CPL

Jofra Archer among record number of players for 2019 CPL draft

By May 15, 2019

A record 536 players from 20 countries as well as the West Indies have made themselves available for the 2019 CPL Draft that takes place in London on May 22.

Players like the hard-hitting Alex Hales; Rashid Khan, Shakib al Hasan, Jofra Archer and JP Duminy are among the players who will be hoping to display their considerable skills alongside home-grown talents like Andre Russell, Sunil Narine, Shimron Hetmyer and Shai Hope for the six CPL franchises.

“The fact that so many players have registered for our draft is a testament to the stature of our league, said Michael Hall, Hero CPL Tournament Operations Director.

“Playing cricket in the Caribbean is something that all players look forward to, and the CPL combines that allure with a high standard of cricket. We expect that this year’s tournament will be no different.”

Prior to the draft, each franchise will have the option to retain and/or acquire a maximum of six players, although there is no obligation to do so. The players they can potentially retain are a minimum of three West Indian players, a maximum of four; a maximum of one overseas player, reduced to none if four West Indians retained as well as a marquee player whether retained or acquired. Teams will also be required to have an ICC Americas Player, whether retained or acquired.

 All retentions will be announced during the live broadcast of the player draft which will be broadcast on the Hero CPL social media channels from 2 pm GMT on 22 May.

The final list of players who have made themselves available for the 2019 Hero Caribbean Premier League has been sent to teams ahead of the draft.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • 'Old-school' Simmons revels in victory as Kohli laments fielding woes 'Old-school' Simmons revels in victory as Kohli laments fielding woes

    Lendl Simmons revealed his "old-school" approach had been pivotal to his match-winning knock in West Indies' Twenty20 victory over India in Thiruvananthapuram.

    Simmons' unbeaten 67 from 45 balls helped the Windies to an eight-wicket triumph, ensuring the series will go to a decider as he capitalised on being dropped with just six runs to his name in one of several fielding errors to irk India captain Virat Kohli.

    Despite a slow start, Simmons soon accelerated through the gears and his eye-catching outing included four fours and the same number of sixes.

    As he was presented with the player of the match award, Simmons said the pacing of his innings was all part of the plan.

    "I like playing against India, it's a good challenge," he said, having been ably assisted by Evin Lewis (40), Nicholas Pooran (38 not out) and Shimron Hetmyer (23).

    "I haven't played international cricket for a while, so I'm enjoying it. I didn't start how I wanted to. My partners can go from ball one, but I am a bit old school.

    "With experience, you know your game, and I understand my role. It was easier to bat after the powerplay, getting the odd boundary.

    "Pooran and Hetmyer were getting boundaries easily so I played the different role."

    A frustrated Kohli conceded his side had come up short with their total of 170-7 but felt their complacency in the field had been telling.

    "I think we were good for 16 overs while batting, but then in the last four overs we got only 30. We need to focus on that," he said.

    "But if we field so poorly, no amount of runs will be enough. We were poor in the field in the last two games.

    "We dropped two catches in one over. Imagine if they lost two wickets in the same over.

    "Everyone saw we need to be braver with our fielding. Do or die game coming up in Mumbai [on Wednesday]."

  • Simmons sinks India to set up T20 series decider Simmons sinks India to set up T20 series decider

    Lendl Simmons guided West Indies to an eight-wicket thumping of India in the second Twenty20 international in Thiruvananthapuram, setting up a series decider in Mumbai on Wednesday.

    Simmons finished unbeaten on 67 from 45 balls, having received able support from Evin Lewis (40), Shimron Hetmyer (23) and the returning Nicholas Pooran (38 not out) as the Windies reached a target of 171 with nine deliveries unused.

    Shivam Dube had earlier compiled a maiden half-century for the hosts, impressing with 54 from 30 balls after being surprisingly promoted to number three, yet Virat Kohli's men were ultimately overpowered as West Indies hit 12 sixes to India's five.

    The tourists were 26 without loss after five overs, but they accelerated in devastating fashion thereafter to win with ease.

    Simmons was the star turn, hitting four fours and as many sixes as he took full advantage of being dropped by Washington Sundar on six, while Pooran scored at a strike-rate of 211 on his comeback from a four-match ban for ball-tampering.

    Lewis and Hetmyer also provided the necessary impetus to get the Windies ahead of the required rate, the latter thumping three maximums before falling victim to a stunning Virat Kohli catch at long-on, which saw India's captain take the ball on the run before contorting his body superbly to avoid touching the boundary rope.

    India were left to rue Sundar putting down a routine chance off Bhuvneshwar Kumar to give Simmons an early life, though, and Lewis was also dropped on 17 by wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant.

    Dube, who cleared the ropes four times, and Pant (33 not out) were the only home batsmen to make significant contributions to a score of 170-7, as the Windies' attack kept things relatively tight despite conceding a glut of extras.

  • Lakmal contracts dengue fever, withdraws from Sri Lanka squad Lakmal contracts dengue fever, withdraws from Sri Lanka squad

    Suranga Lakmal has withdrawn from Sri Lanka's squad to face Pakistan after contracting dengue fever.

    The fast bowler will not travel with his team-mates on Sunday and has been replaced by Asitha Fernando.

    Sri Lanka confirmed the news in a tweet as the squad was preparing to depart for two Tests in Rawalpindi and Karachi.

    Lakmal's absence aside, the tourists boast a full-strength squad, in stark contrast to the one that headed to Pakistan in September and October, when 10 high-profile players withdrew amid security concerns. 

    The opening Test begins on December 11 and will be the first in Pakistan in a decade.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.