Coronavirus: ECB confirm further delay to domestic season

By Sports Desk May 28, 2020

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have confirmed there will be no domestic cricket played before August 1 due to coronavirus.

While England are set to go up against West Indies in a behind-closed-doors Test series in July, the County Championship and Twenty20 Blast will not go ahead until at least August.

England's domestic season had already been delayed twice, but with uncertainty over the coronavirus pandemic continuing, the planned start date of July 1 has been pushed back a further month.

An ECB statement released on Thursday said: "The specifics of the season remain subject to ongoing advice from UK government and health experts, but the ambition remains to host domestic men's and women's cricket across England and Wales later this summer.

"The Professional Game Group (PGG) will look to outline a number of opportunities for domestic play, which will be presented to the ECB Board in June.

"These plans include a number of options for both red-ball and white-ball cricket including matches played at all first class grounds, the use of a regional group model as well as consideration for matches played behind closed doors or with a limited number of supporters while strictly adhering to government guidance on social distancing.

"As the ongoing COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, these scenarios will be worked on and assessed."

Recreational cricket is also still on hold, with nets and training facilities only allowed to be used for exercise.

ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said: "Naturally we want to see cricket being played at every level. We remain hopeful of seeing both domestic and recreational cricket this season and planning with the PGG has allowed us to map a number of potential scenarios for domestic play.

"Across the recreational game it has been heart-warming to hear of clubs where players have returned to the nets.

"As children start returning to school in the coming weeks, we look forward to exploring how those guidelines and learnings can be deployed for cricket. This can then see the recreational game continue its phased return as soon as we have government approval."

Related items

  • 'Hope should drop T20 cricket' - WI legend Lloyd believes shortest format spoiling player's batting 'Hope should drop T20 cricket' - WI legend Lloyd believes shortest format spoiling player's batting

    West Indies legend Clive Lloyd does not believe discarded batsman Shai Hope should be playing T20 cricket as it is possibly running his game.

    After a barren run of form, which has led to the player averaging 19.48 since December 2017 and just 14.45 since February 2019, Hope was dropped from the team ahead of the tour of New Zealand.  Not surprisingly, since his struggles in a 2-1 defeat against England, a place where he made headline three years ago, saw his overall Test average slip to 26.27.

    The 26-year-old is one of a few players to represent the regional team in all three formats.  He has not had these struggles in One Day Internationals where he averages 52.20 from 78 games.  In T20s, however, he averages 21.63 in 13 matches with a strike rate of 136.

    It is his involvement in the later that the former West Indies skipper believes could be a problem.

    “I don’t think this T20 is for Shai Hope, he gets into bad habits,” Lloyd told the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “I know that you don’t want to take away money from people, but the point is that he should not be playing in T20, it is destroying his cricket,” he added.

    Lloyd also believes the player should have been possibly included in the A-team for the tour, instead of being left out of the squad entirely.

    “If we had A-teams and A-team tours, young Shai Hope should have had a stint with the A-team to build his confidence back as England did with Nasser Hussain and Ramprakash.

  • Pakistan and Zimbabwe start bid for World Cup qualification in Rawalpindi Pakistan and Zimbabwe start bid for World Cup qualification in Rawalpindi

    Pakistan will be expected to continue their ODI winning streak when Babar Azam's reign starts with a three-match series against Zimbabwe on Friday.

    Babar will take charge of his country for the first time in the 50-over format at Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium, where all three matches will be staged, after succeeding Sarfraz Ahmed.

    Chamu Chibhabha has been charged with the task of leading Zimbabwe when ODI cricket returns to Rawalpindi for the first time since 2006.

    No fans will be allowed in for the first internationals to take place in Pakistan since the coronavirus outbreak ground sport to a halt. 

    Pakistan have their sights set on maximum points in the ICC World Cricket Super League as they bid to secure automatic qualification for the 2023 Cricket World Cup in India.

    We use Opta data to preview the series, which will see Douglas Hondo take over as head coach of the tourists after Lalchand Rajput opted against making the trip.

    - This is set to be the 13th multi-game men's bilateral ODI series between the two nations. Pakistan have won 11 of those and the other was drawn.

    - Pakistan have won 52 of their 57 completed ODIs versus Zimbabwe (T1 L4) and they are on a six-game winning run against them in the 50-over format.

    - Zimbabwe have suffered 17 defeats in their 18 ODIs in Pakistan (W1); they have lost both contests at Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

    - The tourists are playing their first international in Pakistan since May 2015. They have not been victorious in any game in the country since recording a seven-wicket Test win back in 1998.

    - Pakistan have put together a six-game winning ODI streak. They lost 13 times in 14 matches before this run.

    - Zimbabwe are one shy of a 500th international defeat. The tourists have only managed to win 168 games, drawing 28 and securing a tie in nine.

    - Fakhar Zaman has scored 515 runs in five ODI innings versus Zimbabwe, averaging 257.5. That is the best rate ever recorded by a batsman against a single opponent in men's ODI cricket (minimum 400 runs).

    - No bowler claimed more wickets than Faheem Ashraf (nine) when Pakistan took on Zimbabwe in their last ODI bilateral series, picking those scalps up for just 67 runs.

  • Six Nations 2020: Youngs to seal century of England caps in Rome Six Nations 2020: Youngs to seal century of England caps in Rome

    Ben Youngs will win his 100th cap for England in their long-delayed Six Nations clash with Italy on Saturday.

    The 31-year-old Leicester Tigers scrum-half will become just the second England player to tot up a century of appearances, after Jason Leonard, who won 114 caps from 1990 to 2004.

    England's starting XV for the match at Rome's Stadio Olimpico shows seven changes to the side that beat Wales 33-30 in March, before the championship was suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

    Most are forced on coach Eddie Jones by injury, with Elliot Daly, Manu Tuilagi, George Ford, Joe Marler, Courtney Lawes and Mark Wilson all sidelined, while George Kruis misses out as he heads to Japan to continue his career.

    Hooker Jamie George wins a 50th cap, and he and Youngs will lead out the team, which will be captained by Owen Farrell.

    Into the side comes full-back George Furbank, with Jonathan Joseph and Henry Slade lining up at centre as Farrell moves to fly-half, while Billy Vunipola and Mako Vunipola feature in the pack along with George and the uncapped Exeter Chiefs lock Jonny Hill.

    Jones, whose side will be chasing a bonus-point win that would keep them in title contention ahead of Ireland's clash with France later in the day, said: "We've trained with good intensity this week and the squad are excited by the challenge of performing at our best against Italy.

    "The team have prepared well and are looking forward to putting on an England shirt and showing what they can do.

    "We will also celebrate two major achievements in Ben Youngs' and Jamie George's cap milestones.  It's testimony to their skill, hard work and love of playing for England, and there is more to come from both of them."

     

    England: George Furbank, Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Henry Slade, Jonny May, Owen Farrell, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Jamie George, Kyle Sinckler, Maro Itoje, Jonny Hill, Tom Curry, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola.

    Replacements: Tom Dunn, Ellis Genge, Will Stuart, Charlie Ewels, Ben Earl, Dan Robson, Ollie Lawrence, Ollie Thorley.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.