IPL

'We need match-winners'- Kings XI batting coach hopes to see Gayle soon

By Sports Desk October 06, 2020

Kings XI Punjab batting coach, Wasim Jaffer,  has assured fans they will see West Indies batting legend Chris Gayle soon and insists the player is hungry to make his debut in this season’s Indian Premier League (IPL).

The 41-year-old T20 superstar is yet to make an appearance for Kings XI who are off to a slow start to the IPL season.  After 5 games, the team sits at the bottom of the table with just one win and four losses.  The team has, however, so far not necessarily struggled with batting, having scored over 200 in two of the five games.

Jaffer, however, believes that Gayle’s match-winning capabilities could yet help the team turn their poor form around.

“It should happen soon. As I said, it needs to happen sooner than later. We don’t want to bring them when every game is a must-win game. Hopefully, we will have those guys featuring soon,” Jaffer told news agency Press Trust of India from Dubai.

“Chris looks very much ready and is keen to get on to the park, he has been training really well and has looked really good in the nets,” Wasim Jaffer said.

“He is such an impact player, we all know what he can do. I hope he turns up and turns it on straight away and changes the tide for all of us. He looks hungry and that is a very good sign for the franchise,” he added.

“I am hoping he plays quickly. We need match-winners, as many as possible. Not just for the next game, also for the rest of the tournament as he can easily win you four-five games on his own,” he further said.

Related items

  • Gayle, Edwards, Bravo included in Windies T20 squad for upcoming tours - recalls for Hetmyer, Thomas, Cottrell Gayle, Edwards, Bravo included in Windies T20 squad for upcoming tours - recalls for Hetmyer, Thomas, Cottrell

    The veteran trio of Chris Gayle, Fidel Edwards, and Dwayne Bravo have all been included in a provisional 18-man squad released by Cricket West Indies, ahead of a flurry of upcoming international matches.

    As part of preparations for the upcoming World T20 championships the Windies, the defending champions, will be involved in three back-to-back five-match T20 International (T20I) series against South Africa, Australia, and Pakistan.

    The squad, which will be captained by Kieron Pollard, will also see the return of the likes of Sheldon Cottrell, Shimron Hetmyer, Andre Russell, Oshane Thomas, and Hayden Walsh Jr.  The players missed out on being selected for the team’s previous T20 international series against Sri Lanka, which was won 2-1 by the regional team.

    Windies coach Phil Simmons has praised the squad as a combination of experience and youth.

    “These upcoming T20Is are crucial in terms of our preparation for the ICC T20 World Cup. We have assembled a very solid squad — with experienced world-class match-winners and some exciting young talented players, ready to explode onto the global stage and do great things for West Indies cricket,” Simmons said.

     “We are at that point where we have identified those who we will look to be the core of the squad to defend our World Cup title, so we want to make sure the upcoming matches create that environment — the way we train, the way we plan, the way we execute and the chemistry within the group. We won five years ago, so the next few weeks and months will be major steppingstones on the road towards defending our title and being World Champions for the third time.”

     

    FULL SQUAD SELECTED:

    1. Kieron Pollard – Captain
    2. Nicholas Pooran – Vice-Captain
    3. Fabian Allen
    4. Dwayne Bravo
    5. Sheldon Cottrell
    6. Fidel Edwards
    7. Andre Fletcher
    8. Chris Gayle
    9. Shimron Hetmyer
    10. Jason Holder
    11. Akeal Hosein
    12. Evin Lewis
    13. Obed McCoy
    14. Andre Russell
    15. Lendl Simmons
    16. Kevin Sinclair
    17. Oshane Thomas
    18. Hayden Walsh Jr
  • De Villiers' international retirement is now 'final', won't take part in Windies tour confirm South Africa De Villiers' international retirement is now 'final', won't take part in Windies tour confirm South Africa

    Former South Africa batsman AB de Villiers will not be making a return to international cricket.

    De Villiers has not been named in any of the Proteas' squads to face West Indies and Ireland next month.

    After talks about a potential comeback ahead of the World Twenty20 concluded, no agreement was reached and the 37-year-old's retirement is now final.

    "AB de Villiers finalises [his] international retirement," read a statement from Cricket South Africa on Tuesday.

    "Discussions with AB de Villiers have concluded with the batsman deciding once and for all that his retirement will remain final."

    De Villiers had also been linked with a comeback before the 2019 Cricket World Cup, but ended up not being selected after making a last-gasp offer to play in the tournament.

    The veteran last played for South Africa in a Test match against Australia back in March 2018.

    He played in 114 Tests for the Proteas and scored 8,765 runs at an average of 50.66, with 22 centuries as well as taking 222 catches, 101 of those as a wicketkeeper.

    De Villiers was even more impressive in the ODI format, averaging 53.50 and racking up 25 hundreds in 228 appearances, while he also played in 78 T20Is.

    South Africa will play two Tests and five T20Is against West Indies before three ODIs and three T20Is against Ireland.

    Six uncapped players were named in the Test squad: Prenelan Subrayen, Lizaad Williams, Kyle Verreynne, Keegan Petersen, Sarel Erwee and Marco Jansen.

    Dean Elgar will lead the 19-man squad for the first time as permanent Test skipper after replacing Quinton de Kock.

  • Time to move on - Australia bowlers protest innocence after Bancroft remark Time to move on - Australia bowlers protest innocence after Bancroft remark

    Australia bowlers Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins and Nathan Lyon have called for an end to "rumour mongering and innuendo" around the 2018 ball-tampering scandal.

    Then-captain Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were banned by Cricket Australia after all three were implicated in a plot to alter the condition of the ball with sandpaper during a 322-run defeat to South Africa at Newlands in March 2018.

    Bancroft, who was caught on camera rubbing what was initially thought to be yellow sticky tape on the ball, was punished along with Smith and Warner, the latter as vice-captain also part of Australia's "leadership group".

    Head coach Darren Lehman was cleared of any wrong-doing at the time and later stepped down, while the bowling attack of Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon were also said to be in the dark.

    In an interview with The Guardian last weekend, Bancroft was asked whether the bowlers knew what was going on and replied: "Uh … yeah, look, I think, yeah, I think it's pretty probably self-explanatory."

    Cricket Australia invited Bancroft to come forward with any further information after it conducted a full investigation at the time.

    In a joint statement published on Starc's website, the Australian bowlers stridently denied any wrongdoing and said it was "time to move on".

    "We pride ourselves on our honesty. So it’s been disappointing to see that our integrity has been questioned by some journalists and past players in recent days in regard to the Cape Town Test of 2018," the statement read.

    "We have already answered questions many times on this issue, but we feel compelled to put the key facts on the record again.

    "We did not know a foreign substance was taken onto the field to alter the condition of the ball until we saw the images on the big screen at Newlands."

    Umpires Nigel Long and Richard Illingworth inspected the condition of the ball after Bancroft appeared to tamper with it and did not find enough damage to change it – something Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon chose to highlight.

    The statement added: "None of this excuses what happened on the field that day at Newlands. It was wrong and it should never have happened.

    "We've all learned valuable lessons and we'd like to think the public can see a change for the better in terms of the way we play, the way we behave and respect the game. Our commitment to improving as people and players will continue.

    "We respectfully request an end to the rumour-mongering and innuendo. It has gone on too long and it is time to move on."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.