Warner offers no excuses after Australia batting collapse

By Sports Desk September 04, 2020

David Warner said there were "no excuses" for Australia after a remarkable collapse saw England seal a stunning victory in the first Twenty20 international in Southampton.

Australia – the world's top-ranked T20 side – looked to be cruising to victory when openers Aaron Finch (46) and Warner (58) got them off to a strong start as they bid to chase down England's meagre 162-7, a total boosted by Dawid Malan (66).

Yet a glut of wickets resulted in the tourists, playing for the first time since March due to the coronavirus pandemic, needing 15 from the last over.

Despite the efforts of Marcus Stoinis (23 not out), England held on for a two-run triumph, a result which left Warner, who insisted Australia must improve on finding the boundary during difficult spells in the middle of the innings, reeling.

"There's no excuses there. I think the guys were outplayed to be honest. Well executed by England at the end and we just couldn't get across the line," Warner told a news conference.

"When you're losing wickets, trying to get momentum out there. I pride myself on being there at the end but you can't help getting good deliveries.

"When you're chasing a run a ball, good shots get you close to that end result. It's disappointing because I think it's three or four games in a row now.

"You've got to work out the wicket as the ball gets older. They were bashing a length, it was quite inconsistent. We've played practice games on this which but we felt it was a bit different at night. You've got to assess those conditions when you're out there but we've been playing this game a long time and we should be able to do that.

"I felt we did, we just didn't hit the boundaries as much as we'd have liked through that middle period.

"We'll have a chat on what to work on for the next game, how to apply that. We're playing the next two games on this wicket but the next game is a day game, so that could be a bit drier and a little bit different."

There was one positive for Warner, at least.

"From a crowd perspective, no," Warner said when asked if the match felt like a game between England and Australia without fans in attendance.

"It was the first time I've been here and not got abuse. It was quite nice!

"But yet again, you get that up and going [from the crowd]. That's why we love playing home and away. There's home advantage and away advantage. It was a bit bizarre, but we're always up for international cricket. We're just grateful to be back playing and want to make the most of that."

Related items

  • 'Quality' Hope still Windies best batsman' - WI legend Dujon backs player to figure things out after dismal run of form 'Quality' Hope still Windies best batsman' - WI legend Dujon backs player to figure things out after dismal run of form

    West Indies legendary wicketkeeper Jeffrey Dujon is convinced that Shai Hope remains the team’s best batsman, despite recently running into a rough patch of form.

    The 27-years-old Hope was dropped from the team last year ahead of the West Indies tour of November.  The decision followed several months of off-colour form, which saw return scores of 16, 9, 25, 7, 17, and 31 during the team’s three-Test tour of England in July.  In Test cricket, the player averaged 19.48 since December 2017 and just 14.45 since February 2019.

    The decision to drop the player, however, still stirred vigorous debate with many arguing that he should have been allowed to play his way back into form.  For his part, Dujon has backed the player to figure things sooner, rather than later.

    “There’s no question in my mind that he is the best batsman that we have,” Dujon told the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “Technically he is very good, from the very first time I saw him, I thought he was very good and talking to him and getting to know him, I know he is smart enough to work it out when things aren’t going right,” he added.

    “He might have gotten his technique a little bit mixed up because of the competitions he was playing in, but I don’t see that lasting very long because he has quality.  You don’t go to England and be immortal and not be able to bat.”

    Hope grabbed headlines around the world in 2017, becoming the first batsman to score twin hundreds in a match at Headingly in first-class cricket.

  • Uncapped Odogwu and Randall earn first England call-ups for Six Nations squad Uncapped Odogwu and Randall earn first England call-ups for Six Nations squad

    Wasps back Paolo Odogwu and Bristol scrum-half Harry Randall have won their first England call-ups for the Six Nations.

    Bath prop Beno Obano is the third uncapped player to be named by Eddie Jones in the 28-man squad.

    Courtney Lawes returns from injury, while Mako Vunipola, who last played in the Autumn Nations Cup final win over France, will join the squad for rehabilitation but be unavailable for selection.

    Wasps flanker Jack Willis and Bath's Jonathan Joseph only make the 12-man shadow squad, while Kyle Sinckler, who is banned for the opening game against Scotland on February 6, is not in either group.

    Owen Farrell will retain his position as captain.

    The squad will meet up at St. George's Park on January 27, with coach Jones, who is isolating after assistant Matt Proudfoot tested positive for coronavirus, set to arrive a day later.

    "This has been a really tough squad to pick and I know there are a lot of disappointed players who haven't been selected," said Jones.

    "We're really excited by the players we have got, it's a very vibrant squad and are looking forward to getting started next week.

    "We're very grateful to the Premiership Rugby, the clubs and RPA [Rugby Players Association] for allowing us to have 28 players throughout the tournament, we're very happy with the number and it's testament to the growing relationships between all parties.

    "Ultimately our goal is to win the Six Nations and to do that we'll need to work hard and prepare well each day and take it as it comes."

    England squad:

    Forwards: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tom Curry, Ben Earl, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Joe Launchbury, Courtney Lawes, Joe Marler, Beno Obano, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola, Harry Williams, Mark Wilson.

    Backs: Elliot Daly, Owen Farrell, George Ford, Ollie Lawrence, Max Malins, Jonny May, Paolo Odogwu, Harry Randall, Dan Robson, Henry Slade, Anthony Watson, Ben Youngs.

    Shadow squad: Charlie Atkinson, Ali Crossdale, Tom Dunn, Charlie Ewels, George Furbank, Joe Heyes, Jonathan Joseph, Joe Marchant, George Martin, Alex Mitchell, Jacob Umaga, Jack Willis.

  • Spin twins Shakib, Mehidy have been too much for Windies admits skipper Mohammed Spin twins Shakib, Mehidy have been too much for Windies admits skipper Mohammed

    West Indies stand-captain, Jason Mohammed, admits the team’s inability to cope with top-class spinners has been the primary reason it has been unable to post higher totals.

    Batting first in both ODIs played to date, being inserted to bat in the first and choosing to bat first in the second, the regional team fell below 150 runs on both occasions.  The stifling spin bowling of Mehidy Hasan and Shakib Al Hasan proved to be a major contributing factor in keeping the West Indies batsmen in straitjackets on both occasions.

    Al Hasan claimed a jaw-dropping 4 for 8 runs in the first ODI, with an extraordinary miserly economy rate of 1.09 as the West Indies were restricted to 122.  In the second, it was Mehidy who applied the restraints, claiming 4 for 25 with an economy rate of 2.59.  The West Indies were restricted to 148 before Bangladesh easily chased down the target.

    “They are two quality spinners, especially Shakib, one of the best in the world and Mehidy has been playing very well for Bangladesh as well,” Mohammed said of facing off against the pair.

    “They have been good, and we haven’t been able to manage them, that’s why we have been getting those low totals.”

    Rovman Powell was the team’s top scorer with 41 in the second ODI, while Kyle Mayers led the way with 40 in the first ODI.  The West Indies and Bangladesh will face off for the final ODI on Monday at 12:30 am.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.