Du Plessis: Wanderers Test could be my last at home

By Sports Desk January 20, 2020

Faf du Plessis insists he still plans to continue as South Africa captain until at least the T20 World Cup but admits the fourth Test against England could be his last on home soil.

The Proteas trail England 2-1 with one match remaining in Johannesburg, having been thrashed by an innings and 53 runs at St George's Park on Monday.

It has been rumoured skipper Du Plessis could end his Test career after the four-match series, despite previously describing the limited-overs tournament in Australia later this year as "a crossroad in my career".

The 35-year-old said in his post-match presentation he had "heard the rumours of a possible retirement" but "nothing has changed".

However, speaking at a news conference, he recognised the Wanderers could see his final home appearance in the longest format, as he will not consider quitting mid-series.

"I have committed until the T20 World Cup," Du Plessis said. "There isn't a lot of Test cricket left this year.

"One massive Test where we need everyone to be as strong as possible. Afterwards, there is quite a big gap.

"I have said before, there is an opportunity to release some of the captaincy. Two Test matches in the West Indies [in July], and the rest of the year is white-ball stuff.

"Most probably, after that, Test cricket will be something that won't see me. That's a decision I will make then. For me now, it's to be as strong as possible."

Dismissing the idea of quitting before the fourth Test, he said: "I don't think that's what's leadership is about.

"I felt that the team has needed a leader to stand up and guide the ship through a difficult time. If you leave the team when they need you most, that's not my style.

"I have been under pressure a few times and I've played my best innings under pressure. I can't leave the team when they need me most.

"We are in a transition but I can't do it forever. It has been chipping away at your character. For now, that's what we need. I think it will make it worse if I say I'm out."

South Africa will be without suspended strike bowler Kagiso Rabada when they attempt to draw the series, but Du Plessis is also concerned by his batting unit.

The Proteas never threatened to push England in the third Test, their biggest partnership of the second innings by far a 10th-wicket stand of 99 between Keshav Maharaj (71) and Dane Paterson (39 not out).

"[Missing Rabada] is a big frustration, disappointment," Du Plessis said. "He's our best bowler, and it's not the first time that we've lost him in what will be a crucial game for us.

"We're already a little bit light on experience in our Test unit. He will be a huge loss - that's just the cards that we've been dealt. We've got to make the best of it. There's no using excuses for that.

"We have to regroup, have some firm chats over the next few days about where we need to get better, and make sure we move forward. We've shown signs of that.

"With the bowling, our controlling of the rate has been something we've been good at. Kesh [Maharaj] had a five-for, which showed this wicket was made for the spinners. There were a lot of wickets taken by the spinners.

"The same thing is happening with the batting unit - we're not putting on big totals. If you look at England, it's just one or two guys that put their hands up and score big hundreds.

"One big partnership gives you that momentum that you need, so we need to be better."

Related items

  • England complete sweep of Windies Women England complete sweep of Windies Women

    In a rain-shortened contest, reduced to five overs per team, West Indies came close but lost to England by three wickets in the fifth and final T20 International.

    Showers all day forced a late start at the Incaro County Ground on Wednesday and the visitors scored a challenging 41 for 3 off their 30 balls faced. Deandra Dottin made 11 off seven balls including a historic six, which was the 100th of her T20I career, she is the first woman to achieve this milestone.

    Fast bowler Shamilia Connell demonstrated superb control in her two overs. She took three wickets – one from a stupendous diving catch by captain Stafanie Taylor at extra cover. The strongly-built fast bowler ended with career-best figures of 3-14 to take home the Player-of-the-Match award. England reached 42-7 off 4.3 overs – to record their fifth win of the series.

  • WI Women being left behind - former Sri Lanka cricketer Arnold believes team must focus more on fitness WI Women being left behind - former Sri Lanka cricketer Arnold believes team must focus more on fitness

    Former Sri Lankan cricketer turned commentator Russell Arnold believes West Indies Women have been left behind, in terms of their physical fitness and capability, with teams like Australia, India and England putting greater emphasis in those areas.

    The ongoing T20 series in England has been largely a one-sided affair, with the hosts cruising out to a 4-0 lead.  In addition, England has secured margins of 40 runs and above in three of the four matches played so far.  Even if the regional team could use rust as a factor, there was also the series against Australia last year, where the team lost 3-0 in an ODI series, before also losing 3-0 in a T20 international series.

    In 2016, the West Indies Women defeated Australia to claim the World T20 title and previously scored victories over England.

    Russell believes a major part of the gulf in recent results has to do with how the big three teams are preparing physically.

    “The other teams are going way ahead. I know a lot of focus is being put on the Australian team, on making them better athletes.  They are a lot faster, a lot stronger, they can really hit a ball, they are more agile.  That's where they are getting ahead,” Arnold told the Mason and Guest Radio program.

    “Teams like the West Indies are still relying on the flair.  So now and again, when something comes off you will win a game but to get the consistency to improve, these are the things you need to focus on,” he added.

    “A few years ago you would say New Zealand is up there with England and Australia, but the New Zealand Women have fallen off because the other teams are totally focused on improving not only their skills but also their athleticism, which allows for better performances.  It’s a case of the lesser teams not being able to focus on those areas or not focusing.”

     

  • Bairstow loses England Test central contract Bairstow loses England Test central contract

    Jonny Bairstow has lost his England Test contract and Mark Wood has also missed out, but Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope and Dom Sibley have all been handed central deals.

    Bairstow had a red-ball contract for the 2019-20 season despite struggling for form.

    But after featuring just once for the Test team in the past year - scoring only 10 runs in the Boxing Day Test in South Africa - the Yorkshire star has not seen his deal renewed.

    Bairstow will instead have only a white-ball contract, as will fast bowler Wood.

    The Durham seamer has played three times for the red-ball team this year, impressing in the tour of South Africa, where he took nine wickets in Johannesburg.

    But Wood fell down the pecking order as England returned home, with James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Jofra Archer, Sam Curran and Chris Woakes often preferred.

    By contrast, there was good news for Crawley, Pope and Sibley, who have established themselves in Joe Root's Test squad.

    Crawley has steadily improved since his November 2019 debut, smashing 267 in his first innings against Pakistan last month.

    Pope has been a regular this year, too, and had an unbeaten century in South Africa, while Sibley's steady work has bolstered a previously flimsy top order.

    Meanwhile, Tom Curran had an increment contract for the previous campaign but now has a white-ball deal. Joe Denly has missed out altogether.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.