Bancroft dropped by Australia for New Zealand series

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Cameron Bancroft has been dropped by Australia in what is otherwise a settled Test squad to face New Zealand.

Australia recorded innings wins in both Tests against Pakistan and opted to name a 13-man squad for their three meetings with the Black Caps.

Bancroft has struggled in the Sheffield Shield and his omission was the only change to the squad named to face Pakistan.

"As we said prior to the Pakistan series we are striving to maintain a core group of players. The performance of the team against Pakistan was very impressive across all areas, while there is always some room to improve," Australia national selector Trevor Hohns said in a statement on Tuesday.

"David Warner has been in exceptional form with the bat. The support he received from Joe Burns in Brisbane and Marnus Labuschagne in Adelaide was exactly what we had been asking for from the top order. They delivered, setting up both matches in what was an outstanding all-round performance.

"We are backing the current batting line-up to continue their form across the next three Tests. Whilst not a part of this squad, Cameron Bancroft remains one of the standby players. Similarly, depending on conditions, we reserve the right to add a player to the squad at any time during the series.

"Michael Neser and James Pattinson will continue as cover for Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood through the series. Michael will play for Queensland against New South Wales in the Marsh Sheffield Shield game at the SCG, as James did last week for Victoria."

The first Test between Australia and New Zealand will begin in Perth on December 12 before matches in Melbourne and Sydney.

Australia: Tim Paine (c), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.

Related items

  • All Blacks captain Cane undergoes successful surgery All Blacks captain Cane undergoes successful surgery

    New Zealand captain Sam Cane has undergone successful surgery on a pectoral injury.

    Cane suffered a tear in his right pectoral tendon during the Chiefs' Super Rugby Aotearoa victory over the Blues last month.

    The back-row, who is expected to be out for between four and six months, revealed he also had damage to his shoulder repaired during the procedure.

    Cane posted on Instagram: "Surgery went well. Grateful to have a very good surgeon who reattached my pectoral muscle but also tired [sic] up a few loose ends with my shoulder while he was in there

    "Looking forward to starting the rehab process and coming back stronger."

    All Blacks head coach Ian Foster said following Cane's injury blow: "We are all disappointed for Sam, but we have full faith in the medical team around him and we wish him well for his surgery and rehabilitation.

    "As All Blacks captain, he will still play a key role in our planning for the 2021 season, and we look forward to him returning to the footy field once his rehab is complete."

  • Rebels and Wallabies back Hodge to miss rest of Super Rugby AU season Rebels and Wallabies back Hodge to miss rest of Super Rugby AU season
  • Ricky Skerritt, Dr. Kishore Shallow returned unopposed as president, vice president of CWI Ricky Skerritt, Dr. Kishore Shallow returned unopposed as president, vice president of CWI

     Ricky Skerritt and Dr Kishore Shallow have been re-elected unopposed to the posts of President and Vice President respectively, of Cricket West Indies (CWI). They will serve a second two-year term. The re-election process was conducted as one of the key items on the agenda of the 22nd Annual General Meeting of CWI, today Sunday, April 11, 2021.

    “I am humbled and deeply honoured to be re-elected to serve as CWI President for a second term,” said Skerritt, whose leadership was briefly challenged by former Secretary of the Guyana Cricket Board, Anand Sanasie.

    “I take the responsibility to lead the Board of this prestigious organization, most seriously. We have much-unfinished work to do, and we renew our pledge to work untiringly to help achieve sustainable improvement, both on and off the field, for West Indies cricket.”

    Meanwhile, CWI Vice President said expressed gratitude for being able to continue to serve regional cricket.

    “I am again grateful for the continued support of the member representatives for Ricky and myself. This re-election is a victory for West Indies cricket as we continue on the path of growing the game across the region, and achieving good outcomes on all fronts and at all levels,” he said.

    In addition to the election for President and Vice President, the following persons were duly elected as Member Directors of CWI:

     Conde Riley – Barbados Cricket Association

    Calvin Hope – Barbados Cricket Association

    Bissoondyal Singh -– Guyana Cricket Board

    Hilbert Foster – Guyana Cricket Board

    Wilford Heaven – Jamaica Cricket Association

    Dr Donovan Bennett – Jamaica Cricket Association

    Enoch Lewis – Leeward Islands Cricket Board

    Leon Rodney – Leeward Islands Cricket Board

    Azim Bassarath – Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board

    Arjoon Ramlal – Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board

    Julian Charles – Windward Islands Cricket Board

    Dwain Gill – Windward Islands Cricket Board

     Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the meeting took place virtually via video conference. All of the Territorial Board Member Associations were fully represented.

     

     

     

     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.