Philander to retire from internationals after England Test series

By Sports Desk December 23, 2019

South Africa seamer Vernon Philander has announced he will retire from international cricket next month following his country's home Test series against England.

One of the leading bowlers in Test cricket since his debut in 2011, Philander has taken 216 wickets from 60 appearances in the five-day game, at a superb average of 22.16.

The 34-year-old, part of a Proteas team that reached number one in the Test rankings, has also claimed a further 45 scalps in the limited-overs formats, along with a total of 1,784 international runs.

"I will be retiring from international cricket at the conclusion of the Test series against England. I feel that it is the appropriate time to conclude what has been an amazing journey," said Philander in a statement released by Cricket South Africa (CSA).

"It has been a honour and privilege to have played alongside the very best in the game as well as being part of the best Test team for a number of years."

Philander received fulsome praise from CSA's director of cricket, Graeme Smith.

"Vernon has been an outstanding performer in the time that he has represented his country, especially in the Test format," said Smith, a former team-mate of the bowler.

"He has made a huge impact for the Proteas and has been at the frontline with the ball for most of his time in the set-up. He has given his best in every appearance and I think that how he has turned himself into an all-rounder has been particularly pleasing to watch.

"One of the many things that has stood out for me with Vern is his character. His determination and the way that he has always been up for a fight and a challenge has shown the heart of the man.

"He has really done himself and his family proud and I hope he can finish his final series for South Africa with the same character and flair that has become synonymous with him."

CSA's interim CEO, Jacques Faul, added: "Vernon has made a huge contribution to the success of the Proteas over the past years, particularly in Test cricket. The finest tribute one can pay is that he briefly overtook our acknowledged champion, Dale Steyn, as the number-one ranked bowler in Test cricket."

Related items

  • Inter sign Vidal from Barcelona Inter sign Vidal from Barcelona

    Inter have completed the signing of midfielder Arturo Vidal from Barcelona, the Italian club announced on Tuesday.

    The Chile international, who previously worked with Inter head coach Antonio Conte at Juventus, had spent the past two seasons at Camp Nou.

    Vidal featured 43 times for Barca last season but was deemed surplus to requirements by new Blaugrana boss Ronald Koeman and is the third midfielder to depart this window, along with Ivan Rakitic and Arthur.

    Inter confirmed the signing on their official website and are reported to have paid €1million plus add-ons for the 33-year-old.

    Vidal, who was into the final year of his Barca contract, has also previously represented Colo-Colo, Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich.

    Barcelona captain Lionel Messi sent Vidal a farewell message on Instagram before the move was confirmed, telling the Chilean: "I only knew you from facing each other and you always seemed like a phenomenon to me, but later I was lucky to meet you personally and you surprised me even more.

    "They were two years sharing many things and you made yourself noticed. The dressing room is going to miss you.

    "I wish you all the best in this new stage at your new club. We will cross paths again, for sure."

    As well as thanking Messi, Vidal sent a message to all involved with Barcelona, saying those he met during his time at the club would be "always in my heart".

    "I am very proud to have worn this shirt and for having played alongside great players and very good people," Vidal wrote.

    "I want to thank my family, my team-mates, the coaches, the doctors, the staff and all the wonderful fans who always showed me a lot of love."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Inter sign Vidal from Barcelona BREAKING NEWS: Inter sign Vidal from Barcelona

    Inter have completed the signing of midfielder Arturo Vidal from Barcelona, the Italian club announced on Tuesday.

    The Chile international, who previously worked with Inter head coach Antonio Conte at Juventus, had spent the past two seasons at Camp Nou.

    Vidal featured 43 times for Barca last season but was deemed surplus to requirements by new Blaugrana boss Ronald Koeman and is the third midfielder to depart this window, along with Ivan Rakitic and Arthur.

    Inter confirmed the signing on their official website and are reported to have paid €1million plus add-ons for the 33-year-old.

    Vidal, who was into the final year of his Barca contract, has also previously represented Colo-Colo, Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich.

  • Coronavirus: UK government pauses plans for fans' October return to sporting events in England Coronavirus: UK government pauses plans for fans' October return to sporting events in England

    The United Kingdom government has paused plans for the return of fans to live sporting events in England from October 1 due to the rise in coronavirus cases.

    On Monday, the COVID-19 alert level in the UK was raised to a four, meaning transmission of the virus is "high or exponentially rising", with prime minister Boris Johnson set to outline fresh measures to halt the increase in cases.

    Plans to bring supporters back into stadia were placed under review earlier this month and pilot events were restricted to 1,000 people in attendance.

    However, government minister Michael Gove confirmed to BBC Breakfast on Tuesday that pilot schemes were now on hold, as are plans for fans to return in staged phases, representing a major blow to a struggling sports sector.

    "We were looking at a staged programme of more people returning – it wasn't going to be the case that we were going to have stadiums thronged with fans," Gove said.

    "We're looking at how we can, for the moment, pause that programme, but what we do want to do is to make sure that, as and when circumstances allow, get more people back.

    "The virus is less likely to spread outdoors than indoors but again it's in the nature of major sporting events that there's a lot of mingling."

    Sport has been taking place mainly behind closed doors in the UK since it returned following a full lockdown in March.

    Approximately 300 spectators were granted access to the World Snooker Championship final at the Crucible in Sheffield, while a friendly between Brighton and Hove Albion and Chelsea in August saw 2,500 fans allowed into the Amex Stadium.

    But Gove said the decision has been taken in part due to the criticism the government received for allowing full attendances to sporting events in March, when COVID-19 was posing a growing threat.

    The decision to allow the Champions League last-16 match between Liverpool and Atletico Madrid to go ahead brought scrutiny with Liverpool council probing the impact it had on the spread of the disease, while there is pressure to look into whether the Cheltenham Festival should have been permitted to proceed at full capacity.

    "People look back now at the beginning of the pandemic at some of the major sporting events then and ask the question why were they allowed to go ahead," added Gove.

    "What we must do is look at sporting events now with caution but we also recognise that sport is a vital part of this nation and we're looking at everything we can do to support our athletes, our great clubs, through what will be a challenging time."

    The latest development comes at a time where the sports industry continues to count the cost of the global pandemic.

    Over 100 leaders from sports bodies have requested emergency funding in a letter to the prime minister.

    Sport England has handed out £200million for emergency cases, but with clubs continuing to lose money many have said that does not go far enough.

    Premier League chief executive Richard Masters told the BBC earlier this month that teams were looking at losing £700m if fans are not allowed back into grounds during the 2020-21 campaign, saying it was "absolutely critical" they were brought back.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.