learn from 2005 Ashes and build dynasty off World Cup glory

    Former director of cricket Andrew Strauss wants England to succeed where they failed in the wake of 2005 Ashes glory and build a dynasty off the back of their Cricket World Cup triumph.

    Strauss was part of the side that defeated Australia 2-1 in a thrilling home series 14 years ago and was then a key figure behind the scenes as England ripped up their white-ball strategy following a humiliating group-stage exit at the World Cup in 2015.

    Having been forced to step down from his director role last year to support his wife Ruth, who was being treated for terminal cancer, Strauss witnessed the culmination of his planning as Eoin Morgan's men edged New Zealand in an epic final at Lord's on Sunday.

    But Strauss issued a warning to the side ahead of the Ashes starting next month on the back of his own experiences as a player, when the Test side failed to win any of the three series following that famous 2005 win, before being whitewashed 5-0 in Australia when the battle for the urn was renewed in 2006-07.

    "I think there are a lot of similarities there," Strauss told Omnisport at the world premiere of 'The Edge'. "I think the lesson from 2005 is that was a high watermark and then we retreated back again.

    "We need to make this a sort of stepping stone to even bigger and better things. You can't beat winning a World Cup but you can create a dynasty for yourself in terms of performance.

    "But not just performance, how you are. We want our players to be people that people want to aspire to be. I think we've got a great group of players that are able to do that."

    Two of England's World Cup heroes, Jason Roy and Jofra Archer, are set to make the transition to the Test format – although the latter will only do so once he has recovered from a side strain.

    And Strauss sees no reason why the pair, full of confidence after Sunday's dramatic victory, cannot transfer their skills to the longer form.

    "I'm not sure either of them are actually white-ball specialists," Strauss added. "I think they've played white-ball cricket up until now, I think both of them are really well-seasoned to play Test cricket.

    "It's not going to be easy, Test cricket is a different game and it challenges you in different ways as well, but I think they'll be incredibly confident.

    "They've done it on the biggest stage of all which is a great hurdle to overcome, and we've got a great opportunity to beat the Aussies again, so let's take it."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.